• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jeanne17

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2012
A little late in reply I suppose, but in case you're still wondering for future reference - weeks, usually, sometimes even months. Lake Powell doesn't open on its own very much. It's opened mechanically due to a special permit that was obtained by folks with houses on/near the lake. And they've lowered the trigger point over the years so it happens quite frequently. I know this because I'm over in Pinnacle Port and we see it constantly. They bring in heavy equipment and open that sucker up. I wish they'd let it be natural and open and close on its own, but apparently development is too close to the water so when water levels rise.....

To see the permit, it was last renewed in 2012: ftp://ftp.dep.state.fl.us/pub/ENV-PRMT/bay/issued/0293538_Lake_Powell_Outfall_Maintenance/002_JM/Final%20Order.pdf - note that at that renewal, the trigger point was lowered to 2.4 (originally, years ago was 3 something, then lowered to 2.9 and now it's at 2.4, or if someone thinks it might get to 2.4 due to incoming storms...

Also, originally were supposed to test water with each opening. But sometime back in 2015 I think? They petitioned to only test it once (once) per year.... Yep.. (sigh): ftp://ftp.dep.state.fl.us/pub/ENV-PRMT/bay/issued/0293538_Lake_Powell_Outfall_Maintenance/003_JN/Final/Lake%20Powell%20Outlet%20Channel%20Water%20Quality%20Modification%20-%200293538-003-JN.pdf

Anyway, seems to be open more than closed these days. The outfall is actually quite lovely to hang out at...I do wish it was on a natural cycle. Is what it is.

Last but not least? That pic you posted - actually not bad at all. We jokingly call it black water when the tide turns out (even when the lake is open, if high tide pushing gulf in the lake, your beach view will be fairly normal - clear water - but when the tide reverses, the lake spills into the gulf, and depending on how close to the opening "event", it can look quite dark. Harmless, pine needle tannin color, but dark nevertheless.) Next time you are at beach while lake is open, if you like clearer water, try timing beach time with high tide (that is, if your dates comply...sometimes high tide is 3 am ;-) )

Last edited: