• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005
We just returned from our annual family vacation in sowal. In the 28 years that we have vacationed in the area we have grown from a family of 5 to a family of 17! Our time together with our family which inclueds 8 grand children is priceless. I am saddened to say that because of the ridiculous issues that are going on with cusomary use and beach chair vendors I am researching other areas. In order to get a space on the beach so that we could keep close tabs on our grandchildren, we had to get up at 5:30 AM to be on the beach before the beach chair company, 30A-Shade. We have small, traditional umbrellas and chairs that we transport with us year after year. Our hearts are saddened by the conditions created by the customary use issue. I am working on completing the affidavid and sending pics of our vacations dating back to 1991. I am hoping that someone takes notice and changes are made...we love sowal and don’t want to have to search for a new vacation place.
The picture of the beach chairs at the water’s edge show how we sandwiched ourselves between the vendors...we are the small umbrellas! We stayed in a 6 bedroom home in Summer’s Edge near Eastern Lake. Our beach access was at Ramsgate.

View media item 14543View media item 14542View media item 14544

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
So sad - but glad you have made some lasting memories. I hope you find another paradise that isn't lost.

The Florida story of over development keeps repeating but will end soon because there are but a few serene spots left.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
The beach Mafia Rules and BCC and TDC WILL NOT step in and control..TDC will NOT enforce the rules no matter how many calls you make....
Pictures from Blue Mountain Beach public access...

Attachments

• 2193DAC1-709B-497F-A66B-92D0457499DC.jpeg
    2193DAC1-709B-497F-A66B-92D0457499DC.jpeg
    606.6 KB · Views: 618
  • 70076110-3F6B-422E-83AE-D9D1C6A17CB2.jpeg
    70076110-3F6B-422E-83AE-D9D1C6A17CB2.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 643
  • DFAE8866-2BC3-48D2-8D59-F9B6BE8BCD93.jpeg
    DFAE8866-2BC3-48D2-8D59-F9B6BE8BCD93.jpeg
    655.7 KB · Views: 572

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are working on it! Hopefully customary use will be restored. But as you show here, beach vendors have completely ruined the world's most beautiful beaches. It is absolutely ridiculous to allow it. Other beach communities have very strict rules limiting vendors and so should we.

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005
The most frustrating thing about the vendors was that there was never a day when all of the chairs/umbrella’s were occupied. Many sat empty and just occupied space!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
The most frustrating thing about the vendors was that there was never a day when all of the chairs/umbrella’s were occupied. Many sat empty and just occupied space!
Definition of a SOWAL “Ghost Chair”....which are IlLEGAL....Law says ONLY rented chairs are allowed to be pre-Setup...However, Brian and his gang of TDC don’t enforce this law...hence lots of Ghost Chairs....but if you sit on one of them someone will pop up out of a sand dune and charge you....

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
That was my neighborhood walkover during my 11 years in SoWal. I'm glad I got out before the greed won out. If I were spending several thousand dollars to rent a vacation house, I'd be truly cheesed off. Not to mention never coming back.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
There shouldn't be any pre-setup, period. If someone wants to rent a chair, it should be set up when the person is actually at the beach and taken down when the person leaves.

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005
There shouldn't be any pre-setup, period. If someone wants to rent a chair, it should be set up when the person is actually at the beach and taken down when the person leaves.

Exactly what we kept saying the entire week! It is beyond a problem...it’s happening everywhere up and down 30 a.
We will be moving on. I am searching now for a house in Orange Beach or possibly Carillon for next year.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Easy to say. Not easy to accomplish unless you have full time gear on the beach with attendants like the resorts. Walton County shouldn't be in the beach vending business. The alternative is to lease out property and take a cut or have vendors bid on accesses. Another mess and opportunities for abuses.

The other alternative is to ban vendors on public beaches. I'm sure there are plenty of private property owners withing walking distance of an access that would be happy to make money by employing vendors and gear like a resort. Another can of worms and something that would have to be regulated by the county and more legal headaches.

However I am for banning vendors on public property. If people need chairs and umbrellas and boats, etc. let them stay at a resort. Keep the public beaches free and clean.