• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

cwalen

Beach Comber
Apr 5, 2016
Baltimore
Hey y'all

I get the Mote red tide /beach conditions updates twice a day since visiting Anna Maria Island (outside of Bradenton) a few weeks back. They are all getting hammered as I am sure y'all are well aware. I just checked it today for Henderson Beach State Park and they have it showing some dead fish but no respiratory irritation. Can anyone confirm if this is true or if SoWal has anything that would detect red tide up there? Just curious and hoping the bad stuff doesn't make it's way up to y'all.

Thanks!

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Hey y'all

I get the Mote red tide /beach conditions updates twice a day since visiting Anna Maria Island (outside of Bradenton) a few weeks back. They are all getting hammered as I am sure y'all are well aware. I just checked it today for Henderson Beach State Park and they have it showing some dead fish but no respiratory irritation. Can anyone confirm if this is true or if SoWal has anything that would detect red tide up there? Just curious and hoping the bad stuff doesn't make it's way up to y'all.

Thanks!

No red tide in Walton County that I am aware of. The FWC website is a good source for information:
Red Tide - Statewide Status

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Thank you. Fingers crossed!
I don't know where you got the info for Henderson. I see something on the Florida state parks website that expired in November 2015, but that's about all I can find.

cwalen

Beach Comber
Apr 5, 2016
Baltimore
I don't know where you got the info for Henderson. I see something on the Florida state parks website that expired in November 2015, but that's about all I can find.

SOURCE: Mote Marine Lab & Aquarium - Beach Conditions Report. Scroll up to the Henderson Beach St Park marker.

Beach Conditions Reporting System

It is indicating some dead fish - not necessarily red tide but having observed the southern gulf beaches intensely during our two week vacation -- hoping it stayed south until we left (it did) -- the dead fish indicator and the respiratory irritation usually went hand in hand at least for red tide.

Maybe it's a mistake or indicative of something altogether different....

Attachments

• Mote082318.jpg
    Mote082318.jpg
    274 KB · Views: 108

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
The Mote site isn't red tide specific. It's just a general beach condition reporting system. If there's red tide, there will be a lot of dead fish rather than "some". The other thing that is a red flag (no pun intended) is the respiratory irritation indicator. Henderson beach is none which is a good sign.