• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachmax

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2017
30-A
Obtaining a quiet title for a parcel of real estate is a long standing procedure established by the Florida legislature many many, years ago.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Getting quiet title on accesses of record are suppose to come before the BCC for approval, from my understanding. According to the county attorney, no accesses have been abandoned since she came into the office. But recent actions by Code Enforcement are in direct contradiction to that. Who are you going to believe?

beachmax

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2017
30-A
Generally speaking one can quiet claims against a parcel of real estate by filing a form in state court and placing a public notice in the newspaper. A judge then adjudicates the plaintiffs claim to sole title to the parcel and if upheld in court such ownership is filed with the county. Quiet does not apply to the process being executed in private but refers to quieting any claims to one's title.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Generally speaking one can quiet claims against a parcel of real estate by filing a form in state court and placing a public notice in the newspaper. A judge then adjudicates the plaintiffs claim to sole title to the parcel and if upheld in court such ownership is filed with the county. Quiet does not apply to the process being executed in private but refers to quieting any claims to one's title.
Doesn’t the county have to abandon it’s rights to a right of way if the parcel you are trying to get quiet title to is an access of record?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Really? Is that all it takes? Because I kinda like this parcel behind my house and no one has done anything to it for the 30 years I have lived here. Maybe Walton county will just give it to me like they have with our beach accesses.

beachma

Beach Lover
Apr 22, 2005
I mailed my Affidavit today along with 8 pages of photographs from the past 27 years of vacations in SOWAL. While we aren't residents, we have adopted the area as our home away from home and have continued to love it through all of the changes...(even though we have hated many of them, destruction of Seagrove Villas for one). Our vacation this past August was the straw that has broken the camel's back. The unfortunate consequence of the declarations of private property on the beaches being greedy beach chair vendors that occupy the entire wet sand line from one end of the beach to the other has been the deciding factor to move on. Between the wall of wooden chairs and umbrella's and ugly signs, the beaches we love have been taken away from the majority of residents and visitors. It's an appalling development that I hope is reversed by those who are working hard to save the amazing beaches of SOWAL. I will be watching the forum and will be hoping and praying for a positive outcome.

Tim Uzar

Beach Comber
Jul 30, 2017
Eastern Lake
What the hey... I just copied and pasted it:
From Joe Burton;
I want to tell you a story. It is a story about a 12 year old boy who moved to Seagrove Beach in 1993 on to a little dirt road called Campbell St. from a grassy suburb outside San Antonio, Texas. That little boy was me. My parents and I pulled up stakes and moved to the beach with a hardly a plan other than to enjoy life to it’s fullest on the sandy shores of South Walton. I was hardly a willing participant. I didn’t like the feel of the sand, nor the sting of the salt water in my eyes, or the blistering heat of the summer sun. But over time, I came to love it. I wandered all over the beach freely. I built sand castles, learned to fish from the water’s edge, and even learned to surf. The beach was a place to enjoy freely, with very little cares. I shared the beach with thousands of people over the years, without a second thought about who “owned the beach.” For the past 25 years, my beach access was at the end of the road across an easement between two condominiums. It is currently maintained by the county as a public access.

On August 30, 2018, on my evening walk with my dog, I encountered a no trespassing sign immediately at the base of the stairs. The beach I have enjoyed for 25 years is no longer one my gulf front neighbors wish to share. The ironic thing about it is that the sandy shoreline in front of both buildings at the base of my access belonged to no one until 2015, when the condos obtained it through a process called “suing for quiet title” They paid no taxes on this property, and still do not today as the property appraiser says it has no value since it is unbuildable. They also paid nothing for the sandy portion of this beach but now want to exclude me and my neighbors from enjoying as we have freely for decades. For hundreds of yards in either direction the sandy portion of the beach is deemed “private”. As I walk my dog along the shores I grew up on, I am now a criminal. My 70 year old mother, who as I am writing this cannot stop crying, wished to spend her remaining years going to the beach she loves and taking an occasional swim, is also a criminal too.

To those Gulf front owners who wish to exclude others from the sand in front of their properties, I implore you to think about what you are doing to your neighbors and your community. Think about what you are doing to the workers who serve your food, clean your pools, and take care of you when you are sick. Think about those tourists who are sitting on our shores and taking long walks along the beach for the first time just as you had at one time. You are doing damage beyond repair to their lives. Look them in the eye next time you are out. They are just like you. They were brought to the beach by an unseen force. To recreate, to heal, to connect. I think if you will look into the hearts of those you are hurting, you will see that your issue is not with us, or them. You are the most fortunate among us. Through life’s trials and tribulations, you have obtained the ultimate prize, a front row seat to one of God’s greatest shows. Please use your fortune for good, and realize that we are all essentially the same. It’s time to stop the needless suffering, and if you act now and take down these signs, we can begin to live again as one people on the shores of South Walton. Use your good fortune to build a longer table, not a higher fence. And remember, “If you are lucky enough to live at the beach, you are lucky enough.”

Thank you,

Joe Burton

That’s heartfelt. The owners do not WANT to post signage on their land. 99% of of don’t. Most owners could care less about people doing what you speak of. The issue arises when hoodlums trash your backyard or fill your beach with their “spread” or even fight on the beach in your backyard.

In the past we as beachfront owners could not ask people to move or cease their shindig because the property wasn’t “posted” according to the Sherrif. If you don’t like the signs get in line.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
That’s heartfelt. The owners do not WANT to post signage on their land. 99% of of don’t. Most owners could care less about people doing what you speak of. The issue arises when hoodlums trash your backyard or fill your beach with their “spread” or even fight on the beach in your backyard.

In the past we as beachfront owners could not ask people to move or cease their shindig because the property wasn’t “posted” according to the Sherrif. If you don’t like the signs get in line.
Empty argument. You don't move in next to a beach and not expect people to use it. If you don't have quiet enjoyment of your property then call the law like the rest of us do.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake

Do you live here full time, or do you live somewhere else and rent it out? This seems relevant because if you lived here, you could develope a relationship with the Sheriff’s Department and they could help you with these problems. If you are an absentee owner just raking in the big rental money, it might be hard to cast yourself as a poor victim here. Yeah, you can’t get your renters to run off the riff-raff.