• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
then the Mafia is in control :
  • 30 additional citizens spoke in favor of CU.
  • 10 citizens spoke against CU
  • ✔️Multiple beach front property owners said that they don’t have issues with members of the public being on the beach in front of their property and haven’t had problems with that over the years, but there are many issues with commercial beach chair vendors setting up on their property, so they don’t support Customary Use.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
then the Mafia is in control :
  • 30 additional citizens spoke in favor of CU.
  • 10 citizens spoke against CU
  • ✔️Multiple beach front property owners said that they don’t have issues with members of the public being on the beach in front of their property and haven’t had problems with that over the years, but there are many issues with commercial beach chair vendors setting up on their property, so they don’t support Customary Use.
[/QUOTE
  • Mr. Montague – He is a local resident who is an attorney. He encouraged the Board to explore whether substantial compliance is adequate and to do everything they can to ensure that the recording of the results of today’s meeting are admissible at the hearing in November. ✔️✔️He also spoke in favor of Customary Use and said property owners in his community who are selling their homes are losing prospective buyers because of this. This is having real economic impacts.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I know...what I heard was on some beaches vendors will set up any time any where they want..one owner said, “if he didn’t get up at 5:45 and get his space ( behind his own house) he would be blocked out”.....I would be be posting signs also...that’s not right..

Beach days

Beach Lover
Jul 2, 2017
Freeport
It amazes me that most of the beach property itself was quick claimed or quite title. From my understanding they have no warranty .which means the county should remove all non warrenty deeded property on the county web site. That would remove 90 percent of people who claim they own it.I think it's a shame to be fighting over beach property , that was claimed with out Merrit.viscaya beach is one of them.If you go to Walton tax map they show up all over beach front property. You can pay 3,500,000 million for land above beach but then only pay 100.00 for the beach that connects to it. The county should not allow any quick claims of the people's beach. And if that is what they think is right . they should be held accountable ,wonder how many would pay the extra 4 million to say they own the beach. Instead of a worthless quick claim of 100.00 with no real ownership.the other side is maybe the county is fine with selling the beach at 100 a shot.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
I know...what I heard was on some beaches vendors will set up any time any where they want..one owner said, “if he didn’t get up at 5:45 and get his space ( behind his own house) he would be blocked out”.....I would be be posting signs also...that’s not right..

Great catch there. Now..if we can get the non-beach front folks and their votes aligned with BFOs and their money to get these aggressive beach chair vendors off the beaches from Captain Dave's to Camp Helen we can make great strides to having a peaceful, pleasant day at the beach.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
Great facts Beach Days

We need the best attorneys on our side - it is clear Walton County is not up to this task.

They could have passed another customary use bill in the limited window but failed to do so.

The bill needs to be repealed - it makes us prove each parcel which Walton County is failing to do.

Otherwise - good by to millions of visitors and the supporting businesses.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Y’all remember Bay County said NO to CU. Strange that Walton County is one of only three counties in all of Florida having this fight!!!

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
It amazes me that most of the beach property itself was quick claimed or quite title. From my understanding they have no warranty .which means the county should remove all non warrenty deeded property on the county web site. That would remove 90 percent of people who claim they own it.I think it's a shame to be fighting over beach property , that was claimed with out Merrit.viscaya beach is one of them.If you go to Walton tax map they show up all over beach front property. You can pay 3,500,000 million for land above beach but then only pay 100.00 for the beach that connects to it. The county should not allow any quick claims of the people's beach. And if that is what they think is right . they should be held accountable ,wonder how many would pay the extra 4 million to say they own the beach. Instead of a worthless quick claim of 100.00 with no real ownership.the other side is maybe the county is fine with selling the beach at 100 a shot.

It amazes you because it's simply not true. Do you honestly believe that "most" of the beach property was just whisked away from the county by some dark magic? You think 90% of the people out there do not have a legal deed to their beach property? It that were even remotely true then why is the county spending millions on a lawsuit to even get customary use? No real ownership? If that was really true at all, then all this would have been taken care of several years ago. The only reason the county is trying customary use on all this private property is that everything you just said simply is a fantasy to discredit private beach ownership.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Y’all remember Bay County said NO to CU. Strange that Walton County is one of only three counties in all of Florida having this fight!!!

Bay County, like many coastal towns, has different circumstances than Walton County. Appears they had leadership where we did not.

The Herald Jun2018...
But the law, set to go into effect Sunday, won't affect Bay County at all, and it did not change the rule of customary use, Majka said.

"If property was subject to customary use before the law, it is still subject to customary use after the law. The only change the law made was to recognize that courts, and not local governments, traditionally determine property rights, including the scope of customary use rights," he said.

Land formed from beach renourishment projects — almost all of Panama City Beach — is owned by the public and is accessible for public use, Majka said. A majority of the beach was obtained for beach renourishment through easements obtained in one sweep in 1997, just before the city's first major nourishment project in 1998.

Because those easements now are maintained by federal and local funds, the public owns the beach from the city right of way to the high water line, according to Panama City Beach public information officer Debbie Ward. And the county now has almost 100 public beach accesses, including at St. Andrews State Park, M.B. Miller Pier, Rick Seltzer Park and dozens of other locations.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
It amazes you because it's simply not true. Do you honestly believe that "most" of the beach property was just whisked away from the county by some dark magic? You think 90% of the people out there do not have a legal deed to their beach property? It that were even remotely true then why is the county spending millions on a lawsuit to even get customary use? No real ownership? If that was really true at all, then all this would have been taken care of several years ago. The only reason the county is trying customary use on all this private property is that everything you just said simply is a fantasy to discredit private beach ownership.
It amazes me that anyone could try to claim they own the beach. It's a freakin nightmare to anyone who ever has enjoyed SoWal beaches before or now. Deplorable.