• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
What I want to know is where the MILES of public beaches he mentioned are. All I know about are Grayton Beach, small swaths of beach at the regional beach accesses, very small easements at the neighborhood beach accesses, and the three state parks. That doesn't equal miles.
There are approximately 9 miles of publicly owned beaches counting the parks.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Take out the parks, which require admission fees (the state waived them for the summer, but that's over now), and how many are left?
A little over 3 miles if I recall correctly. The parks are definitely a larger percentage than the Walton County owned areas.

Last edited:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
It might be interesting to find out how many tourists are using the beaches of South Walton on any given sun day, to see how many human beings are suppose to enjoy life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness per mile.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
A little over 3 miles if I recall correctly. The parks are definitely a larger percentage than the Walton County owned areas.
Correction: A little over 3 miles is either Walton County owned or undesignated ownership on Walton property appraiser site. Why it is undesignated I don't know, but it is used by the public and Walton County considers it public.

Shannon Lince

Beach Lover
Sep 9, 2018
Florida
Can someone explain where this idea comes from? I really don't understand how they(becahfront owners) have come to this conclusion.

Most of these properties are paying $20,000 - $50,000 a year in property tax. The highest I've seen $100,000 a year.

Say it all together now ... the beach isn't taxed! It's worthless!

Shannon

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Why can't someone have an opposing view? Shannon put a real name on here. EZ4144 and many of the rest of us can't say that, can we?
You can have an opposing view but, if you haven’t lived in this community and been committed to this community for quite awhile, your view lacks validity. I will use primitive methods espoused by our president. All caps: CARPETBAGGERS.

Everytime

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Shelby County, Alabama
You can have an opposing view but, if you haven’t lived in this community and been committed to this community for quite awhile, your view lacks validity. I will use primitive methods espoused by our president. All caps: CARPETBAGGERS.

I’ve been visiting the area frequently since around 1986, but I don’t live there, nor do I own property there, but my wife and kids and other family members and I feel like we are a part of the community when we are there because generally speaking, the locals and longtime visitors are kind and hospitable people, and MOST like to maintain the local feel of the area and protect the unique geographical and ecological qualities of the area, and that’s why I follow the political discussions that I read on this forum - I hope that those unique qualities are preserved.

I can understand people having disagreements about customary use, but to say opposing views such as those of Shannon lack validity due to his or her tenure in the area is disappointing. Haven’t the pro-customary use proponents also been encouraging affidavits and support from out of state visitors who don’t own property in the area?

I will say that I agree with a lot of the development and ecological concerns that Shannon has expressed in this forum - not necessarily in direct relation to CU.