• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Sounds like it's time to move on and find a place you can enjoy your remaining years.
Might want to sell before the customary use debacle we have found ourselves in causes the property values to bottom out and those foreclosures start showing up because of the people that cant afford it without the rental income.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
The name-calling and overt hostility of the emotional, if ignorant of the law, majority of posters here its unfortunately typical of the Antifa mindset to which they have succumbed. Not to suggest that any of them have less than at least room temperature intellects, but they sure have emotions with which to compensate, at least among one another.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
The name-calling and overt hostility of the emotional, if ignorant of the law, majority of posters here its unfortunately typical of the Antifa mindset to which they have succumbed. Not to suggest that any of them have less than at least room temperature intellects, but they sure have emotions with which to compensate, at least among one another.
Quite revealing that you would bring up fascism.

L.C. Bane

Beach Fanatic
Aug 8, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach

Politicizing this topic and passive aggressive attacks are desperate. Condescending? Perhaps. You go ahead and you do you, as it were.

Search the forum and see that I voted Trump (coservative my entire life) but have reached common ground on this subject with those that politically disagree with me.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach attorney Daniel Uhlfelder, a leader of Florida Beaches for All, a local group that wants to preserve beach use, said Huckabee's view is wrong. "It's not a private property rights issue," Uhlfelder said. "It's about the use of beaches."
You mean the use of the beaches, which is fee simple property with title and a deed and a bundle of property rights - the most important one being private use and enjoyment, is not a property rights issue!? I don't think I'd seek out Uhlfelder's legal advice.

I personally could never retain Uhlfelder. I still can’t believe he pulled out the Nazi card at a previous CU meeting where he compared GFOs to Nazis.... “and that’s why my grandparents escaped from the Nazis and came to the United States, to escape oppression (private property rights) like this.” Pretty damn insensitive and opportunistic thing to say, especially to those who lost family in the war.

His intentional and repeated antagonism of BFOs and the sheriff’s department reveals who he is. And PLEASE don’t elevate his methods by comparing him to Rosa Parks. Don’t much care for his artsy fartsy partner in crime either.

His actions promotes anarchy because the sheriff is afraid to arrest anybody for trespassing for political purposes. Yet the law TODAY supports that privately owned beach is private, pure and simple. So we have a recipe for disaster where a tourist or local challenges a homeowner and the situation escalates resulting in injury or death. (We’ve all seen YouTube videos where he gets away with trespassing.) And then think the whole scenario could have possibly been averted if they were more initially concerned that they could be arrested for trespassing instead of receiving just a slap on the hand - that they would avoid the confrontation altogether. Isn’t that what properly enforced laws with police power is all about - to discourage bad behavior and prevent anarchy?

In case you missed it, I really don’t like Uhlfelder’s methods.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
He says while he lovingly polishes his Tiki Torch.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
Huckabee is the single worse thing that ever happened to Walton county - and to deny this is his cause is idiotic.

I am conservative and a believer.

He is a selfish through and through - and does not care about the people who live here not wealthy enough to I've in beach front hoods.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
I personally could never retain Uhlfelder. I still can’t believe he pulled out the Nazi card at a previous CU meeting where he compared GFOs to Nazis.... “and that’s why my grandparents escaped from the Nazis and came to the United States, to escape oppression (private property rights) like this.” Pretty damn insensitive and opportunistic thing to say, especially to those who lost family in the war.

His intentional and repeated antagonism of BFOs and the sheriff’s department reveals who he is. And PLEASE don’t elevate his methods by comparing him to Rosa Parks. Don’t much care for his artsy fartsy partner in crime either.

His actions promotes anarchy because the sheriff is afraid to arrest anybody for trespassing for political purposes. Yet the law TODAY supports that privately owned beach is private, pure and simple. So we have a recipe for disaster where a tourist or local challenges a homeowner and the situation escalates resulting in injury or death. (We’ve all seen YouTube videos where he gets away with trespassing.) And then think the whole scenario could have possibly been averted if they were more initially concerned that they could be arrested for trespassing instead of receiving just a slap on the hand - that they would avoid the confrontation altogether. Isn’t that what properly enforced laws with police power is all about - to discourage bad behavior and prevent anarchy?

In case you missed it, I really don’t like Uhlfelder’s methods.
artsy fartsy?!?

:wacko:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob, you did give a specific answer that you would not hold commissioners accountable. Then made a leap from accountability to golden parachutes and some person answering the phone.
Your point I think is “The lack of Customary Use will negatively affect tourism which will affect employment opportunities.”

Give me some evidence - some facts that without customary use Walton local economy will be devastated.

Here’s my facts; it’s been reported that 60% for FL coast is private property. Every Florida coastal county but 2 do NOT have customary use, including the counties on both sides of Walton, Okaloosa and Bay. Even before April 17, 2017 declared customary use ordinance and after July 2018 Walton’s economy and property values have gone up. Ask bob bob, he posted July bed tax was up 4% over 2017. Bed tax has been up each year for many years including years before Walton commissioners declared custom on private property and now after.

That Walton’s economy will collapse sounds more like opinion and fear mongering for your and the commissioner’s customary use agenda, not facts. You don’t run a business or a county, well, on supposition and opinions. It's supply and demand - private owners earned what they have - the supply - and you just can't take property rights you want or create a story that owner's never owned it.

Even if true the commissioners would be responsible, not the property owners, for the house of cards (and local economy) the commissioners (and developers and REALTORS) built, based on more than a hundred MILLION of dollars of TDC tax payer money over 20 years telling tourist to come to Walton’s 26 miles of public beaches (except it’s about 75% private beaches). And don’t worry about being respectful or that trash you left behind since beachfront owners were gracious enough to share their property with you over the decades.

Why does it matter how long I or anyone else have lived here or if I’m a beachfront owner!? Does that give a person some special knowledge of the law or facts that's different in Walton? If you have read my previous posts you’d know. Since 2015 how any times has the Sheriff been called for trespass and removed ANYONE from private property? I’d guess the Sheriff has been called many times and no one’s been removed. I’ve been here long enough to know the elected Sheriff has made a political decision not to enforce the law that protects property owners right to private and peaceful enjoyment of their property. Even when owners have complied with the Sheriff’s onerous trespass standard operating procedure and or his made-up arbitrary “wet sand” property boundary. Even if you trespass and destroy court approved signs on private property you will not be charged with trespass.

You didn’t answer my previous question; have you read Blackstone’s Commentary of old English common law custom and it’s criteria? I’m sure our understanding of how ancient custom applies to Walton today 253 years later will differ but have you read it? It’s the foundation of all American customary use. Have you read the Constitution Bill of Rights 5th Amendment - rejecting much of that old English common law - and is the law of the land in the United States of America? It’s only tax payers money to litigate - would the commissioners or you spend your own money to litigate for public customary use on private property? Beachfront owners will. If private property rights prevail the least the commissioners should do is resign and hopefully voters will wake up and elect competent experience people to lead Walton County and spend their $171,400,000 wisely. It’s one thing to repair a road and another to litigate millions of tax payer dollars on Constitutional litigation that could have repaired that road and may result in nothing but ill will for a long time to come.
Look, I have been respectful to you and continue to be. We just disagree. If you are so sure of your position then you should relax and await your payday. If prior to 2015 you were able to exercise your property rights over CU then it should be an easy task to prevail in the courts. If you did not enforce your property rights that you believed you had prior to that, I think you will lose at all our expense. But I am not schooled in the law and am more than willing to let the courts decide. I understand why you continue to share what you share, because you want to spare me the expense of a protracted legal case as a taxpayer. I am certainly not trying to scare people to the cause of CU, by what I believe could happen to the economy. I do believe it will damage it, but I think had I not said anything or not, CU is a more attractive alternative to what is currently occuring. I hope you have a wonderful day and truly don't hold any ill will toward you. As I see this conversation is getting angry and really prefer not to be frustrated by the name calling and arrogance being displayed by many involved, this is the last I will discuss it. Again have a great day.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
I believe in ————. I also believe it will be decided by the Courts and whatever side happens to win the legal challenge we all lose because of the arrogance and bitterness it has brought out in us all. But hey this is our society now. So everyone get your digs in because the superiority of our cause is more righteous than the others, no matter what side of the debate you are on. Just my opinion!
If one removes the CU from your post, I personally and probably many others agree with the rest.