• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
True, the only need for it is in connection with buildings and roads that are close enough to the water to be vulnerable to storm impacts. The parks, for example, don't participate, and I think WaterSound was going to be left out because development is so far back from the beach. Special care would have to be taken with the dune lake outfalls. A project along about 18 miles of coastline in Walton County had been looked at, but it was tabled by the county commission, so no current plans for a new renourishment project.

Garrett Horn

Beach Lover
Mar 2, 2017
Where is beach renourishment needed in 30A? The beaches I’ve used seem to recover from tropical storms and hurricanes pretty well on their own. The coastal dune lakes and “bluff” dunes probably help with that. Miramar Beach, however, has no lakes and fewer, smaller dunes, but the “real” problem there is that many of the structures were built MUCH too close to the waterline!

What effect will artificially renourishibg the natural beaches have on the coastal dune lakes? This obviously wasn’t an issue in Miramar.
I've always thought beach re-nourishment would be very problematic in relationship to the Coastal Dune Lakes. How could you add sand on either side, (I'm assuming, of course, you don't pile it in front of an outfall) and not have it affect the outfalls. Just does not compute.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
After a handful of years with a few homes placing private property signs on the beaches It really got going when a handful of Beachfront owners in 2015 banded together to stop beach nourishment. There is a NY Times article on this thread about Mike Huckabee's involvement in influencing that outcome. No conspiracy, truth. I was also against beach nourishment for very different reasons; hard to acquire sand, expensive and I frankly did not think it really has that much of effect saving the beaches. Now, I really think it could work just fine; couldn't hurt. A very small number of beachfront owners started this nonsense egged on by a powerful law firm. That coalition was born from the beach nourishment issue. In time our beaches will be restored to customary use because the alternative is unthinkable. In time.
Dave R, more false facts. "...a handful of Beachfront owners ..."? Wrong again! Where do you come up with your facts? It's a conspiracy theory that Huckabee was responsible for beach fortification or passage of HB631 by 145 legislators, including local Rep Brad Drake.
The NY Times piece could have been written about me or any other of the hundreds of beachfront owners I know opposing Walton commissioners beach fortification based on private property rights concerns, ECL, and bad sand. The Walton commissioners easement was rejected by 973 of the 1,037 beachfront owners - hardly a handful. "... egged on by a powerful law firm"? First no law firm egged on any property owner to fork over a lot of money by being egged on; you can blame the incompetent commissioners that wasted over a million tax payer dollars on this failed doomed project. Beachfront properties have been through Eloise, Opal, Ivan and many others before that and the shore line has recovered each time. I’m not worried about my private beachfront future for the next hundreds of years either; just get the government bureaucracy out of the way and let me maintain my property. Many beachfront owners sought out multiple attorneys as evidenced by the recent September 8 Walton Public Hearing fiasco. Not a handful. More fake facts. The attempt to take property rights without compensation under the guise of an obscure ancient old English common law of custom in the USA is unthinkable.