• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Point spreads are for people betting money. If there's a house, the house wins in case of a tie. But we aren't betting money, nor do we have a house. I said we should NOT use integer spreads. Spreads that are noninteger, say 16.5, make it impossible for there to be a tie because a team can't score a half of a point. The reason that cnestg8r used spreads is that there are certain teams that our pickers like, but if we had A&M at Alabama with not points, everyone would probably pick Bama. Then there would be no differentiation between the pickers. When virtually everyone picks the same team for a game, it's not interesting. The only way to avoid this without points is to pick games that are expected to be close. That would not be interesting if we didn't care about the teams playing that game.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
WEEK V SCHEDULE

I will have spread games from now on with half points (or non-integers if you prefer:D). BR is correct, we need the point spread games or else everyone would pick Georgia this week, for example. By popular request, a very busy and interesting slate this week.

Thursday 9/27/18

UNC at Miami (-18.5) (The U, not the Ohio)

Friday 9/28/18

UCLA at Colorado(-10.5)

Saturday 9/29/18

Syracuse at Clemson(-22.5)
West Virginia at Texas Tech
Virginia at NC State
Texas at Kansas State
Old Dominion at East Carolina
Tennessee at Georgia(-31.5)
Florida State at Louisville
Florida at Mississippi State
Virginia Tech at Duke
South Carolina at Kentucky
Ohio State at Penn State
Stanford at Notre Dame
Ole Miss at LSU(-11.5)
Oregon at California
:drink:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
WEEK V SCHEDULE

I will have spread games from now on with half points (or non-integers if you prefer:D). BR is correct, we need the point spread games or else everyone would pick Georgia this week, for example. By popular request, a very busy and interesting slate this week.

Thursday 9/27/18

Friday 9/28/18

UCLA at Colorado(-10.5)

Saturday 9/29/18

West Virginia at Texas Tech
Virginia at NC State
Texas at Kansas State
Florida State at Louisville
Virginia Tech at Duke
Ohio State at Penn State
Stanford at Notre Dame
Ole Miss at LSU(-11.5)
Oregon at California
:drink:

I'm in the cellar again. No surprise there. Thanks for the extra games btw.

Red Dawg I

Beach Lover
Dec 16, 2013
DFS

UCLA at Colorado(-10.5)

West Virginia
at Texas Tech
Virginia at NC State
Texas at Kansas State
Florida State
at Louisville
Virginia Tech at Duke
Ohio State
at Penn State
Stanford at Notre Dame
Ole Miss at LSU(-11.5)
Oregon
at California

ROLL TIDE!

Bac

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2013
Some good points here, so let’s make a few others.

1) The House ( I know we don’t have one...) does not win in case of a “ point spread” tie ...(like +/- 14 in the Missouri game)
- It’s called a PUSH, or sometimes a NO BET
- Anyone presenting their ticket to the betting window will get their money refunded, irrespective of which side the bettor bet on...but of course, not everyone will remember to take their ticket to the window to request their refund...( in which case, the House WILL win )

2) Point Spreads ( whether 13.5, 14, or 14.5 blah, blah, blah ) are set these days by computers...and are designed to take into account literally hundreds of factors...like weather, injuries, QB ‘ family issues’, revenge for last time loss, blah, blah, blah)
- The House ( I know we do not have one) examines all the “ situational factors” , and how they might affect the game, to set the lines
- Generally speaking, they realize people living in the largest cities, or even smaller—But with avid fans— will go “ hog wild “to bet their favorite teams ( no offense intended for Arkansas ) , so they set the lines at a number where they think they are most likely to get their share of the vig
- And , generally speaking, unsuspecting bettors ( like you and me...) will simply bet the FAVORITES and/or the “ OVERS” in games...the lines are set accordingly...whether NCAAFB, Professional or College —-basketball, baseball, football .....whatever...

All that said, thinking 2019 we can get a lot of people in the SoWal “ pool “ , and will propose how.

But, in the meantime, my picks...

Bac

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2013
Miami -18.5
Colorado-10.5
Syracuse + 22.5
Texas Tech
NC State
Texas
Old Dominion
Tennessee +31.5
Louisville
Mississippi State
Duke
Kentucky
Ohio State
Stanford
LSU
California

Bac

Beach Lover
Jan 30, 2013
Oops

LSU -11.5 ...good example of not specifying the point spread... could be interpreted several ways... so now clarified

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Thursday 9/27/18

UNC

Friday 9/28/18

Colorado(-10.5)

Saturday 9/29/18

Syracuse
West Virginia
NC State
Texas