• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
It is bad East of PC, but I’m sure fake news CNN is making it appear worst. “ you need a deep water flood shot? I’ll stand in a deep ditch.”
And Elvis and Jim Morrison are doing a double billing at Red Bar tonight. Be sure to wear your MAGA hat for free entry.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Take your political trash talk to the lounge. People have lost alot and as usual you have to take it down this road. GTFO with this crap.
Pointing out the many times debunked fake meme of steelman. If you don't like it, tough.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Take your political trash talk to the lounge. People have lost alot and as usual you have to take it down this road. GTFO with this crap.
I think steelman's semi-literate ramblings were in bad taste even for him.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
I think steelman's semi-literate ramblings were in bad taste even for him.
Agree and I now admit I should have responded in a different manner, but the laziness of fake meme posters who believe this crap gets tiresome and is not helpful in these tragic disasters but apparently L.C. is fine with it. That photo has been around since 2008 and is easily fact checked. This is from the Weekly Standard where they take these fake posters like steelman to task for sharing misinformation.
Recently Facebook has provided third-party fact-checkers the ability to review photos posted on its platform.

You know the type: Fake photos of a shark gallivanting through Houston after a flood (or Puerto Rico, or maybe New York), the false quote stitched beside a picture of Honest Abe, etc.

What’s interesting about certain false photos is not that the photo itself is incorrect but that the context is, which makes it (apparently) far more difficult for many on the internet to differentiate between fact and fiction.

Take for instance the photo of CNN’s Anderson Cooper waist deep in floodwater. The photo was shared by hundreds of thousands of folks on Facebook who claimed that CNN faked the camera shot to make it appear as if the water was deeper than it actually was in most locations.

One of the reasons this photo gained so much traction was due to another video in which a weatherman appears to be fighting strong winds while two people in the background are casually strolling about. (Not dissimilar to an older Today Show faux pas wherein a weather reporter paddled a canoe while two people passed through the shot revealing the ankle-deep water.)

Screenshots of that video were then paired with shots from Cooper’s show years before, suggesting “If the media will lie about this what else are they lying about?”

But Anderson Cooper was not lying.

The photos come from Cooper’s coverage of Hurricane Ike in 2008, in which he notes that “the rescue personnel, the vehicles coming through this water are able to drive on part of the road here, but just off to the side of the road the water just gets incredibly deep.” During this, the camera shows rescue vehicles driving on the road where the camera man is, correctly noting the different depths in each location. “If I step back even a few more feet,” Cooper continued, “I’d basically be up to my neck in water.”

In sharing these photos with captions suggesting that CNN was lying to viewers (as Donald Trump Jr. did), social media users have ironically become purveyors of misinformation themselves.

TWS Fact Check fears that with photos such as these users won’t bother to check the surrounding context. (Why trouble yourself when the narrative seems so clear?) We long for the day when internet users are struck with continued skepticism and the ability to “just say no” to sharing misinformation.

raven316

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Athens, GA
Agree and I now admit I should have responded in a different manner, but the laziness of fake meme posters who believe this crap gets tiresome and is not helpful in these tragic disasters but apparently L.C. is fine with it. That photo has been around since 2008 and is easily fact checked. This is from the Weekly Standard where they take these fake posters like steelman to task for sharing misinformation.

Bah, don't apologize. These RMNJ's thrive on it. If you fight back you are a union thug and if you don't you're a snowflake.