• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
Does anyone know what the Real Estate and Management Companies in South Walton especially along 30A are contributing to the Relief Effort ? What about Destin and Sandestin? Haven't heard anything? Some of these homes and condos could be used to shelter people pouring in from east of here..Hwy 98 is jammed and resources are being stretched. We have thousands of first responders and relief personnel who need to be able to live and function also. The Resort and Management Companies need to step up and tell visitors to postpone their vacations. We have thousands of homeless people 50 miles east of here devastated and will be affected for months and months to come. Right now We need to serve their needs and not tourists.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Everyone is trying to help out but they aren't going to tell people to cancel bookings or not to vacation here. Canceling contracts or altering their business not to serve their clients (owners) best interest is not good business.

But anyone who has space is scrambling to fill it to help out. I'm sure many owners are also. There is a lot of empty property that is not on the rental market that I'd like to see opened up. We also need FEMA to step up with temp housing.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
Everyone is trying to help out but they aren't going to tell people to cancel bookings or not to vacation here. Canceling contracts or altering their business not to serve their clients (owners) best interest is not good business.

But anyone who has space is scrambling to fill it to help out. I'm sure many owners are also. There is a lot of empty property that is not on the rental market that I'd like to see opened up. We also need FEMA to step up with temp housing.
Extraordinary times call for extraordinary measures. FEMA has

karatstravels

Beach Comber
Jun 24, 2008
The Resort and Management Companies need to step up and tell visitors to postpone their vacations. We have thousands of homeless people 50 miles east of here devastated and will be affected for months and months to come. Right now We need to serve their needs and not tourists.

So we have our planned annual vacation to Watercolor in 2 weeks, does this mean tourists are not welcome? We considered going elsewhere but thought our vacation dollars would be welcome to local businesses who may struggle due to lost vacationers. We certainly don't want to be a burden or unwelcome.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
So we have our planned annual vacation to Watercolor in 2 weeks, does this mean tourists are not welcome? We considered going elsewhere but thought our vacation dollars would be welcome to local businesses who may struggle due to lost vacationers. We certainly don't want to be a burden or unwelcome.

Yes tourists are more than welcome especially now in the off-season when our businesses need you! Just a few things to be aware of and that is that Publix shelves might be a little bit low as well as our fuel supply We have gas and Publix is in full operational mode but locals are loading up on supplies to deliver east. People from the effected areas are coming here to get gas if they can.

Practical actions to consider: fill your tank before you hit Freeport. Bring some of your own groceries or hit the store in Freeport before crossing the bridge into South Walton.

Also check with your rental company on any other issues or concerns you may have

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
Consider postponing your vacation or donating it to a family in need of refuge. Everybody's asking how they could help so this is my suggestion to you. You do realize if it had come ashore 50 miles west there would be no Watercolor.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
Yes tourists are more than welcome especially now in the off-season when our businesses need you! Just a few things to be aware of and that is that Publix shelves might be a little bit low as well as our fuel supply We have gas and Publix is in full operational mode but locals are loading up on supplies to deliver east. People from the effected areas are coming here to get gas if they can.

Solutions to consider: fill your tank before you hit Freeport. Bring some of your own groceries or hit the store in Freeport before crossing the bridge into South Walton.

Also check with your rental company on any other issues or concerns you may have
Teresa..I'm and usually on your side but we have plenty of second homeowners pouring in and people who need refuge who have no homes left east of us..the businesses will do plenty of business without tourists. Heaven forbid that a homeowner in the upscale resorts lose out on a week or two after jamming thousands of people into their homes from April through October

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Consider postponing your vacation or donating it to a family in need of refuge. Everybody's asking how they could help so this is my suggestion to you. You do realize if it had come ashore 50 miles west there would be no Watercolor.
Disagree - no one should postpone or cancel. Short term vacation rentals are not going to go to help evacuees. Most people I know who live here are giving time, resources, and money. They don't need you or anyone else to turn away business. Your opinion may come from a desire to help but is not helpful.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Disagree - no one should postpone or cancel. Short term vacation rentals are not going to go to help evacuees. Most people I know who live here are giving time, resources, and money. They don't need you or anyone else to turn away business. Your opinion may come from a desire to help but is not helpful.
Also keep in mind that we have a lot of displaced people now working in SoWal so the more business the better. Some people literally have no home and no job, no income and need the work to eat and support kids.