• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
SERC%20WM%20stations%2097-05.png SERC%20WM%20stations%2097-05.png FIU%20current%20monitoring.png

Maybe this might give you an idea of the magnitude of the cuts in water monitoring that happened because of Rick Scott.

raven316

Beach Lover
Nov 12, 2007
Athens, GA
I asked because I guessed correctly that you are confusing the green algae coming from Lake Okeechobee from Red Tide that forms in the ocean. It's like confusing an allegation with evidence.
“The hopeful one is that strong winds from the hurricane blow red tide offshore,” says Hastings.

But if Tropical Storm Michael turns into a rain maker, it could be bad news .

“The heavy rain will dilute farm and agriculture areas of all the nutrients, nitrates, phosphates and rain them into the beaches and coastal areas that serve to fertilize the red tide, exactly what we don’t want,” explains Hastings.

Dr. Hastings says heavy rain and runoff could turn the already 145-mile-long bloom that stretches more than 10 miles out into the Gulf into an even bigger algae bloom.

“If there are a lot of nutrients released into the water from the heavy rain, it would be a bad thing and it doesn’t matter how close the storm is. I think it’s a likely possibility,” says Hastings.

With millions of dollars going towards research, Dr. Hastings says it’s time money went to better regulation.

“Eight to 10 years ago, our water management districts were excellent, were better at monitoring, but in the last eight to 10 years, we’ve seen a decrease in monitoring and a decrease in concern for the nutrients going into the ocean,” says Hastings.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Red Tide has become a political issue but keep it to the facts or respectful debate.

Political posts on this thread were moved to a new thread in the SoWal Lounge.