• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
BCC is considering applying for a grant:

Grant Applications:
Request approval to apply for a
Federal Clean Water Act Section
319(h) Grant from the Florida Department of Environmental
Protection to connect existing septic systems to sewer within
theCoastal Dune Lake Protection Zone

The Florida Department of Environmental Protection is currently soliciting for grant applications
for projects that qualify for their nonpoint source funds.
The deadline for the grant application is
November 15, 2018.

Section 319(h) of the Clean Water Act provides federal funding to address nonpoint source
pollution. One qualifying activity for this funding is septic to sewer projects.

Policy CM
-
1.2.5 of the Walton County Comprehensive Plan Coastal Management section states
that septic tanks shall not be permitted near any coastal wetlands, coastal dune lakes and their outfalls, living resources, coastal dune and dune systems, beaches, and other coastal wildlifehabitats until an applicant has received approval from the Florida Department of Health/County
Health Department, and then only if there is no central system available.

There are approximately 80 septic systems located within the Coastal Dune Lake Protection Zone
of the 15 Walton County Coastal Dune Lakes that have not been connected to central sewer.
Asseptic systems fail within these areas, they are required to hook up to central sewer, if available.

The goal of the proposed project is toreduce the pollution loading potentially caused by septic
systems to the Coastal Dune Lakes by providing a 60% discount to these property owners to
voluntarily convert their septic systems to sewer.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
The holdouts have been offered discounts before and some refused to do the right thing. This should be mandatory for the health and safety of our locals and visitors. And for the health of our environment. It seems like TDC funds should be used for this. I suppose the new amendment has to pass to allow this. But if it doesn't, then the county, the DEP and Regional Utilities need to work together to make it happen.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
The holdouts have been offered discounts before and some refused to do the right thing. This should be mandatory for the health and safety of our locals and visitors. And for the health of our environment. It seems like TDC funds should be used for this. I suppose the new amendment has to pass to allow this. But if it doesn't, then the county, the DEP and Regional Utilities need to work together to make it happen.

If people won't do the right thing voluntarily, I wonder if a lien could be put on the property in the amount of the conversion. Not sure that is an option, but if it is, there is at least the possibility of getting the cost of conversion back if the property is sold. Anyone know if this would be an option?

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
If people won't do the right thing voluntarily, I wonder if a lien could be put on the property in the amount of the conversion. Not sure that is an option, but if it is, there is at least the possibility of getting the cost of conversion back if the property is sold. Anyone know if this would be an option?
No. You can't go on a property and do n actual conversion without consent. The only way I think you could force a conversion is some type of ordinance with fines. Even then don't know if you could get it passed or if it would hold up in court if challenged.

I'd like to see a concerted campaign of education and public pressure. Even if you got most there probably will have plenty who don't want the expense, or recurring expense.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
No. You can't go on a property and do n actual conversion without consent. The only way I think you could force a conversion is some type of ordinance with fines. Even then don't know if you could get it passed or if it would hold up in court if challenged.

I'd like to see a concerted campaign of education and public pressure. Even if you got most there probably will have plenty who don't want the expense, or recurring expense.

What would you say would be the individual expense for each property owner and what would be included in those expenses?

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
What would you say would be the individual expense for each property owner and what would be included in those expenses?
Hopefully someone current can respond. It's been about ten years since I did it. I believe it was about $3,500 and you could spread out payments. I had to hire a plumber to do the actual hookup and that was a hundred or so. Then ongoing is water/sewer bill - mine is around $75/month.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Has been approved to pursue grant...

The deadline for the grant application is
November 15, 2018.

Section 319(h) of the Clean Water Act provides federal funding to address nonpoint source
pollution. One qualifying activity for this funding is septic to sewer projects.

1.2.5 of the Walton County Comprehensive Plan Coastal Management section states
that septic tanks shall not be permitted near any coastal wetlands, coastal dune lakes and their
outfalls, living resources, coastal dune and dune systems, beaches, and other coastal wildlife
habitats until an applicant has received approval from the Florida Department of Health/County
Health Department, and then only if there is no central system available.

There are approximately 80 septic systems located within the Coastal Dune Lake Protection Zone
of the 15 Walton County Coastal Dune Lakes that have not been connected to central sewer.
As septic systems fail within these areas, they are required to hook up to central sewer, if available.

The goal of the proposed project is to reduce the pollution loading potentially caused by septic
systems to the Coastal Dune Lakes by providing a 60% discount to these property owners to
voluntarily convert their septic systems to sewer.

..............................................................................................

As you can see above, owners will have to hook up eventually as apparently no repair or replacement septic permits will be issued so if the grant is approved it would be wise for owners to take advantage of it now.