• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Obtained By Public Records Request

Mell Smigielski [mailto:citymanager@defuniaksprings.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 10:57 AM
To: Bob Campbell; Henry Ennis; Janie Griffith; Kermit Wright; Loretta Laird; ronkelley@defuniaksprings.net; waynegraham@defuniaksprings.net; Charles Burney; Chris Mitchell; publicworks@defuniaksprings.net; Cynthia Permenter; Debra Gibson; Jim Gierlinski; Kelly Schultz; Lacey Woodham; Lisa Gierlinski; Michael Lolley; Morgan Hulion; Ryan Adams; weeksma@defuniakspringspolice.net
Cc: Clayton@adkinsonlaw.com; Clay Adkinson
Subject: Krika Case

Many of you have heard the Krika case has been settled. The Krika case against the City, as you may know, was dismissed. But the individual case against Chief Weeks and Captain Lolley continued. Our insurance company did represent both individuals and agreed to a settlement without conferring with the City. As you can see below, the settlement was for $200,000.00 with an additional incurred legal expense of $98,669.79. So the million dollar question is if the settlement will have an effect on our insurance premiums in the coming year or two. If you read further below, an e-mail from Clayton and from Mr. Conley is copied and pasted for your review. In essence, our premiums will likely go up as a result of the settlement.

Mel,

Here is an email that I received from the League when I inquired about whether the city’s premium would go up as a result of the Krika settlement. Since we have had a couple of council members ask about this perhaps you should send all of them a copy of this email, or if you prefer I can send it to them. Please advise.

Clayton

Sent from my iPad

Begin forwarded message:

Date: January 29, 2019 at 1:23:09 PM CST
To: "clayton@adkinsonlaw.com" <clayton@adkinsonlaw.com>
Subject: settlement, premiums

Hi Clayton,

I got an email that you were curious how much a recent settlement might affect the city’s premium. It’s impossible to put a specific number on it. However, there is a factor in the premium calculation that reflects claims activity. And yes, the premium will most likely go up because that settlement will drive up the total claims $ paid, which in turn drives up that factor. The rating system also has a capping mechanism to prevent an increase from being too large. Rather, it spreads out the resulting increase over two or three years.

Tom Conley

Account Executive
Florida League of Cities, Inc.
www.flcities.com

Mell Smigielski, City Manager
71 US HWY 90 West
PO Box 685

De Funiak Springs, FL 32435
(850) 892-8500 – Office
(850) 978-7618 – Cell

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
PLEASE NOTE THE COMMENT: "Our insurance company did represent both individuals and agreed to a settlement without conferring with the City."

So, the City foots the bill to the tune of $298,669.70 for a lawsuit the League of Cities settled without consulting the City, the City gets to pay the bill and WE the taxpayer bear the cost of the settlement and the increased insurance premiums! How much more money is Weeks going to be allowed to cost the taxpayers??? Don't forget the City also settled with the 2 police officers who were fired and had to give them back their jobs including back pay and make them whole again!!

Lovely...just lovely!