• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
Does anyone else think that it's odd that water and sewer bills follow a fee structure that is based on the number and type of fixtures in your home? The more fixtures, the higher the bill regardless of water usage. We're paying 25% more for a new home vs. our previous home because the new home has more toilets and sinks. This is highway robbery.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Does anyone else think that it's odd that water and sewer bills follow a fee structure that is based on the number and type of fixtures in your home? The more fixtures, the higher the bill regardless of water usage. We're paying 25% more for a new home vs. our previous home because the new home has more toilets and sinks. This is highway robbery.
What is the fee structure? I never knew there was one. We pay about $78 a month.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Here's a link to the web site:
Water and Sewer Rates | Regional Utilities
Refer to Monthly Water and Monthly Sewer. You'll see "Rates Subject to Increase Based on Fixture Value Worksheet". Depending on the number of fixtures in your home, you may pay an additional 25% or 50%.

That seems totally unfair that your monthly rate per volume would be higher just because you have more fixtures.

I found the fixture value worksheet and it only mentions increased impact fees. Nothing about monthly increases. Very strange.

Attachments

• Fixture Value Worksheet 2018.pdf
    88 KB · Views: 123

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
Go to the document library and select 2018 Rate Schedule. ERC (whatever that means) is determined by the Fixture Value Worksheet. On the fee schedule , you'll see reference to the basic fee and then there's reference to homes that have an ERC of 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75.
I completed the Worksheet for our new home and the ERC came to a little over the 1 ERC minimum. So if my house sits empty for a month, I will pay more for water than a house sitting empty with fewer fixtures.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Go to the document library and select 2018 Rate Schedule. ERC (whatever that means) is determined by the Fixture Value Worksheet. On the fee schedule , you'll see reference to the basic fee and then there's reference to homes that have an ERC of 1.25, 1.5 and 1.75.
I completed the Worksheet for our new home and the ERC came to a little over the 1 ERC minimum. So if my house sits empty for a month, I will pay more for water than a house sitting empty with fewer fixtures.
Sorry, i must be missing something. Those ERC values only seem to apply to impact fees, not monthly rates. The exception is the statement about grinder pump maintenance, which says 7.53 per ERC. I attached the rate sheet.

Attachments

• RATESHEET 2018.pdf
    14.6 KB · Views: 55

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
The ERC determines your impact fee and monthly service fee. The monthly minimum for 1 ERC is 23.02 for water and 42.59 for sewer. If the ERC is 1.25, then the monthly minimum for water is 28.78 and 53.24 for sewer.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
The ERC determines your impact fee and monthly service fee. The monthly minimum for 1 ERC is 23.02 for water and 42.59 for sewer. If the ERC is 1.25, then the monthly minimum for water is 28.78 and 53.24 for sewer.
Thanks for clearing this up regarding the minimum. I had no idea, and agree it is unfair.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
So the logic is:
With so many rental properties that are vacant a vast majority of the year, Regional Utilities would go broke charging for actual usage (unless you go over your allotment - which I haven't ever done in 20 years). If you think about it, it makes sense - I guess...