• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Chiringo Party for The Red Bar Employee Relief Fund
Thursday February 14 from 11am til 5pm.

Join us tomorrow to help support Red Bar from 11am -5pm! Spread the word!

Serving Oyster City Brewery and pulled pork plates.

Relief Fund managed by South Walton Artificial Reef Association

FB_IMG_1550108970113.jpg

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
With permission I am sharing this update posted by our friend Rene Endres today. Love these words so much. ❤️ I am reminded of the wonderful community of people who love, live and visit our beach town.

Rene:

Dear Friends, I wish to say thank you to all of the incredible outpouring of love this community has bestowed upon our Redbar family. Oli and I can’t even begin to return all the messages, we are trying, so many, filled with so much love. The hearts of people everywhere, the speed with which they gave to us, how quickly this community mobilized to help, we are in awe. From the policeman and firemen that worked tirelessly from 5am this morning until after dark. To the men and women from, not just Santa Rosa Beach, but from all over this incredible nation who pulled together, coming forward, with such acts of overwhelming kindness that words from me could not thank them enough. Please know, in one day, this community came together in such an otherworldly way that we will be able to rebuild, and rebuild quickly. Redbar was a beautiful building that housed character, grace, warmth, welcoming and camaraderie. It was a place people shared some of the most precious times and moments of their lives. Redbar, the building, was historical, yes, but, she was simply, a building. Redbar is Oliver Petit. Redbar is the incredible people who worked within her confines. Redbar was the collective and extension of a community spirit that shone through every note ever played on her stage, sung, laughed to, danced to or cried to. Redbar, the building, while she held the souls of so many meaningful moments, still remains right there on Hotz Avenue inside the hearts of all those that have shared their stories, their tears, and their love for the man and the people that made this special magic for every person that walked through that Bryan Hand inspired, brilliantly, designed front door. Yes, we lost her, the building. But in no way have we lost Redbar. Redbar is here. She is in all of us who shared space with her. She will be again. She will have a few new bones, but the spirit, it’s attitude and the contact this place made with people from all over this world, came from inside the people that embodied her magic. With this, like the Phoenix from the ashes, today, while heartbreaking beyond belief, also proved without a doubt, the beauty of humanity. Thank you, everyone for shining so brightly for all of us in this dark moment. Thank you for loving on Oli. Thank you for loving our family. Thank you for sharing your stories, your messages, your time, and all you have offered. If today is any indication of what the future brings, if how miracles can happen with such love and speed, there will be music, laughter, and new memories begging to be made as new doors will open by summer. New doors that will open to the same soul and spirit that hasn’t left us at all. It is here and always will be. Redbar exists within the undying spirit of Oliver Petit, his genius ability of hospitality, the beauty of our Redbar family, and this community. This is her true essence. We are all Redbar. We will catch our breath again, and we will all be tapping our feet together, again, soon. We love you all. Thank you.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I wrote a story awhile back (it's pretty long, but worth it) and my hopes are to include it in my next book, which is pending, of course, on me getting more good stories down on paper. It dawned on me today that the central character may have been the Old Butler Store, It's somewhat unsettling to know that the "central character" of one of your best stories is now a pile of ashes...

ELEVEN LAKES

The Swimming Pool was one of our favorite spots. It was the epitome of seclusion. It was just the perfect place to listen to Creedence and howl at the moon.

Hey LV2 - the person who had The Swimming Pool put in was none other than Eden's Miss Lois Maxon. Per my late brother Steve, who remembered when she kept it maintained for the local youth to swim in.

If I'm not mistaken, The Swimming Pool was incorporated into Dr. Davie's place on 30A. So, whoever owns that house and property now, you need to host LV2 at his next book signing. :cool:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
With permission I am sharing this update posted by our friend Rene Endres today. Love these words so much. ❤️ I am reminded of the wonderful community of people who love, live and visit our beach town.

Rene:

Dear Friends, I wish to say thank you to all of the incredible outpouring of love this community has bestowed upon our Redbar family. Oli and I can’t even begin to return all the messages, we are trying, so many, filled with so much love. The hearts of people everywhere, the speed with which they gave to us, how quickly this community mobilized to help, we are in awe. From the policeman and firemen that worked tirelessly from 5am this morning until after dark. To the men and women from, not just Santa Rosa Beach, but from all over this incredible nation who pulled together, coming forward, with such acts of overwhelming kindness that words from me could not thank them enough. Please know, in one day, this community came together in such an otherworldly way that we will be able to rebuild, and rebuild quickly. Redbar was a beautiful building that housed character, grace, warmth, welcoming and camaraderie. It was a place people shared some of the most precious times and moments of their lives. Redbar, the building, was historical, yes, but, she was simply, a building. Redbar is Oliver Petit. Redbar is the incredible people who worked within her confines. Redbar was the collective and extension of a community spirit that shone through every note ever played on her stage, sung, laughed to, danced to or cried to. Redbar, the building, while she held the souls of so many meaningful moments, still remains right there on Hotz Avenue inside the hearts of all those that have shared their stories, their tears, and their love for the man and the people that made this special magic for every person that walked through that Bryan Hand inspired, brilliantly, designed front door. Yes, we lost her, the building. But in no way have we lost Redbar. Redbar is here. She is in all of us who shared space with her. She will be again. She will have a few new bones, but the spirit, it’s attitude and the contact this place made with people from all over this world, came from inside the people that embodied her magic. With this, like the Phoenix from the ashes, today, while heartbreaking beyond belief, also proved without a doubt, the beauty of humanity. Thank you, everyone for shining so brightly for all of us in this dark moment. Thank you for loving on Oli. Thank you for loving our family. Thank you for sharing your stories, your messages, your time, and all you have offered. If today is any indication of what the future brings, if how miracles can happen with such love and speed, there will be music, laughter, and new memories begging to be made as new doors will open by summer. New doors that will open to the same soul and spirit that hasn’t left us at all. It is here and always will be. Redbar exists within the undying spirit of Oliver Petit, his genius ability of hospitality, the beauty of our Redbar family, and this community. This is her true essence. We are all Redbar. We will catch our breath again, and we will all be tapping our feet together, again, soon. We love you all. Thank you.

Thank you for writing and for sharing. Those of us who hold dear our memories of the Old Butler/Grayton Beach Store are grateful to Oli and his vision so that the building became world-famous as Red Bar, did not fall into dereliction, and we were able to enjoy nearly 25 more years there. We are wrestling with emotions as it was so much more than just a building to us, but we also look forward to the reincarnated Red Bar. In the meantime, our prayers and love are with the Redbar family and Oli as the process begins.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Hey LV2 - the person who had The Swimming Pool put in was none other than Eden's Miss Lois Maxon. Per my late brother Steve, who remembered when she kept it maintained for the local youth to swim in.

If I'm not mistaken, The Swimming Pool was incorporated into Dr. Davie's place on 30A. So, whoever owns that house and property now, you need to host LV2 at his next book signing. :cool:

is that the red brick house on the south side of 30A between Grayton and BMB?