• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Recent installation on the beach at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park by Walton County TDC.

".. to install markers to aid visitors in locating the Sea Horse Reef South Walton Artificial Reef Association installed just off the park's shoreline a few years ago. They also brought a beautiful information sign as well."

Wow on the poles erected on the beach. Overkill or a good way to mark the spot? Is this necessary for swimmers as a guide from the water?

FB_IMG_1549836275156.jpg

FB_IMG_1549836308056.jpg

FB_IMG_1549836287058.jpg

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
As ugly as they are put yourself in the shoes (or fins) of a diver swimming out to the reef. They are big enough for somebody that far out to be able to be seen from the surface of the water in whatever waves may be present. You line them up so you only see one pole, and you know that you will swim right over the reef.

But they are SO ugly...

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
As ugly as they are put yourself in the shoes (or fins) of a diver swimming out to the reef. They are big enough for somebody that far out to be able to be seen from the surface of the water in whatever waves may be present. You line them up so you only see one pole, and you know that you will swim right over the reef.

But they are SO ugly...

I can understand this and figured there was a method to the marker. There are several places where reefs have been installed so I suppose we will see more poles. Wish we could have other ways such as GPS or an app or something that doesn't impact the beach especially our preserved beaches

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I'm sure that yellow is highly visible, but it doesn't come close to being beachy in any way! Seems like there might be a shade of blue or green that would work.