• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
The cost of heating a pool is really dependant on two things; the outside air temps. and how much rain we get. (Rain really cools the pool) Our pool is a similiar size and during March it runs about $100/week! That's heating it to 85 degrees. I have heated it to 89 degrees before, which is really nice when it's in the 70's outside, but that can run $125 a week.

In the Spring when you HAVE to have heat we build the cost into the rate. In the fall when people are looking for a deal and there is a chance you won't need heat we make it an extra charge. We usually start heating in the first or second week in October. We turn the heat off in Mid May.

Make sure you stay on top of your bill with Okaloosa gas, and have a lock on the heater box! The gas company will sometimes guestimate your gas usage based on a previous month. Last January we never turned the heat on and still got a bill for $225. The gas company came out, inpected and revised the bill to $7. Oops.

With gas heat you should be able to swim year round. We put in a heater that is roughly twice the BTU's than we needed, I think it was about $500 more, but that way we can get in a 11:00pm, turn the heat on and be ready to swim first thing in the morning.

Here's a picture of my daughter and Auntie Babs on Christmas morning. It was 42 degrees outside!

suq30

Beach Crab
Jan 31, 2019
California, USA
Hey follow owners that rent with heated pools,

We are getting our pool heater installed this month!!!! :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1:

We are working on how to charge renters for the heating of the pool. For those of you with heated pools that rent out your houses, how do you charge for heating the pool in Fall/Winter and early Spring? :dunno: I have seen websites and rental/mgt company sites that say "plus pool heating charge" but I need some info on how the cost is calculated and charged to the renter?

Any help or info would be great.

Thanks,

Wetwilly :cool:
If you want to charge for heating the swimming pool water, you can either use electric meter for this purpose. Before starting the heater check the meter and start the heater. Once you feel the water is heated as you want, switch off the heater and measure the reading of the electric meter. Using this, you can easily identify the charge you need to take.

SeanS

Beach Comber
Sep 29, 2017
Thanks for the suggestions, info, and help. :clap_1: :clap_1: :clap_1: We have figured that 1-2 additional rentals in the fall/early winter and/or early spring will cover the cost of the heater and installation. I have had several inquiries on the house (and one rental) for that time period. With my fall/winter and early spring inquiries, the top question after they reviewed the pictures was whether the pool was heated. For the potential renters looking at my house, heated or not is a significant criteria for rental whether it will actually be comfortable and warm enough or not at that time of year. We went with the bigger heater and with a 20x12 pool that is 6' at its deepest point it will have a good rebound for short term rentals according to Cox Pools.

We will charge the renters (probably $35/day and $250/week) just to recoup the the cost of heating it but not to make any $$ on the heating charges.

Take a look on the virtual tour at www.emeraldcoasttours.com/20brownstreet/. If interested in renting, just send me a PM or an email.

:cool:
Hello , if your ever in need of a reliable Vendor for Maintenance and Cleaning Services feel free to give me a call.
Gulfside Property Maintenance & Services
Sean Spradlin Owner
850-227-8130