• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
hi.
well, my son is a high school senior, and i've made it this long without having to go to the beach for spring break, but....it's happening this year. his senior cross country buds and families will be down during atlanta's SB. we are staying in destin, at the inn at crystal beach.

as a family we have been coming to 30a for 20 years, but never during SB(on purpose). I've heard so many horror stories from parents that I'm actually dreading it, just because of the crowds. anyway, i know i'll be happy to sit my ass on the beach when i get there, but in the meantime. what can i really expect? curfew? restaurants? traffic?
any tips on how to handle this stuff with teens?

I'm open to all suggesstions to help make our stay a safe and not too inconvenient one :)

thanks y'all(and sorry to be adding to it this year!! HAHAHA)

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
SoWal is crazy. But Destin is off the charts. Lots of pretty girls so your runners will be happy.

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Bring your groceries, don't go out to eat, park your car and don't get back in it til you have to leave. Prepare for an 8 hr. drive rather than 6. Enjoy!

Debbie M

Beach Crab
Feb 25, 2019
Indiana
We are also coming for the first time on Spring Break.
We have a choice of either the week of March 18 or March 25.

Which do we choose??? Will there be much difference?
Thanks

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Tell your teens not to drink alcohol under any circumstances. Chances of getting arrested are very high. They need to chill and enjoy the beautiful beaches and not get pulled into the spring break madness. Even the best of kids have been arrested or ticketed and hit with steep fines for having a beer on the beach. It is illegal and is not tolerated by law enforcement under any circumstances because of the crazy and disrespectful behavior of so many.

I can't stress this enough. Stay sober be safe and stay off the roads whenever possible.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
We are also coming for the first time on Spring Break.
We have a choice of either the week of March 18 or March 25.

Which do we choose??? Will there be much difference?
Thanks
Find out which week is Atlanta's break and avoid at all cost.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
oh lawd. :)
i'm regretting this decision already.
atlanta spring break is first week of april.

reece

Beach Lover
Jul 12, 2005
i talked with my son about it the other night. he doesn't drink but he was bummed because he felt like he was going to have to sit in the condo the whole time since we talked about guilt by association. etc. and he KNOWS that there will be alcohol all around him down there.
he has a spot on an SEC D1 college track team starting in the fall, and if he gets arrested he will lose it. it is a dream come true for him and i am wishing we had not even planned this trip now. but, we can't back out. so, i told him if he was at a place where others were drinking and the cops came, to demand a breathalyzer. but now i've read that he might get in trouble just by being around the alcohol. Is that true?
any lawyers or police officers on this board?