• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
I live just a few houses away from the beach. I no longer take the long beautiful walks from Blue Mountain to Grayton. It’s too depressing seeing the hostile private beach signs. I have talked to my neighbors and they are of the same mind.

beachmax

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2017
30-A
Tourism is down. Real estate sales are down. I ask why and local business people are telling me it is because beachfront owners have made South Walton unfriendly.
Noth8ng has changed over the last thirty years or so relative to customary use. Perhaps things are sooo crowded 30-A is no longer an attractive place to visit.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
Noth8ng has changed over the last thirty years or so relative to customary use. Perhaps things are sooo crowded 30-A is no longer an attractive place to visit.
BS

The mcMansion and luxury condo owners are assholes.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Tourism is down. Real estate sales are down. I ask why and local business people are telling me it is because beachfront owners have made South Walton unfriendly.

I can't imagine that all the bad publicity is helping. Maybe helping visitors understand that there ARE places to go (50+% of Walton County beaches are public) and encouraging people to practice Walton County's definition of customary use sole uses: “traversing the beach; sitting on the sand, in a beach chair, or on a beach towel or blanket; using a beach umbrella that is seven (7) feet or less in diameter; sunbathing; picnicking; fishing; swimming or surfing off the beach; placement of surfing or fishing equipment; and building sand creations.” There are places along the beaches where beach owners are sharing the beach with people engaging in the listed sole uses with no signs and no animosity or conflict.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
I can't imagine that all the bad publicity is helping. Maybe helping visitors understand that there ARE places to go (50+% of Walton County beaches are public) and encouraging people to practice Walton County's definition of customary use sole uses: “traversing the beach; sitting on the sand, in a beach chair, or on a beach towel or blanket; using a beach umbrella that is seven (7) feet or less in diameter; sunbathing; picnicking; fishing; swimming or surfing off the beach; placement of surfing or fishing equipment; and building sand creations.” There are places along the beaches where beach owners are sharing the beach with people engaging in the listed sole uses with no signs and no animosity or conflict.
Way too many words needed to explain and people still confused. Perception is reality and we are getting the reputation of police shoving people off the beach, and they will go elsewhere. Which is exactly what some people want.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Way too many words needed to explain and people still confused. Perception is reality and we are getting the reputation of police shoving people off the beach, and they will go elsewhere. Which is exactly what some people want.

It may be what some want, but look at who is truly publicizing that the beaches are closed (NOT), there's nowhere to go to the beach (NOT TRUE), only 36% of the beach is open to the public (NOT TRUE), you'll get arrested for trespassing (NOT TRUE), you'll get kicked off the beach (MAYBE IN SOME PLACES, CERTAINLY NOT ALL), beachfront owners don't want ANYBODY on their beaches, they don't want to share (SOME FEEL THAT WAY, NOT ALL), the entire public has been turned into trespassers (NOT). Signs were not governed by the passage of HB631 and beach owners don't like having to put them up to protect their property rights, but some feel it is necessary or have been advised to do so. HB 631 (now Florida Statute 163.035) was/is about a PROCESS for establishing customary use. If people will be honest, they'll see that the customary use leadership is making real sure that tourists think beach owners don't want them here. What could the CU leadership do instead while the court handles this situation? Encourage the "sole uses" that the proposed customary use ordinance designates. Encourage people to visit our state parks where parking is readily available and miles of pristine beach are uncrowded. Encourage use of our regional accesses that have parking, bathrooms, and lifeguards. Encourage people to walk or ride bikes if at all possible to the beach since parking is at a premium. I know some rental management companies that are doing these things and people are still renting. If all you saw on social media and in newspaper articles was one version or another of "You're not welcome," would you come here?

Last edited:

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I live just a few houses away from the beach. I no longer take the long beautiful walks from Blue Mountain to Grayton. It’s too depressing seeing the hostile private beach signs. I have talked to my neighbors and they are of the same mind.
Ditto...past BMB home owner ( 3 homes off beach)...sold for a small fortune and walked away....found spot on a 950’+/- private beach to re build on....let the Crazies have it.....

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Peyton LoCicero WMBB

Do you believe the beaches are private property or for public enjoyment? A group of locals and visitors hosted a "Stand Your Sand" rally on South Walton's beach, to show where they stand on the matter.

In the meantime, the House Bill 631 battle is ongoing... out on the beach and inside the courtroom.

Find out what Florida Beaches for All and Floridians for the Preservation of Customary Use have to say about this hot topic, by watching my news story: Public V. Private Beach Battle: One Year Mark Since the Beach Battle Escalated

FB_IMG_1562114032272.jpg

NOTE: WMBB reached out to several Beachfront Property Owners to ask for an on camera comment, to which they refused.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
mypanhandle.com
July 1 2019

Public V. Private Beach Battle: One Year Mark Since the Beach Battle Escalated
WALTON COUNTY
Public Verse Private Beach Battle: One Year Mark Since the Beach Battle Escalated

by: Peyton LoCicero

SANTA ROSA BEACH, Fla. (WMBB)- July 1, marks a year since the battle for Walton County’s beach has escalated. The customary use battle with public verse private beach continues.

It’s been 365 days since “No Trespassing” signs started popping up along South Walton’s shoreline. On July 1 of last year, House Bill 631 spurred the private verse public battle on the beach.

Dozens of locals and visitors gathered on Monday, to rally in support of customary use. Some locals toted a banner saying: “Florida beaches are for everyone!”

From local doctors, congressional candidates and even visitors from other states all stood hand in hand lining the beach, they made a human chain symbolizing their message, that the beach belongs to all people.

One longtime visitor explained that it’s a tradition for each generation of his family to vacation in South Walton.

“We’ve been coming to the beach all our lives and I want my grandchildren to be able to enjoy the beaches like we did when we came as children 50 something years ago,” said Mauray stead, Georgia tourist.

Stead has 9 grandchildren, which he takes to the beach each summer. “We’ve seen signs in other places that won’t allow you to go on the beach.”

Before the customary use ordinance was made null and void, visitors and tourist could use South Walton’s beach for recreational activities, like walking on the beach and sunbathing but, that’s all changed.

“There are some areas here where it is very contentious and dangerous….there have been some angry videos that have been posted and there is armed security that are on these beaches. And being a stand your ground state, this is a concern,” said Dr. Carolynn Zonia, Customary Use Advocate.

“What we have are people who are kind of sowing a little bit of discord by asserting rights, property rights that are in violation of the custom and the property rights issue is based on false legal analysis,” explained Phil Ehr, Congressional Candidate.

The customary use lawsuit will be on the August 5, 2019 docket for a case management conference.

Walton County is actively working to reaffirm that customary use has always existed on the beaches in South Walton. We will keep you updated.

Public V. Private Beach Battle: One Year Mark Since the Beach Battle Escalated