• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
How unfortunate, but private enterprise can decide to do the right thing regardless of what local, state, or federal government decides to do. I hope that plastic and styrofoam both become conveniences of the past in the next decade and that people will look to the future to make decisions for the present. If we don't, there will be little of our beautiful earth left to appreciate in future generations.

I outlawed plastic starting 7 years ago in all of my restaurants. Only corn based plastics and paper and paper straws. I quit selling Fiji water because it was in single use plastic containers. It costs more but it is the right thing to do.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
Less than 1% of all garbage in the ocean comes from this country. It is a third world problem not a US issue. Banning plastic straws will have no impact. Now plastic bottles - that's another issue.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Less than 1% of all garbage in the ocean comes from this country. It is a third world problem not a US issue. Banning plastic straws will have no impact. Now plastic bottles - that's another issue.
It's a start. The importance of this veto allows local governments in Florida to do what they can to reduce single use plastics and other chemical pollution to protect fragile environments and waterways.

Keep going. Florida has a fragile and exceptional natural environment worth protecting. The state has not advanced much in the way of environmental protection and this needs to change. Maybe local governments can take the lead.