• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Enjoy! And Happy Hunting!

I’ve always been a sporting man and Yellow fly season is no different. Here's a way to make the season fun and keep the itch away. I make a contest with myself every year: bites vs kills. My best year was 33 kills and 5 bites. I've only lost two years to the yellow bastards in the last 13 years.
Let the body count begin.

Tips: listen and watch, they have a distinctive sounding buzz and they are larger than a house fly. They will circle you at least 3 times before they find a spot to feed. Wait for it, put out your arms and stay alert. They love elbows, knuckles, ankles and the back of your knees.

Basically I announce the word “tracking!” when I see a yellow fly circling me. That’s when the hunter becomes the hunted.

Their achilles heel is this: once they land they lose all reason and consciousness as they begin to place their proboscis in you. You then have a second or two before the bite occurs. STRIKE! with a killer blow and then strike again or crush them with your foot because they have an uncanny habit of re-animating. Next, smile your best Jack Nicholson smile and add the latest KILL to your list.

Now, the important part: If you are bitten do not, I repeat, do not scratch the bite no matter how much it itches. RESIST ALL TEMPTATION. WHY?? Because itching the scratch spreads the toxin into the tissue surrounding the bite (some people have severe reaction resulting in major swelling). RESIST ALL TEMPTATION TO SCRATCH for 20 minutes. I guarantee you in most cases the bite scratch will go away and you won't have a welt or an aggravated swelling bump for days.

Oh, one more thing. Cactus Juice works to keep them off of you. It really works. Buy some at Old Florida Outfitters in Watercolor.

Happy Hunting!

Teresa Lischka shared this tip too. Put vinegar on the bite. Totally goes away.

Last edited by a moderator:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Yikes you're nuts! I have never found anything that keeps them from biting except keeping skin covered. But I will try the cactus juice again.

I kill a few but always get many more big painful bites around the neighborhood in the woods. Washing in vinegar takes it away completely for me.

Good luck people!

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I just wear three or four of those big black sticky bug balls around everywhere. They work great, and if you happen to go into a shop with tight aisles, sometimes you come out with gifts that accidentally stick to you!

Imperialegg

Beach Comber
Aug 9, 2018
Inlet Beach, FL
I hate them so very, very, very much. The thing is, if the cactus juice works so well, then why are you getting bit so much still and or/attacked ? Are you just not taking a bath in it or not using it as much as you should ? Also, I heard the yellow fly anesthetizes the bite when it first penetrates the skin so you do not feel the sharp pain until after its already got you and too late.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
What about the silent and deadly ones? I don't know why some are stealthy and some are loud and aggressive.