• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
Have the black ball from last year. Re-coated with tangle trap using a spray can. Paired it with a blue beach ball hung in tandem. (Northern states swear by cobalt blue as an attractant.) Will report back later with results.

Nothing soothes a yellow fly bite like killing the fly and all its cousins.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Black flies and yellow flies at Deer Lake State Park a few nights ago just before sunset. What a mix.

My dad used to always describe black / dog flies as "small houseflys except they are 90% teeth". I've seen them so bad that people were fleeing from the beach. Back in the days when you could drive on the beach we had our Army jeep on the sand and Gulfview Heights / SRB. There were so many flies on it that it looked like it had black dots all over it.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
My dad used to always describe black / dog flies as "small houseflys except they are 90% teeth". I've seen them so bad that people were fleeing from the beach. Back in the days when you could drive on the beach we had our Army jeep on the sand and Gulfview Heights / SRB. There were so many flies on it that it looked like it had black dots all over it.
The worst! I have been chased off the beach by those black flies many times. Usually late summer or early fall.

I didn't think yellow flies went to the beach! But we were on the boardwalk so I guess they go near the beach

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
What about the silent and deadly ones? I don't know why some are stealthy and some are loud and aggressive.

Its the female yellow flies that are loud and agressive. :lol: (Couldn't let that one pass by :) )

Actually, it IS the females that bite.

Yellow-Fly

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
So, cobalt works. I counted 9 flies just now. Impossible to use the black one next to it as a baseline, as it’s reused from last year.

Dave,

My hand swatted versus bitten ratio, as of today, is 1-0 in favor of the good guys.

Attachments

• AFDDA3EA-647B-4424-9B6E-F71E5DE81F7D.jpeg
    AFDDA3EA-647B-4424-9B6E-F71E5DE81F7D.jpeg
    434.4 KB · Views: 97