• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
Reggie, bfo's etal I appreciate your facts and civility but I think you are missing something. Maybe that something is in the definition of the "legacy of 30A". Maybe your definition is different. You don't seem to accept that people have different perspectives, different definitions and well are just different. I understand why you are fed up with emotional outburst, propaganda and the lack of respect for your perspective. No matter what the facts are regarding CU doctrine and it's legality there is a higher power called the doctrine of good behavior, fairness and equality. Well, it should be the higher power because it is just. Both sides of this issue and most issues begin to lose sight of this powerful doctrine when promoting an agenda. Your agenda is that you worked hard for the money that allowed you to buy beach front property and pay the taxes on that property and the Constitution gives you the power to protect that property. Okay so now I must ask you a question and the answer is very important. Do you think that our economic system is fair to all people? This is not a question that you can answer quickly. It requires a lot of honest reflection not just a quick response to justify with "I worked hard" or "I worked harder than those who want to use the beach behind my house" and I have the Constitution on my side. Even if you do have the Constitution on your side you have to admit that the reason we have a Country is because of oppressive power. Money is power. So if you don't want the people to envy, resent or even hate your success it might be better to go back to the doctrine of good behavior, fairness and equality. I get it, the side that opposes you on this issue has either forgotten how to behave or relaxes good behavior in order to promote their agenda. I have posted on other threads and I can personally verify the disrespect and hatred from that side. My point is that both sides are wrong to fight fire with fire. I am not disputing your facts. I am not disputing why you chose to fight the agenda from those who believe in CU doctrine. BUT I am disputing the belief that you earned the right to keep ALL people off the beach behind your house because you earned that right from an economic system that is not fair to all people. The history of Country supports the fact that the people will eventually rebel against abusive power. It is better to use your power to promote a sense of sharing the beach (with rules of good behavior) remembering that building on those sand dunes already restricts the views of our beautiful natural resource which damages that very resource. If you practice the doctrine of good behavior you do not have to feel guilty of anything because we all damage this planet by definition of consumption. The only way for us all to get along with each other and this planet is to only take what you need and give something back...
Well done! Thank you for the intelligent, linear thought with cause & effect logic. You, my friend, are a breath of fresh air. Quick answer to your question is no, I do not. There is indeed great socioeconomic imbalance with stacked decks based on many soft and hard variables. But hey, life is NOT FAIR! Regardless of how much we’d like, it never will be. And that’s actually a good thing. I’ve been at both extreme ends of that imbalance. I'd like nothing more than for you and I to carry this discussion forward in a vacuum and solve this together. Won't happen. So here's a reply...
I'm all about perspectives. My journey has been long and very, very, wide. Perception is reality, I've written reams on that. (Under my Pen Name) With sincere respect, you entirely missed on what you assumed is my agenda. Right of exclusion, yes, undeniably, it's Constitutional discipline. Unilaterally? No, not here. That WAS the 30A legacy, we all got along. But that's where the fuse was lit. Certain little wealthy persons with greedy personal agendas, who live behind gated security fortress & fences, hoarding their private beaches, whipping up a public frenzy against folks owning private beaches. Irony? Exploiting natural public greed for a neighbor's sand, wife, dog, or car is not a sustainable strategy. It collapses under the weight on either side of the fulcrum. Expecting one to pay a premium for any asset, regardless of public opinion, as long as there are laws governing the transaction, then reversing that ownership AND THE RIGHTS THAT OWNER HAS LAWFULLY ENJOYED, and reversing it without compensation, is either stealing, or government taking (same thing). The answer to your desire for a kinder more tolerable sharing culture is impossible when the public is deliberately misled by extreme activists unwilling to compromise and let the truth be known. When every CU proponent gives up his property to use by Native Americans, or allow your neighbors to commercially rent their houses for dollars, complete with using YOUR pool at no charge, then we can reach your Utopian existence. See how absurd that sounds?
For the record, you’re also wrong on your assumptions of my:
working hard for a beach house, my current wealth status, taking what I need, giving back, and most of all - my agenda. I have none. My purpose is to shed light on reality where heretofore there has been none, so that newly educated peeps can decide for themselves on which side of the CU issue they are most comfortable. Then they will realize that either way this journey ends, CU will destroy our 30A legacy.

Last edited:

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah, I know. Beer leaves a much better after taste in your mouth.
Truth leaves an even better aftertaste. Your post attempts to legitimize itself by claiming it was authored by D. R. Kamerschen but he claims he never wrote it. Before submitting something as fact next time do a simple fact check.
Contrary to Internet folklore, Dr. Kamerschen is NOT the author of “Tax Cuts: A Simple Lesson in Economics.” Additionally, he does NOT know who wrote it.
Dr. Kamerschen denial on his personal web page.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Another funny thing about facts is there is usually some kind of record. I also found it interesting in Dave's account of the waltonwatchdog.com blog. I understood that waltonwatchdog quit his blog then brought it back after Dave opened up the "can of worms" on this thread with inaccurate statements surrounding the incident and slandered James Lince once again. I think it is important to know what really happened. So go read the facts. Our community is better than slandering and demeaning each other. We can agree to disagree and discuss reasonably.
Just to clear any suspicions and conspiracy theories;
MRBS: I get the feeling that the folks opposed to CU in this thread are just trying to goad pro CU folks into making comments that can be used in the opposition's lawsuit. Maybe not but I have a suspicious mind.
Customary Use Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy
LC Bane: Something doesn't feel right about this entire thread. Can't put my finger on it but it doesn't seem genuine for some reason. Reads more like a game of chess rather than a discussion. Lots of subtle taunts and manipulation.
Customary Use Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy

The return of SOWAL.COM
May 18, 2019
By James G. Lince

sowal.com has returned as a hot bed for CU debate - good to see it as sowal.com is the only public (not private aka "secret") forum in the new public square where the actual public not on any particular platform can see some of the CU activism that's taken place. However, the mob doesn't show itself on sowal.com - that can only be found on Facebook in the private Walton County Ideas for Visioning and Quality of Life page - that's where the mob lives and is fed daily red meat about evil greedy BFO's. But the return of sowal is positive and as much as it frosts poor Teresa's screen to see anyone go against the CU narrative, she has been a good sport.

Before the handful (well less than 30) of CU Agitators get any fresh ideas to open yet another false police report on me, James Lince...

I, James Lince have not posted on sowal.com since March 2018, when my account ("formosa64") was banned for being just too mean to David Rauschkolb. 100% fact. Formosa64's posts are still there on sowal.com anyone can search for them. Yep, that's me.

I certainly do read sowal.com as a member of the public and community. You don't need an account on sowal.com to read it, as it should be for any community site.

But, I, James Lince do not have an account on sowal.com, not under my name, or any anonymous name, I am not using anyone else's account, nor am I hacking into sowal.com. 100% fact.

For all you conspiracy types who really think it's just 30 or so people and most of the anti-CU activity has been by me (a pretty idiotic view given there are thousands against CU, factually documented in the county lawsuit)...I, James Lince am NOT Reggie Gaskins.

Let's repeat: I, James Lince have NOT and am NOT posting on sowal.com or Walton County Ideas for Visioning and Quality of Life under any account whatsoever. When you see a post from me, James Lince, it will have my name.

And again, I haven't been on Walton County Ideas for Visioning and Quality of Life since July, 2018 when I left on my own and started my own Facebook group. I'm not the one taking screen shots.

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
The beaches have always been shared, and the sand is not taxed so get real.
Then why does the Assistant State Attorney and Walton Sheriff have a 2015 Standard Operating Procedure for enforcing private property rights to exclusive enjoyment of their property, if the owner so chooses, and why do I keep getting those pesky property tax bills based on my title deed to the MHWL from the Walton Commissioners?

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I'm going to try to say this in a really respectful manner. If your intentions were to change hearts and minds about who is responsible for the situation we are in, ...
The intentions are to ensure 4,500+ beachfront owners and those that support private property rights know what the facts are and are not about property rights and public customary use of private property.
To shine the light of verifiable information in an open forum on the facts of property rights and CU myths, misinformation, and ignorance. If you have alternative facts lets hear them. Questions have been asked about the ancient British historical doctrine of custom and it's many criteria. I have yet heard anyone address why they think 100 years is ancient use. That's not even as old as the English doctrine of custom is. Present quiet title facts no one has disputed. Show plat why Vizcaya has NEVER been a public beach and its Beach Access Easement is a pedestrian access to the foreshore only. Something maybe Daniel Ulhfelder could explain after his 3 staged for social medial trespass altercation with law enforcement?
For CU Myth Busters facts look here >> Florida Coastal Property Rights
WAVE FB for real vision in Walton >> Walton County WAVE

Last edited by a moderator:

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Then why does the Assistant State Attorney and Walton Sheriff have a 2015 Standard Operating Procedure for enforcing private property rights to exclusive enjoyment of their property, if the owner so chooses, and why do I keep getting those pesky property tax bills based on my title deed to the MHWL from the Walton Commissioners?
A successful CU court finding will eliminate those pesky tax bills and guess what, you will still be able to enjoy that portion of the beach and more because the public won’t be calling the sheriff to come kick you off.

BeachSandpiper

Beach Comber
May 3, 2019
South Walton
A successful CU court finding will eliminate those pesky tax bills and guess what, you will still be able to enjoy that portion of the beach and more because the public won’t be calling the sheriff to come kick you off.
Wow. Did I miss something in the current law? A Customary Use finding by the courts will change tax law? Please provide your reference for that information.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Wow. Did I miss something in the current law? A Customary Use finding by the courts will change tax law? Please provide your reference for that information.
Referring to portion of beach affected by CU.

Last edited: