• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
I spent both days this past weekend working outside in heavily-wooded areas. The first day, I wore Cactus Juice, and the yellow flies bothered me less but, in the long run of the day, ate me up pretty good. The second day, I sprayed myself good with Cutter (face and hair included)....I pressure-washed for 8 hours, and was buzz-bombed constantly, but was never bitten. Not a commercial endorsement; just an interesting face.

Last Thursday evening, one got in the house and, at some time after I went to sleep for the night, must have parked on one of the prominent veins atop my right hand, because I awoke with the skin on my right hand stretched extremely tight over a hand that was like a catcher's mitt. I only swell from bites to my hands and feet, but it usually only lasts no more than an hour.....my right hand stayed swollen until early evening on Friday! Ugh.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I was doing some caulking outside yesterday and figured that trading out my shorts for long pants made more sense than swatting and dancing while up on a ladder. It worked! :lol:
Yes I only walk with long pants during yellow fly season. They don't bite as long as I'm in motion. Usually. But they are aggressively dive bombing my head. Not sure but they may be worse bayside in the woods.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Yes I only walk with long pants during yellow fly season. They don't bite as long as I'm in motion. Usually. But they are aggressively dive bombing my head. Not sure but they may be worse bayside in the woods.

Same here on the long pants. I also wear a white bandana around my neck. This seems to keep them away from my neck and head. Also baseball hat when I am walking my dog. Hopefully this dry spell we are in will keep them in check.

BeachRob

Beach Lover
Nov 30, 2012
So, cobalt works. I counted 9 flies just now. Impossible to use the black one next to it as a baseline, as it’s reused from last year.

Dave,

My hand swatted versus bitten ratio, as of today, is 1-0 in favor of the good guys.

Attachments

• 95D17610-5184-46A2-A838-F149EADDF66E.jpeg
    95D17610-5184-46A2-A838-F149EADDF66E.jpeg
    826.4 KB · Views: 115

bhnc

Beach Crab
May 29, 2019
Raleigh, NC
Are yellow flies an issue along the beach itself or in the beachside state parks and towns, or is it more of an inland wooded concern? We're visiting in a couple days and our toddler insists on only wearing blue and black which is the color that typically attracts yellow flies . . .

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Are yellow flies an issue along the beach itself or in the beachside state parks and towns, or is it more of an inland wooded concern? We're visiting in a couple days and our toddler insists on only wearing blue and black which is the color that typically attracts yellow flies . . .
There are no yellow flies at the beach; they get worse the further you are from the beach. Where are you staying?

bhnc

Beach Crab
May 29, 2019
Raleigh, NC
There are no yellow flies at the beach; they get worse the further you are from the beach. Where are you staying?

Rosemary Beach. Called Grayton Beach State Park yesterday and they said the yellow flies are the worst they've ever seen and they're everywhere all day, including right on the beach. They're battling them inside the ranger station. But I guess the natural setting there may be a different data point than the beach towns themselves . . .

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Rosemary Beach. Called Grayton Beach State Park yesterday and they said the yellow flies are the worst they've ever seen and they're everywhere all day, including right on the beach. They're battling them inside the ranger station. But I guess the natural setting there may be a different data point than the beach towns themselves . . .
I really don't think you will have a problem at the beach. We spent Monday at Grayton Beach and we didn't see a single one. I also walk my dog there in the afternoons and they're not around. But they are kind of bad at our house, which is about 1/3 mile from the beach. I have heard that they are terrible in Point Washington. Hopefully, Rosemary won't be too bad.