• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
So...on Sunday I go to the Public beach access down from the Creamery in Blue Mountain Beach. Just me and a Beach chair. I set my chair next to two unoccupied chairs and umbrella set up by shade Vendor. Immediately the guy who works for the vendor tells me I need to move my chair or he will call code enforcement. I say I have every right to be there and he tells me he's going to recite all the rules on why I cannot set my chair there… He's in my face and being very much the bully his name starts with a C he's 21 and I'm more than twice his age and a female. I just feel compelled to post this because it's just not right… He wouldn't let up so I moved my chair. In my opinion the Beach chair vendors are responsible for many many of the issues concerning beach property owners and customary use. These "thugs" ...I moved from Atlanta to get away from them… Force people to set up further and further east and west of the public beach access. As far as I know the chair vendors have a business permit but pay no rent for the space on the beach where they conduct their business… If they were in a retail space they'd be paying by the square foot to rent that space..correct me if I'm wrong!

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Unfortunately this is an old problem. Young macho males getting aggressive about chairs and umbrella placement. Especially early in the summer and when/where it is crowded. I am sorry you had to deal with this situation. Vendors have taken over our beaches and the county commission & TDC bears most of the responsibility for allowing this to continue. Apparently the vendors have now formed an association to "work" with the county on managing themselves and using our beaches for profit. I fear that they have the upper hand now and it is going to get worse. Add in limited public beaches and exclusionary beachfront owners and we have a challenging problem - how to keep South Walton charming.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
Unfortunately this is an old problem. Young macho males getting aggressive about chairs and umbrella placement. Especially early in the summer and when/where it is crowded. I am sorry you had to deal with this situation. Vendors have taken over our beaches and the county commission & TDC bears most of the responsibility for allowing this to continue. Apparently the vendors have now formed an association to "work" with the county on managing themselves and using our beaches for profit. I fear that they have the upper hand now and it is going to get worse. Add in limited public beaches and exclusionary beachfront owners and we have a challenging problem - how to keep South Walton charming.
Thank you James for replying it is frustrating and sad

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
So...on Sunday I go to the Public beach access down from the Creamery in Blue Mountain Beach. Just me and a Beach chair. I set my chair next to two unoccupied chairs and umbrella set up by shade Vendor. Immediately the guy who works for the vendor tells me I need to move my chair or he will call code enforcement. I say I have every right to be there and he tells me he's going to recite all the rules on why I cannot set my chair there… He's in my face and being very much the bully his name starts with a C he's 21 and I'm more than twice his age and a female. I just feel compelled to post this because it's just not right… He wouldn't let up so I moved my chair. In my opinion the Beach chair vendors are responsible for many many of the issues concerning beach property owners and customary use. These "thugs" ...I moved from Atlanta to get away from them… Force people to set up further and further east and west of the public beach access. As far as I know the chair vendors have a business permit but pay no rent for the space on the beach where they conduct their business… If they were in a retail space they'd be paying by the square foot to rent that space..correct me if I'm wrong!

So sorry. This should not have happened. If you have the time, would you please contact Brian Kellenberger at the TDC and talk to him about this? Thanks!
Kellenberger, Brian Director of Beach Operations brian@visitsouthwalton.com (850) 267-4578

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
So sorry. This should not have happened. If you have the time, would you please contact Brian Kellenberger at the TDC and talk to him about this? Thanks!
Kellenberger, Brian Director of Beach Operations brian@visitsouthwalton.com (850) 267-4578
Just talked with Brian… Director of BEACH operations for South Walton. He thanked me for calling and agreed how disrespectful and Way out of line this guy was. He's going to call the company to make them aware of his aggressive behavior. Also I had every right to set up my chair next to the vendors chair.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Just talked with Brian… Director of BEACH operations for South Walton. He thanked me for calling and agreed how disrespectful and Way out of line this guy was. He's going to call the company to make them aware of his aggressive behavior. Also I had every right to set up my chair next to the vendors chair.
Great! Thank you so much for calling and talking to Brian. I think he is probably our best bet for dealing with problems like this.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I’m all to familiar with your situation and “30A Shades”....I lived few houses south of Creamey for 10 years..had lots of run ends with Shades ( and the other 5 vendors sharing 1/2 a public access) and made many a call to Brian he was always pleasant but has you see (Years later)He Will NOT correct the Beach Vendor Mafia Problem...during busy times and at night creamery overflow cars would park in my front yard WCSO called out and did nothing, also had cars across the street on highway 83 make UTurns in my driveway and one actually crash into my car and drove off ( luckily someone got the tag number)...I have sold the dream house and moved on..found a 1200’ stretch of private beach with No Vendors.... lots rarely come available ( you can see why) going to rebuild...
Hope you are just visiting because if you bought in BMB your life on the beach will be Hell....if your visiting spend this week searching for a better beach to rent on...

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Nothing will be done about this. The fundamental problem is that you have the entity (TDC) that is responsible for bringing tourists here is also who oversees Code Enforcement. Do you really think they will collar these thugs?

The plan to correct a lot of Walton County's problems is for South Walton residents not only to vote, but to have South Walton-friendly canditates rent residences in Northern districts and get those people voted out. Use the same strategy employed in 2016.

Live and learn from steelman's excellent advice.