• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Again, the fifth amendment to the Constitution says private property can be taken for public use if there is just compensation.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
You won't get an argument from anybody that the county government has been AWOL when it comes to growth management. Does it seem like a good idea to instantly compel the entire beachgoing community to confine their activities to less than 25% of the beaches they use to enjoy? Fun fact: only about one quarter of all those "public beaches" ya'll talk about have any parking whatsoever.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Again, the fifth amendment to the Constitution says private property can be taken for public use if there is just compensation.
What’s the point? No private property condemnation litigation has been taken by the Commissioners to offer market fair value for.

If your point is the dry sand beach is worthless because State and local Government has used its police powers to regulate uses and construction of private property beaches that does not make the property unbuildable or have no value. Government could just as well not use their police powers or authorize exception to their police powers and permit construction - making the private property more valuable. Like a fishing pier or a private beachfront property amusement tower like in the Daytona Beach Tona-Rama case. Might want to look up Florida’s Burt Harris Act too that provides relief to private landowners when a law, regulation, or ordinance inordinately burdens, restricts, or limits private property without amounting to a taking under the U.S Constitution.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I wonder if the ratings for the erroneous posts will be revised? Or is just belief in the posts regardless if erroneous or not sufficient to Like the information?
590 Customary Use Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy
View attachment 77292
606 Customary Use Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy
View attachment 77293
I'm taking responsibility for not being totally versed in all the legal minutia of this extremely complex situation. I think I have built up a small degree of reliability on this website and I am simply trying to express my sentiments about the situation, and in that regard, some people agree with me. You can't change how people feel with a barrage of legal facts, and that is all this thread has been about: trying to put a PR spin on an ugly situation.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
You won't get an argument from anybody that the county government has been AWOL when it comes to growth management. Does it seem like a good idea to instantly compel the entire beachgoing community to confine their activities to less than 25% of the beaches they use to enjoy? Fun fact: only about one quarter of all those "public beaches" ya'll talk about have any parking whatsoever.
But is that the responsibility of the private property owner who paid fair market value for all the bundle of rights in the title granted by the US and Florida land grants and pay taxes on for what is described in their deeds to the MHWL?
That Commissioners want to shift their failures to manage Walton county beach supply & demand growth onto private property owners should be run out of town. Many of the previous Commissioners are already gone. Commissioners authorize the TDC annually to spend $20,000,000 a year to bring more tourist here, that mostly benefits local beach-side businesses, not locals and not private property owners, and just raised the tourist tax to 5%. Stop the taxes and let those tourist dollars go back into the local economy and grow jobs, not bureaucracy. Where is the outrage from the community and social media for that??

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
What’s the point? No private property condemnation litigation has been taken by the Commissioners to offer market fair value for.

If your point is the dry sand beach is worthless because State and local Government has used its police powers to regulate uses and construction of private property beaches that does not make the property unbuildable or have no value. Government could just as well not use their police powers or authorize acceptations to their police powers and permit construction - making the private property more valuable. Like a fishing pier or a private beachfront property amusement tower like in the Daytona Beach Tona-Rama case. Might want to look up Florida’s Burt Harris Act too that strengthens Florida’s police power use of private property and compensation.
My point is the same constitution that keeps being referenced here as proof of protection says land can indeed be taken for public use. All the whining in the world will not change a fact.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I'm taking responsibility for not being totally versed in all the legal minutia of this extremely complex situation. I think I have built up a small degree of reliability on this website and I am simply trying to express my sentiments about the situation, and in that regard, some people agree with me. You can't change how people feel with a barrage of legal facts, and that is all this thread has been about: trying to put a PR spin on an ugly situation.
I get it LV2 but if you want to make informed decisions; what property law is not complex? You have to take the time to understand the facts and the law. You know, the laws that embody America morals and beliefs. http://morallaw.org/resources/key-documents/the-united-states-constitution/
Call the facts PR if you want, make uninformed decisions if you want, believe you are right by taking social media rants at face value if you want; but you will not make decisions based on facts or the law - just like the Commissioners and that will cost tax payers millions and ill will for the community.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
My point is the same constitution that keeps being referenced here as proof of protection says land can indeed be taken for public use. All the whining in the world will not change a fact.
Then stop the FS163.035 litigation and start government police-power property-condemnation litigation to pay fair market value. Why do you think Commissioners are litigation CU? Because they think they can get something for nothing and it costs them personally no money to try - just tax payers millions.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I get it LV2 but if you want to make informed decisions, what property law is not complex, you have to take the time to understand the facts and the law. You know the laws that embody America morals and beliefs. http://morallaw.org/resources/key-documents/the-united-states-constitution/
Call the facts PR if you want, make uninformed decisions if you want, believe you are right by taking social media rants at face value if you want; but you will not make decisions based on facts or the law - just like the Commissioners and that will cost tax payers millions and ill will for the community.
I just wish you would stop talking about Money. I'm sorry you don't want to see that enjoying the beach is a spiritual thing.