• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
With this run of dry weather, they seem to be a little less intense. Is this anyone else's experience?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I really don't think you will have a problem at the beach. We spent Monday at Grayton Beach and we didn't see a single one. I also walk my dog there in the afternoons and they're not around. But they are kind of bad at our house, which is about 1/3 mile from the beach. I have heard that they are terrible in Point Washington. Hopefully, Rosemary won't be too bad.
They won't come out into the direct sunlight. They only thrive in the shade. The best advice is to stay at the beach and drink lots of beer.

happy2Bme

Beach Fanatic
Sep 24, 2007
Sowal
I wish, but that’s Point Washington. Thankfully, it appears that I have accumulated enough YF venom in my person that I no longer swell/itch beyond a few minutes. And I find joy in wooing them to my prominent veins only to crush their life out of them....☠️

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
The flies have seemed to have subsided somewhat. Perhaps its the rain, or just their time this year has come and gone? Anyone else' experience?

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Yellow Flies subside after the initial fury then become intense again later in summer.

I'm stuck on "my toddler insists... "
:lol::wacko::rolleyes:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I got my first yellow fly bite yesterday. the yellow flies are back and buzzing around. I was surprised as it seems they are early this year. I fear with the lack of freezing weather and the wet spring we will have a bumper crop of yellow flies this year. I hope they can't transmit human virus.

SeaFern

Beach Lover
Dec 2, 2007
pt. washington & niceville
I’m a magnet it seems, ugh. I’ve done quite a lot of research on the excellent Entomology pages of the Univ of FL. Interesting bits (not bites!) I learned...yellow flies are visual hunters. They hang out in the shade, under your porch or shrubbery, then when they see movement they swoop in for the kill! The females need the protein in your blood to procreate. This is why the black balls are effective as they see a big shape moving. They inject you with an anti-coagulant to speed their ability to suck up your blood and this causes your body to react with swelling & itching. The neutralizing chemical for the anti-coagulant is ammonia. Put on liberally, earlier is better...soak a paper towel & leave on for a few minutes. Reapply as needed. I figure we earn our ticket to Paradise when we make it through the season!!!