• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

WG Clark

Beach Comber
Mar 25, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
We are currently building a vacation home and need advice on flooring, countertops, and any beach friendly rental advice from those of you who have already built and use as rental. Any good advice and contacts are welcome as we will also need a management company by fall.

Big George

Beach Lover
Mar 20, 2019
Destin
We are currently building a vacation home and need advice on flooring, countertops, and any beach friendly rental advice from those of you who have already built and use as rental. Any good advice and contacts are welcome as we will also need a management company by fall.

chrisbon

Beach Comber
May 19, 2015
My name is Chris Bones and sent a private message to you. please call me at 678-878-8544, and I am local to the area. I look forward to hearing from you!

ljkeller71

Beach Comber
Nov 12, 2012
Hi! I would like to recommend Myer Properties for your rental management needs. They provide superior customer service and have an amazing team of inspectors to make sure your home is taken care of like it is their own. Feel free to give them a call at 205-871-4494 and ask for Jon Myer or Ann Nelson...tell them Leslie sent you! Good luck! Such a great area to have a rental home!!

WG Clark

Beach Comber
Mar 25, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Follow up to request:

We built our beach house! We used Savvy Flooring and they are professional, on time and the best!
Our builder is a local builder and also a wonderful choice as he builds just a few at the time!
My husband draws house plans so we had that part ready to go (reach out and we can certainly help you before you start building - the planning, building depts, windstorm, etc is a learning process - wish we had known then what we know now)…
We do not have a management company - we use it as a second home and soon to be full time home!

WG Clark

Beach Comber
Mar 25, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Thanks much, good to hear!

I wish someone would write a blog all the way through the building process in SoWal.
Hey Bob!
Writing an informational step by step guide for building in Walton County would be nearly impossible considering every lot is unique. Some lots are in an HOA Restricted Community which means an additional step to get the HOA approval on top of county building guidelines, most anything in south Walton as well as near the bay has to be constructed to withstand 140 mph winds which requires a structural engineer or registered architect to stamp the plans (in my husband’s case, he draws custom plans and uses a reputable engineer firm to stamp his plans for him), there are impact fees required by the fire department and utility department which can drive your start up cost considerably depending on the number of plumbing fixtures you have (the building department does not give out this information), each build has construction deposits if you are in an HOA which some communities reimburse your construction deposit and some do not - it depends widely on which community you choose… you may need a storm water plan for your lot - if the subdivision has a master storm water plan, you would not have this additional cost. To know for certain, go to the county storm water engineering department and have them look at the lot - this can be another unexpected expense. Your lot location might require you to be on pilings as opposed to slab. An HOA also may dictate this. The typical building set backs in Walton County are 20 ft front and 7 1/2 ft each side and 15 ft in the back unless it is a PUD (Planned Unit Development). Again, consulting with the county building department will confirm your building set backs.
First step would be determine all the parameters necessary for building on the lot you want to purchase before buying it. The county is very resourceful as well as your builder or real estate agent. One question to ask would be is the water and sewer taps paid for the lot. If not, it is a significant cost. This is my unofficial blog on information for building your dream home in Walton County. Most people who build for the first time in Walton County do not realize the process or expense. Don’t be in a hurry and an estimated finish date is just that. An estimated finish date.

Last edited by a moderator: