• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Let’s be honest here about “community”. Most everything south of 98 caters to tourists and the dollars they bring. There’s not much sense of community down here IMHO when your neighbors change on a weekly basis. And I don’t think our beach town is unique in that regard.

I think we lost much of our “Legacy” years ago when the TDC became wildly successful in overmarketing the area, exerting more and more pressure via imcreased off beach development on a finite resource, the beach. And now private property owners are pushing back with the only thing they have, private property rights as most can’t vote since they don’t live here. You know, taxation without representation.
We have great community and great people with lots going on that doesn't involve tourists. Granted it is mostly either family based (schools and church centered) or young people who like to do stuff outdoors and socialize at events and bars.
Business is tourist based but the business community is something else. It is not the heart and soul of SoWal. The people are. Sad that you are so angry and at odds with people who live here and love SoWal.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
We have great community and great people with lots going on that doesn't involve tourists. Granted it is mostly either family based (schools and church centered) or young people who like to do stuff outdoors and socialize at events and bars.
Business is tourist based but the business community is something else. It is not the heart and soul of SoWal. The people are. Sad that you are so angry and at odds with people who live here and love SoWal.
At least your post started with a good tone and made me think. But then I saw the final sentence.

BTW, did you ever apologize for your very mean spirited comment to @FloridaBeachBum ? You said, “Right or wrong you're a bad neighbor and bad for our community.”

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Admins, can you just create a thread called "CU/Private Property Debate" and let FBB, Blue Mountain Vagrant and the CU proponents who want to argue HAVE AT IT. Once the thread is created, just move the "I have to be right" posts to that thread?

There has to be a forum, a little bitty thread where people seeking positive solutions can discuss.

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB
There has to be a forum, a little bitty thread where people seeking positive solutions can discuss.

Emerald Drifter - What are your proposed positive solutions that do not include removal of constitutional property rights that we can discuss? Save the question on removing constitutional property rights (right of exclusion) for the court since it is abundantly clear that neither side is going to compromise on that one. But surely you have positive solutions outside of that?

Is the 30A ecosystem your number one priority or something else? What are your top priorities?

I liked mputal proposal to get some leaders on the BCC, in particular leadership for the protection of our unique 30A ecosystem. Who do you think on the BCC is the current strongest leader for 30A ecosystem protection? How do we encourage him/her? Who is the weakest on protecting the 30A ecosystem and how do we change that? Three of the BCC positions are open in the next election. I personally think Bill Fletcher would have (and still would) make a great member of the BCC. Shame he was thrown under the bus because he was willing to think about a compromise and keep the county out of the courts. Makes me wonder what would have happened if he was elected?

I fully believe the core issue is managed beach density. How do we REDUCE 4 millions tourists on the beach to a level that can be sustained without destruction of the 30A ecosystem? What is that level and how do you regulate it?

I believe both sides could support Ancient Customary Use defined a few posts ago. Entitlement use is different.

Let's see if we can have a positive conversation by leaving entitlement use out of it.

What common ground can we discuss in a positive way?

Last edited:

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
The public would have had access to the back part of the beach. The county would have compensated with reduced taxes while in effect. No wristband necessary. And importantly, the whole “deal” could be cancelled at any time if it didn’t work out (enforcement).

“The back of the beach”

Sounds like “the back of the bus” I think you have it ass backwards; reminiscent of a vile era in our history.

From the dune line to the waterline and following whatever county rules that exist with enforcement. That’s how it used to be and how it should be.

Last edited:

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Dave, if you are willing, let's go through some issues I've heard from BPOs. Do you see a way for BPOs to have ANY priority position on their deeded beachfront?

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
Great post Stone Cold. I understand that this forum will/may be seen by decision makers and to that end, let's consider this an ongoing town hall of sorts where ideas can be discussed. I will try and answer your questions within your comments. Hope this works. ;) (Click the quoted post below and it will expand. Did not mean to write a novel!!)
Emerald Drifter - What are your proposed positive solutions that do not include removal of constitutional property rights that we can discuss? Save the question on removing constitutional property rights (right of exclusion) for the court since it is abundantly clear that neither side is going to compromise on that one. But surely you have positive solutions outside of that? First and foremost, removing or severely limiting commercial vendor chairs from the beach will remove a lot of pressure and open up space for the public. I understand that some of these guys have been doing this a while, but this county is absolutely booming; there are many other avenues for entrepreneurial minds to build a business here.

Is the 30A ecosystem your number one priority or something else? Yes, you can say that. More specifically, the coastal dune lakes and our state forest land and protecting them from encroachment. What are your top priorities? Preservation of what we have and what made people fall in love with SoWal. I was not a preservationist until I moved here 12 years ago. When property IS developed, approach it like Seaside, and St. Joe properties have done. Preserve as much of the local flora as possible. It is unique.

I liked mputal proposal to get some leaders on the BCC, in particular leadership for the protection of our unique 30A ecosystem. We have to. And with the number of residents (voters) who are moving to/reside south of the bay are increasing. Too much to go into here about how voting is structured in Walton County to preserve north of the bay as the power center, but this will change as more and more people move into SoWal. (someone who has lived her much longer than I can offer an explanation on this). Who do you think on the BCC is the current strongest leader for 30A ecosystem protection? Commissioner Nipper, no doubt. And she alone (heroically) proved this when she made a stand in regards to holding the county accountable regarding the county's stormwater runoff train wreck in the Sandestin area. How do we encourage him/her? A kind word/email/phone call? Sharing your ideas for solutions? Who is the weakest on protecting the 30A ecosystem and how do we change that? Three of the BCC positions are open in the next election. I personally think Bill Fletcher would have (and still would) make a great member of the BCC. I agree. I do not know him personally, but I think he is a leader in the truest sense. Shame he was thrown under the bus because he was willing to think about a compromise and keep the county out of the courts. Makes me wonder what would have happened if he was elected?

I fully believe the core issue is managed beach density. How do we REDUCE 4 millions tourists on the beach to a level that can be sustained without destruction of the 30A ecosystem? Short answer right now, I don't know. :) But I notice other areas struggling with the exact same issues we are dealing with: Sedona, Arizona is dealing with the exact same issues we are. Massive numbers of folks, traffic, bigger and bigger development, mini hotels, no long term affordable rentals due to short term/Air BnB. Also, most national parks are dealing with way too many people. Zion National Park, for example, does not allow individual vehicles from May to October (I think). Shuttles only and only park shuttles. Park and ride. What is that level and how do you regulate it? Less than now? How to regulate it? I think it will be economic forces, national level, that will reduce the masses, but thats a different discussion.

I believe both sides could support Ancient Customary Use defined a few posts ago. Entitlement use is different. Although I have only lived here full time 12 years, I have been visiting since the 70s. There has been an unspoken, understood idea of the everyone using the beach in a respectful way. Respectful to the upland owner and respectful to the beach itself and the beach wildlife. I believe that when we residents bring mutual respect back into our actions and discussions that much of the quarreling, conflict, and discord will come down a notch or two. Further, we must demand this from our visitors. They are more than welcome here, but they need to respect our home.

Let's see if we can have a positive conversation by leaving entitlement use out of it.

What common ground can we discuss in a positive way?

These are some random ideas, observations, and opinions. I know there are brighter minds than mine that can offer more in the way of coming together.. life is too short to battle constantly, especially in beautiful SoWal..:)

Please, Stone Cold, I want to hear your ideas. If you were King of the County :), what would you do?

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB
Please, Stone Cold, I want to hear your ideas. If you were King of the County :), what would you do?

Emerald Drifter, thank you so very much for your constructive post. Great question. Here are my top 10 created for discussion that I am sure will evolve.

"Make 30A Charming" List.

1. Enforce rental occupancy limits and regulate short term rental density.

2. Develop a formal BCC Mission Statement with #1 priority to protect / promote our unique and sensitive 30A ecosystem. Judge every BCC action against our county motto of Pride, Preservation, Conservation.

3. Stop the BCC from changing long term land development plans. We are destroying our wetlands and environmental conservation areas and converting them to housing developments for huge profits for a few power brokers with huge environment costs for the rest of us.

4. Demand leadership and accountability from the BCC. I agree with your assessment that Melanie Nipper is the one commissioner that is consistently trying to do the right thing.

5. Code enforcement must report to BCC and not the TDC. The beach activities ordinance must be thoroughly understood by the tourists and enforced by code enforcement.

6. BCC must formally approve lawsuit budget and decision gates. The county needs to be run like a true business. Provide regular actual expenditure updates to the public.

7. The BCC must educate the beach going public. Each Regional Access should have an attendant during high season. Flyers should be available for each rental which include behavior expectations and major ordinances (such as beach equipment, set back, dog regulations, trash, alcohol, etc). Tell tourists to move if they are asked to move by uniformed police officers. Include phone numbers for Tourists to call Beach Enforcement and emergency numbers. This should include a formal statement by the BCC against Entitlement Use until Judge Green rules Florida and US Constitutional Property Rights do not include the right of exclusion for beach front properties owners. We must have signage on roads directing tourist to beach accesses, including the state parks, and signage at each access. Each regional beach access needs informative web link on google maps with direct link to the list of rules from google maps location. Use a portion of our advertising budget on education and infrastructure. Allocate advertising dollars to increase amount of money spent per tourist instead of number of tourists.

8. Chair vending during high season limited to only TDC at Regional Beaches (no 3rd party vendors on public beach during high season). Use only ATTENDED chair vendor points and limit the number of chair rentals available at each Regional Access. Rental beach equipment in public beach areas by the hour (not the day) and don’t set up until people are at the beach and take them down when they leave.

9. The BCC must develop a public information and forum page that allows for community constructive discussion. Stop the organized harassment on social media.

10. Density Management – Limit number of people on beach to the extent that infrastructure can accommodate. This one is a tough one and counter intuitive. Loud outspoken investors want more tourists and preach that reducing number of tourists will hurt our economy. The silent majority and 30A ecosystem suffers from hordes of unregulated, unmanaged tourists. We already have more tourists than can be handled by the infrastructure and this is destroying the 30A charm. Focus on quality and not quantity.

Emerald Drifter - Do you and I have any common ground on any of the items above? If so let's discuss those first and then move to discuss the areas of disagreement next.