• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I can see it now...groups of teens zipping in and out and around the 30A traffic. Inebriated folks bar hopping on them on the bike paths (is there such a thing as SUI?) Hopefully they can fund EMTs on every corner to take care of all the mishaps.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Wont be long before they outlaw cars/trucks on 30A and just give it to the scooters.bikes.golf carts.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Whatever happened to walking as a way to get from place to place?

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Bob: I do not have a dog in this hunt but am continually amazed at the narrow minded attitude found in this forum. The area is built on tourism and should expect the bad with the good. Any sarcasm should be vented toward those that complain against the tourists as that what makes this area’s economy.
This forum IS YOUR community, sorry you feel out of place. Not everyone is chasing dollars or bowing down to the almighty tourist. You can do business here and help us to preserve the quality of live and preserve what makes SoWal special. Be discriminating.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Yes yes yes yes!! It would be much worse. They're left strewn *everywhere* when people are done with them. Driveways, front yards, parking spaces, and of course littering sidewalks & paths. Walton County does NOT want these!
Unfortunately you are correct. BUT take note - this is what is happening with bikes. Rental companies and resorts have become their own bike rental companies and treat bikes this way. Drop em wherever you want and we'll pick them up later or charge a fee.

Sweet Pot Pie

Beach Comber
Aug 26, 2013
This will be a disaster! Please let your commissioners know these things are not for our area. During a recent trip to Dallas I got to see first hand all about these things. People just drop them where ever they dont need them anymore. They NEVER get returned to the "stations" and are a hazard to people trying to walk.drive anywhere in Dallas. They are laying all over the streets, in bushes,driveways,doorways. I couldnt believe what a mess and how the city just left them laying around everywhere. They are not tended to and you just have to scan a QR code with a Lyft or Uber app to use them. If you get on that the battery is dead on just drop it where it stops and find another one to scan. HORRIBLE business model for this area.

E-scooters on the horizon in Walton County
Add a few Starbucks to the mix and the area will be crawling with hipsters

blindrid

Beach Lover
Aug 17, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
My last comment:
1) I didn’t mean to ruffle feathers;
2) everyone has reacted before there is a problem;
3) yes it’s illegal to operate even a bicycle under the influence;
4) whether one likes it or not, the tourism $ is an important part of the local economy which also supports real estate values;
5) So if everyone is not bowing to tourism, we are whether we like it or not as that supports local retail and creates the supply and demand for services, businesses and real estate.

In closing, I hope everyone has a great evening and hope we don’t invent problems that come and go throughout our lifetime. I’m looking forward to good sand, good water and great sunsets.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
My last comment:
1) I didn’t mean to ruffle feathers;
2) everyone has reacted before there is a problem;
3) yes it’s illegal to operate even a bicycle under the influence;
4) whether one likes it or not, the tourism $ is an important part of the local economy which also supports real estate values;
5) So if everyone is not bowing to tourism, we are whether we like it or not as that supports local retail and creates the supply and demand for services, businesses and real estate.

In closing, I hope everyone has a great evening and hope we don’t invent problems that come and go throughout our lifetime. I’m looking forward to good sand, good water and great sunsets.
1) you ruffle cliches.
2) that is how problems are prevented in the first place
3) not sure how that relates to a product we foresee as a problem even when everyone is sober.
4) not everyone owns property, you seem to only be able to see your own point of view. No offense, that means you're normal.
5) Once again, we do not all swing to your rhythm of supply and demand. I've heard the "without tourism we starve" argument so many times and it's insulting. Economies exist everywhere. If we are going to focus on the economy as our most important issue then we should be spending energy on diversification instead of simply bleeding tourists.