• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
What I have learned is that BPO's are only interested in winning this lawsuit and the CU supporters are only interested in keeping all beaches open to the public. At this point there seems to be NO room for compromise. This lawsuit will certainly be appealed by either side. So, please tell me how BPO's win anything until after the appeals that will take years?

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB
mputnal, the BPO's don't win regardless. Neither do the non-BPO's win regardless.

The BPO's get to keep their property rights (Right of Exclusion) which they have had for hundreds of years which is protected by the USA and Florida Constitution. So they don't win, they just don't lose the rights they have already own.

Even if the case is dropped tomorrow tax payers of Walton County have lost millions of dollars and decade old relationships have been destroyed.

The only people who "Win" are the power brokers, who are making numerous other moves while everyone is distracted by "CU", and of course the lawyers are making millions of dollars.

This is classic misdirection by the power brokers. The court is not going to overturn Property Rights. What else is going on! What big residential developments and business expansions are being pushed? What is everyone missing by looking the wrong direction?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Agreed about the "power" brokers. Power comes from wealth and The People are "looking the wrong direction" because that is what politics and extremism does. If BPO's have been sharing their beach in the past BUT now want to exclude people from their beach then why would BPO's not understand why The People or The Community would be upset? All of the new buildings on the beach are huge residential developments which was okay when pulling permits from the county? Don't you see we should NOT be okay with losing the view of the water and the sunset which are being blocked by those huge residential or commercial buildings AND any part of the beach. I really feel like the BPO position is unfair and unequal. We are not talking about ALL private property just those beach properties that were shared in the past. Legal rights are not the only measure of what is fair and equal. Is there any room at all for a BPO to give consideration to fair and equal or good will BEFORE the court decision?

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB
mputal, first, there are 1194 different parcels that are being sued by the BCC. Each parcel has a different story and is owned by thousands of different people. Some of these parcels are now owned by the grandkids of property that has been in the family for generations so you could be dealing with 20 individuals or more on just on one parcel. There is no "BPO" that can speak for everyone, just like there is no "non-BPO that can speak for everyone".

Some BPO's have shared their property to small numbers of locals and still do. Some rent their property to tourists and use the beach for only their family or guests. Some have been so harassed that they don't want anyone on their private property. Some have never wanted to shared their property (both BPO and Non-BPO) for generations. Some don't care. None of that changed (except for the group getting so harassed that they no longer want to permit guests is getting larger). What did change a couple years ago is people feeling ENTITLED to use deeded property AGAINST the will of the property owner. ENTITLEMENT USE was never ancient, reasonable, without interruption, or free from dispute. Innocent people are getting played and still don't have their eyes open.

There is NO property owner (BPO or Non-BPO) that would ever give up the right of exclusion of deeded private property. This is the same as force occupation of private property against the will of the owner and is not going to happen, doesn't matter if the property is owned by individuals, the County, the State of Florida, or the Military. Property ownership has rights and one of them is the right of exclusion. Always has been that way and until the constitution is changed, always will be.

Each property owner is free to make their own decision. There is no "group BPO" decision.

Our county has been run in the shadows by the Power Brokers for generations and they made millions of dollars with shady deals and pay offs behind closed doors. Hopefully, with social media, holding the BCC accountable, and with information available on sites like this, we can stop this crap.

Look out for the misdirection. What are they trying to do? This is not about BPO's or people who want to see the sunset, or people who want to the protect the turtles. This is about shady deals behind closed doors. Watch out for the power brokers. Something else is going on besides "CU". Judge Green is not going to overturn the constitution, and if he does, the US Supreme Court is not going to agree.....

Reggie Gaskins

Beach Lover
Oct 4, 2018
Blue Mountain Beach
Agreed about the "power" brokers. Power comes from wealth and The People are "looking the wrong direction" because that is what politics and extremism does. If BPO's have been sharing their beach in the past BUT now want to exclude people from their beach then why would BPO's not understand why The People or The Community would be upset? All of the new buildings on the beach are huge residential developments which was okay when pulling permits from the county? Don't you see we should NOT be okay with losing the view of the water and the sunset which are being blocked by those huge residential or commercial buildings AND any part of the beach. I really feel like the BPO position is unfair and unequal. We are not talking about ALL private property just those beach properties that were shared in the past. Legal rights are not the only measure of what is fair and equal. Is there any room at all for a BPO to give consideration to fair and equal or good will BEFORE the court decision?

First of all, thank you for continued discussion and search for solution. That was the vision when we started this. There is a big miss here. Everyone wants to START with CU. that's not reality. The BPO's didn't wake up one morning and decide to put up signs. They were first attacked by entitled trespassers. Then they were financially attacked/sued by the county. All the while, being grouped/labeled/besmirched and doxed on social media, where they were censored from having any voice. Still are. They are backed into a corner in a fight they don't want. The houses were already there for decades. Their beach property has been private for decades. And yet, we all got along for decades. Yes, with many BPO's sensibly allocating responsible beach use on their property. Until the overcrowding was turbocharged by agitators, therefore dividing the community.

I urge EVERYONE to read the last few posts by Stone Cold J. The summary and current state analysis are crystal clear, and accurate.

Last edited:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
If I were a BPO I would not Identify myself as the victim. You already have a lot of what you want. So that is your first mistake. The second mistake is to blame the county. You were given permits to build on sand dunes and block views. The third mistake is to believe that The People will not push back on your right to exclude people on the beach. You may win little battles in court but you will lose the court of public opinion no matter how right you are. I would quit blaming The People!

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
So twisted. BFO worked with legislators to pass HB631 and are now bitching about it.

You have entered the twilight zone.

The "entitled" twilight zone. "I've got mine, I got here first and we can't let anyone else in" and yes...they got the bill passed then fought for "compromise" candidates so the BCC would not follow through on the procedures set forth in HB631. They can't have it both ways. What did they expect the BCC to do? Roll over? Nope. 5 to Zero. Anyway, the tourists are not going away and trying to tell them not to come here is a true twilight zone fantasy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
The only compromise I can see is eliminate vending on public, county owned beaches, not as a consolation to make private beaches an easer pill to swallow but to rightly keep the public county owned beaches available for people to set up wherever they wish. Then, work with the BCC and Beachfront owners to set tighter restrictions on the dry sand within 500 to 800 feet of those county owned beach accesses on either side. No tents, no large gatherings, no night parties...only ghost crab chasing with the kids at night. But the dry sand in those areas with restrictions are open to the public to use within the law with strict enforcement and a hot line for beachfront owners to get quick results if anyone gets out of line. Beyond 500 to 800 feet, fewer restrictions because no one walks with all their stuff that far. The "interior" beachfront owners complain the least because people just don't walk long distances dragging their stuff. I truly believe this could set the clock back. Restore the garbage pickup AND "leave no trace" and eliminate the private property, no trespassing signs. Signage would be needed to set the rules plainly and clearly. I truly believe the lawsuits could go away with something like this that addresses the behavior with rules and enforcement. Do a pilot program and try it.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
The only compromise I can see is eliminate vending on public, county owned beaches, not as a consolation to make private beaches an easer pill to swallow but to rightly keep the public county owned beaches available for people to set up wherever they wish. Then, work with the BCC and Beachfront owners to set tighter restrictions on the dry sand within 500 to 800 feet of those county owned beach accesses on either side. No tents, no large gatherings, no night parties...only ghost crab chasing with the kids at night. But the dry sand in those areas with restrictions are open to the public to use within the law with strict enforcement and a hot line for beachfront owners to get quick results if anyone gets out of line. Beyond 500 to 800 feet, fewer restrictions because no one walks with all their stuff that far. The "interior" beachfront owners complain the least because people just don't walk long distances dragging their stuff. I truly believe this could set the clock back. Restore the garbage pickup AND "leave no trace" and eliminate the private property, no trespassing signs. Signage would be needed to set the rules plainly and clearly. I truly believe the lawsuits could go away with something like this that addresses the behavior with rules and enforcement. Do a pilot program and try it.
Excellent - and use red flash lights on the beach for the kids.

And by the way PARENTS!!! Crabs and other beach critters are not there for your kids to hunt down, torture and kill. That appears to be the instinct. Teach them better - to respect all life and protect nature.