• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
At every Public Beach Access there is a sign explaining the Flag System that people seem to ignore on a regular basis.
So Bob, would you like to reopen discussion on what happened on July 3rd, 2018 at Grayton Beach regarding one's reliance on the flag system? Or would your job be threatened for doing so? If you don't want to reply, I understand.

Click for thread.

Last edited:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I do not remember the call. But as you have brought it up again I will venture a guess you haven't discussed the incident with the Beach Safety Director. David Vaughn 8502671090, he is there Monday through Friday and I can assure you he would be in a better position to answer your question than I. I will also say this, the SWFD is pretty transparent in their dealings. I will be there Friday, you are more than Welcome to stop by and I will give you a tour of the Department.
So Bob, would you like to reopen discussion on what happened on July 3rd, 2018 at Grayton Beach regarding one's reliance on the flag system? Or would your job be threatened for doing so? If you don't want to reply, I understand.

Click for thread.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
I do not remember the call. But as you have brought it up again I will venture a guess you haven't discussed the incident with the Beach Safety Director. David Vaughn 8502671090, he is there Monday through Friday and I can assure you he would be in a better position to answer your question than I. I will also say this, the SWFD is pretty transparent in their dealings. I will be there Friday, you are more than Welcome to stop by and I will give you a tour of the Department.

I would venture to guess the same or did not get the answers they may have been looking for to align with their beliefs.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I would venture to guess the same or did not get the answers they may have been looking for to align with their beliefs.
When I looked back on the thread one thing stood out to me, he asked the lifeguard who was there that day about the incident that happened another day. I don't know if they rotate folks to different towers or if they were even in duty on the day in question.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Respectfully, it’s not needed to call the number you suggest as it appears you don’t want to open up a dialogue on the beach flag system with me regarding the events on July 3rd, 2018. I’m fully aware as to what occurred that day. And again, I think I understand why you won’t engage me and respect that.

For the others...
I have a problem with all this cheerleading for a $500 government fine when someone enters the water under a double red flag.

On the flip side, rhetorically speaking, should the county be fined $500 when one person drowns (and almost two others) because the flag system was more than COMPLETELY WRONG that day?

There was no mention of the drownings in the July 2018 SWFD Activity Report or their Facebook page or the local papers. I expect and demand more in the future from SWFD and our local press. Let the public be fully aware that nothing’s perfect and that one can still drown even with all of the flags, lifeguards and other precautions in place out there.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Well then, you know more than I do about the day and the issues. We can talk all day about beach flags but there will be nothing accomplished because those who handle them are more knowledgeable about them than I.

Respectfully, it’s not needed to call the number you suggest as it appears you don’t want to open up a dialogue on the beach flag system with me regarding the events on July 3rd, 2018. I’m fully aware as to what occurred that day. And again, I think I understand why you won’t engage me and respect that.

For the others...
I have a problem with all this cheerleading for a $500 government fine when someone enters the water under a double red flag.

On the flip side, rhetorically speaking, should the county be fined $500 when one person drowns (and almost two others) because the flag system was more than COMPLETELY WRONG that day?

There was no mention of the drownings in the July 2018 SWFD Activity Report or their Facebook page or the local papers. I expect and demand more in the future from SWFD and our local press. Let the public be fully aware that nothing’s perfect and that one can still drown even with all of the flags, lifeguards and other precautions in place out there.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
When I looked back on the thread one thing stood out to me, he asked the lifeguard who was there that day about the incident that happened another day. I don't know if they rotate folks to different towers or if they were even in duty on the day in question.

Agree. I stand by observation.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach

OK....then, please, offer your solutions for how to keep unaware, and/or "rules dont apply to me" people that insist on going in the water under double reds which have a higher probability of needing rescue and thereby endangering the rescuer.

Fines are usually put in place to discourage certain behaviors, i.e. speeding.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
OK....then, please, offer your solutions for how to keep unaware, and/or "rules dont apply to me" people that insist on going in the water under double reds which have a higher probability of needing rescue and thereby endangering the rescuer.

Fines are usually put in place to discourage certain behaviors, i.e. speeding.

It's not just the fine. According to the article fire department, police and beach safety personnel are given the responsibility of enforcing the rules. PCB is doing the best thing for their beaches and are working together to make sure that they implement it as part of their beach safety programs in a unified manner. We've watched PCB make a difference in their beach town with spring break rules etc. Good for them. They don't have customary use issues. I'm not sure about beach vendor takeovers. Sounds like they are doing good things.