• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

tmock12

Beach Comber
Aug 18, 2019
Blue Mountain Beach
Hi everyone! Great ready for another "we're moving to the area, where should we live" post.

My wife and I are in our mid-30s and we have a 5 year old daughter. I've been vacationing in the Destin/Miramar/30A area since I was little, twice before turning 1, so I'm fairly familiar with the area. My entire family is in Atlanta, but I'm a beach boy so Atlanta's a strong no-go for me. Thankfully half my family vacations on 30A, so the area offers me occasional family and the beach. And my parents thankfully have a condo in Seagrove Beach for us to stay in while we home shop.

I keep seeing all the other suggestions of Port Washington and Watersound for young couples and have concerns. We've lived in touristy beach towns before (Hilton Head Island for 3 years and Jacksonville Beach another 3). I've learned from personal experience that if I have to get in a car, drive and park to go to the beach, I very rarely go. However, if I live skateboard or biking distance, I end up going every day. My longest stretch on HHI was 130 days straight, and I only know that from my GPS sports watch. I love surfing, paddling, freediving, spearfishing, kayaking, sailing, outrigger canoe... I really don't want to live so far from the beach.

Reading through these forums will make you terrified of living anywhere near 30A though. It sounds like tourists run rampant through the streets and chase you down with rental golf carts while the umbrella vendor mafia make you pay for their protection, all while being yelled at by some dude saying "Get off my private beach!". Is it really that bad living out near 30A? I've spent a lot of time in Eastern Seagrove and never experienced this. Sure traffic is awful in the summer, but that's just how it is. It was similar in HHI. You just learn when to drive, when to bike and when to wait. I work from home my only commute is taking the kiddo to school.

Are there any places left on 30A that are more full time resident friendly? Especially with kids? Or am I just dreaming here and need to suck it up and move into Watersound?

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Welcome to SoWal!

We have plenty of friends who enjoy living near the beach in South Walton. There are family friendly neighborhoods and certain places with quiet and privacy. We have always lived bayside in the woods where it's all residential, always quiet and very peaceful. The beach is never far away.

But you can find some neighborhoods close to the beach that would be good for family life. Not sure which ones to start with but a realtor will be able to answer your questions and advise you.

Good luck!