• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

outofadream

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2008
Unfortunately times have changed. Back in the day (not too long ago) most people who lived here were passionate about preservation. Now most people who live here are chasing the buck, or just living a "normal" American life - busy and distracted.

I urge people who are passionate about preservation to get involved and organize. There is no reason we shouldn't have a strong preservation group. Check out South Walton Community Council, which has a long legacy of preservation issues. It is an organization with everything needed already on place. We need to come together in this day and age of social media and deals behind closed doors.

The developers and politicians have gotten the upper hand. Until people band together and exert the power of the populace, with adequate work and funding, things are going to go downhill as they have everywhere else in Florida. The momentum of the development dollar has really taken hold here and I don't know if there is any stopping it.
Do you have contact information for this community Council?

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Walton County

Posted on: July 29, 2019

Meeting: South Walton Connector Road Project Development and Environment (PD&E)
South Walton Connector Road Project Development and Environment (PD&E) from County Road (CR) 30A to State Road (SR) 30 (US 98)

Walton County will hold a public meeting concerning the proposed roadway connection between County Road (CR) 30A and State Road (SR) 30 (US 98) on Wednesday, August 21, 2019 at the Dune Lakes Elementary School, 6565 US Highway 98 East, Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459 from 5:00 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

This meeting is being conducted to provide interested persons an opportunity to review project data to date, and to express their views regarding the proposed improvements. The intent of this study is to present the conceptual design, and social, economic, and environmental effects of this proposed connection improvement between CR 30A with SR 30 in Walton County.

The meeting will begin with a brief open house, followed by a presentation to the Walton County Board of County Commissioners, and a discussion period to answer questions and obtain feedback.

Persons wishing to submit written statements, in place of or in addition to oral statements, may do so at the meeting or by sending them to Lauren Boes at the contact information listed below. All information postmarked no later than Saturday, August 31, 2019 will become part of the record of the meeting.

Public participation is solicited without regard to race, color, national origin, age, sex, religion, disability, or family status. Persons who require special accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act or persons who require translation services (free of charge) should contact Lauren Boes at the contact information listed below at least seven (7) days prior to the meeting.

Should you have any questions regarding the project or this meeting, please contact Chance Powell, Walton County Project Manager at (850) 892-8108, or via email at PowChance@co.walton.fl.us, or by mail at 117 Montgomery Circle, DeFuniak Springs, FL 32435. You may also contact Lauren Boes toll free at (866) 940-7275, or via email at Lauren.Boes@atkinsglobal.com, or in writing at 2639 North Monroe Street, Building C, Tallahassee, FL 32303.

SUP Boarder

Beach Lover
Jun 12, 2019
Seacrest
Kurt, thanks for the heads up on this! I sent my comments to Lauren (and Chance)

The community is shaped by those that show up!

soappedaler

Beach Fanatic
Feb 21, 2006
Public Meeting held by Walton County on proposed Connector Road through Point Washington State Forest and Deer Lake State Park

Wednesday August 21, 5:00-6:30 p.m.

Walton County has funded a study in an attempt to fragment and negatively impact our State Parks and Forest. An Agency meeting was held on May 22 attended by all state and federal agencies responsible for the protection and management of these conservation lands. All of the federal and state agencies said NO! Several utility companies in attendance also said NO. It’s time for the public to say NO to roads through our State Parks and Forest.

Our State Parks and Forest are rapidly becoming the only natural areas in South Walton. An additional road will only bring more traffic to Seagrove/Eastern Lake. This proposed road is to funnel the people from St. Joe/Arvida’s additional 50,000 unit development north of 98 in Eastern Walton County to 30A. It will not alleviate traffic, only increase it exponentially.

Please attend this important meeting and speak, three minutes is usually allotted for public comment, you do not have to fill this time. Just go to the podium, state your name and tell them no roads through Point Washington State Forest or Deer Lake State Park! You can expand on this thought if you’d like.

In addition to attending the meeting contact the Commissioners and the project coordinator:
Bill Chapman (850) 835-4860 chabill@co.walton.fl.us
Danny Glidewell (850) 892-4020 glidanny@co.walton.fl.us
Melanie Nipper (850) 892-8474 nipmelanie@co.walton.fl.us
Trey Nick (850) 835-4834 nictrey@co.walton.fl.us
Tony Anderson (850) 231-2978 andtony@co.walton.fl.us
Lauren Boes (866) 940-7275 Lauren.Boes@atkinsglobal.com

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
From the meeting: The engineers are contemplating about 4 alternatives. Three of them would cross through the Pt. Washington State Forest. Alternatives C and D just a little bit east of the powerline, and Alternative B would be a little further east. All three would dump onto 30-A near Eastern Lake. The Florida State Park agency totally would not allow anything through Deer Lake Park. Alternative A was four-laning 395, I kid you not. Virtually the first twenty people who talked were adamantly against any road through the state forest. I left after that.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
From the meeting: The engineers are contemplating about 4 alternatives. Three of them would cross through the Pt. Washington State Forest. Alternatives C and D just a little bit east of the powerline, and Alternative B would be a little further east. All three would dump onto 30-A near Eastern Lake. The Florida State Park agency totally would not allow anything through Deer Lake Park. Alternative A was four-laning 395, I kid you not. Virtually the first twenty people who talked were adamantly against any road through the state forest. I left after that.
4 laning 395? Was that serious? Why not just make 2 lanes northbound and keep it 1 lane southbound, not going to alleviate traffic on 30a east of 395.

Emerald Drifter

Beach Fanatic
Jun 8, 2018
Santa Rosa Beach
I was not able to make it, but I am adamantly against any roads through our state forests.

I don't understand how the county can even consider/discuss/plan on running a road through the state forest? Does a county have some sort of authority over state lands that happen to be in that county? I just assumed that state forests are protected from the "county boys".

Can someone post links where I can learn more about what can and cannot be done with and on state lands?