• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
The flags posted along our 26 miles
of the beach are the same. The conditions are evaluated at a minimum of twice per day to make the call. The scrutiny these guards go through when the flags/conditions are not to everyone’s liking or schedule is incredible. Not to mention the phone calls to SWFD on why and when certain flags will be flown. I too am glad I don’t make that call but I have full confidence in those that do for us. We are fortunate to have a beach safety program that is recognized throughout the southeast and in Florida as a top flight program.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I think the state wide flag system is the best way to go for consistency across all beaches, parks, and places on the coast of Florida, with and without lifeguards.

Education is key. Every Beach town has an obligation to promote the flag system and overall Beach safety activities. Our SWFD Beach Safety program, lifeguards and other staff are outstanding. This year the lifeguards will serve beyond summer into fall for the first time.

Share SWFD on social media! Their daily posts on surf conditions and beach safety, etc, are great sources of information for the public.

SWFD Beach Safety
The new contract extends the peak summer levels of lifeguard staffing through October 31st (previously, the number of lifeguards on duty was reduced at the end of September) and also includes funding for 8 lifeguard staff to be kept on salary year-round.

FB_IMG_1563309537560.jpg

Last edited:

Lisa24

Beach Comber
Mar 27, 2018
Freeport
Why are surfers exempt?
I am only guessing but I believe it is 1)assumed they are swimmers and 2) they have a flotation device attached to them whereas most people entering the waters on a double red flag day are doing so with no flotation device attached to them and usually have had a few cocktails :)

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
The flags posted along our 26 miles of the beach are the same.
I suspected as much but wasn’t sure. Thanks for the info. My reason for inquiring about flag “consistency” in Walton County has to do with what happened on July 3rd, 2018 in Grayton Beach.

Sorry if it appears that I’m overly harping on that event but IMHO there was a total disconnect between the displayed yellow flags of that day and the actual conditions at Grayton Beach.

And here’s the reason:
I recall how rough the surf was that day. And normally I would have expected a red flag and not a yellow flag but will give SWFD the benefit of the doubt. Our beach vendor stated that there were rip tide warnings that day on whatever weather app he uses to help him with weather predictions so that he can determine if he needs to take down the umbrellas because of predicted high winds associated with storms.

But in addition to visible rough surf and the rip tide warnings, my understanding was that the dune lake at Grayton Beach was pouring into the gulf.

Anyone who boats through Destin Pass fully understands how rough the pass can be when the tide is flowing out and the wind is blowing in. It can be like an evil washing machine on steroids.

Again, IMHO, this is exactly why the 11 year old boy got in trouble right there in Grayton Beach in the first place in knee deep water. One, then two adults went after the boy and the first adult did not make it back. He was a 6 foot man in very good physical condition (avid boater, champion Hobie sailor, pickle ball player, etc.). And yet he was overcome by the conditions. The boy was saved by the second man who was just a bystander - BOTH MEN WERE HEROES (no acknowledgement of either by Walton County or the press, BTW).

The point to all the above is that our dune lakes (as we hear over and over) are very unique to Walton County. When there are marginal wind and surf conditions compounded by an outflow, how can the same yellow flag be flying in that vicinity as compared to where there is not an outflow?

That’s why I believe the flag system in Walton County is faulty unless the status of the dune lakes are factored in along with wind and surf conditions at those locations.

FWIW, and for the record, Destin changed their flags from yellow to red that very same afternoon coincidentally around the time the drowning occurred which indicates there was concurrence with my observations. Assuming the same conditions in Walton County, then the flag status of Grayton Beach at the outfall should have been at least a red or even a double red and not a yellow, IMHO, especially if the outfall itself was factored in with the rough surf.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
You do seem to believe there is a conspiracy reference July 3rd. Rather than call and ask someone who might be able to alleviate your concern or prove you correct you would prefer to spread your view with nothing more than your perception.

I suspected as much but wasn’t sure. Thanks for the info. My reason for inquiring about flag “consistency” in Walton County has to do with what happened on July 3rd, 2018 in Grayton Beach.

Sorry if it appears that I’m overly harping on that event but IMHO there was a total disconnect between the displayed yellow flags of that day and the actual conditions at Grayton Beach.

And here’s the reason:
I recall how rough the surf was that day. And normally I would have expected a red flag and not a yellow flag but will give SWFD the benefit of the doubt. Our beach vendor stated that there were rip tide warnings that day on whatever weather app he uses to help him with weather predictions so that he can determine if he needs to take down the umbrellas because of predicted high winds associated with storms.

But in addition to visible rough surf and the rip tide warnings, my understanding was that the dune lake at Grayton Beach was pouring into the gulf.

Anyone who boats through Destin Pass fully understands how rough the pass can be when the tide is flowing out and the wind is blowing in. It can be like an evil washing machine on steroids.

Again, IMHO, this is exactly why the 11 year old boy got in trouble right there in Grayton Beach in the first place in knee deep water. One, then two adults went after the boy and the first adult did not make it back. He was a 6 foot man in very good physical condition (avid boater, champion Hobie sailor, pickle ball player, etc.). And yet he was overcome by the conditions. The boy was saved by the second man who was just a bystander - BOTH MEN WERE HEROES (no acknowledgement of either by Walton County or the press, BTW).

The point to all the above is that our dune lakes (as we hear over and over) are very unique to Walton County. When there are marginal wind and surf conditions compounded by an outflow, how can the same yellow flag be flying in that vicinity as compared to where there is not an outflow?

That’s why I believe the flag system in Walton County is faulty unless the status of the dune lakes are factored in along with wind and surf conditions at those locations.

FWIW, and for the record, Destin changed their flags from yellow to red that very same afternoon coincidentally around the time the drowning occurred which indicates there was concurrence with my observations. Assuming the same conditions in Walton County, then the flag status of Grayton Beach at the outfall should have been at least a red or even a double red and not a yellow, IMHO, especially if the outfall itself was factored in with the rough surf.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
You do seem to believe there is a conspiracy reference July 3rd. Rather than call and ask someone who might be able to alleviate your concern or prove you correct you would prefer to spread your view with nothing more than your perception.

And here’s the reason: