• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
You do seem to believe there is a conspiracy reference July 3rd.
Your word(s), not mine. My last post and my associated conclusions that you just quoted were based on fact. Your conclusions are your own.

Do you have any constructive comments on the dune lakes issue?

I just hope my posts lead to some positive changes so that another drowning like this doesn’t occur in similar circumstances at dune lake locations.

Last edited:

bob1

Beach Fanatic
Jun 26, 2010
Your word(s), not mine. My last post and my associated conclusions that you just quoted were based on fact. Your conclusions are your own.

I just hope my posts lead to some positive changes so that another drowning like this doesn’t occur in similar circumstances at dune lake locations.
:benice:

:sosad:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Actually your words are
"The conspiracy theorist in me (and it's not just my opinion BTW as one can probably guess), believe the threat of losing an almighty tourist dollar (with bad news such as this) trumps the public's need to be informed."

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Bob, you’re exactly right regarding post #21. I admitted to be a conspiracy theorist regarding the downplaying of the event. And it’s hard for any reasonable person not to be. I believe there have been other times.

I’ll remind you again how open Destin is with publishing the details of all drownings per my previous reference and that I have not seen the equivalent here in Walton County. Please correct me if I am wrong.

However the post you just referenced was #38 when you said, “You do seem to believe there is a conspiracy reference July 3rd. ”. IMHO, my post #38 was factual, constructive and clearly addressed the unique issue of dune lakes spilling into the Gulf and the flag system inadequacy of addressing this.

You are 17 posts and 5 days past my own admission of being a “conspiracy theorist” though you probably picked up on my feelings a year ago.

I did say “...BOTH MEN WERE HEROES (no acknowledgement of either by Walton County or the press, BTW)” in post #38. And that was fact. That comment was probably fueled somewhat by emotion since I had the pleasure and honor of being acquainted with both. And using the word HEROES hopefully accentuated the seriousness of what happened.

Bob, I’m still hoping something good can come out of all this....that maybe local flags at dune lakes during an outflow condition might need more scrutiny than just one general flag across 26 miles of beach. Or maybe that lifeguards need to be positioned closer to the outfalls in this situation. Or maybe an extra lifeguard is warranted in those situations at larger outfalls when the surf gets rough. We all know how kids love to play in those “rivers”.

Hopefully you and others can throw in some ideas. But first we have to acknowledge the uniqueness of dune lake locations on the beach.

enfuego

Beach Lover
May 10, 2007
Paradise
Yes, dune lakes are a concern especially when there is a breakout - either natural or man-made. The call for people to exercise caution when they do breakout and not trusting the outflow -like the flags are many times unheeded.

Unfortunately when a tragedy occurs like this -that you seem to be intimately aware of (condolences to you and your acquaintance) there are always questions on the how’s and the whys.

SWFD post safety messages daily about our beaches on rip CURRENTS , severe weather, dune outfalls, etc. They produce media releases on issue like the one you speak of. Whether the media decides to post or print is their decision. I do know the print media contacts them daily so you decide.

I appreciate your concern and many of your thoughts regarding beach flags, where lifeguards are the constant messaging needed to save lives on our beaches. It literally is a full time effort and as I understand it, SWFD will now have a presence on our beaches year round.

I would ask you to please don’t underestimate what these men and woman do- regardless if you think they are kids and confused by your questions and know they work, train and are committed to put themselves in harms way if warranted. There is a lot more than observing what we call “rough surf” to evaluating and posting beach flags. Holes, soft spots and drop offs are just a few.

Not sure if I will reply anymore to this thread as I can’t keep up with keeping count of thread 38, 17, etc.

I would respectfully leave you with a request for you to contact SWFD, speak with the beach safety director, Fire Chief or both and seek to get a first hand response to your questions and suspicions. To not do so makes this just another thread postulating on what someone thinks is reality or fact and somewhat dilutes your passion on the subject. You stated you expect and “demand” more so why not find out?

Last edited: