• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Magee

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2011
Miramar Beach Florida
Over the past week, there have been several cases of Dengue Fever in South Florida, to include a case of West Nile in Bay County. We’ve had a unique summer and with all of the preventive maintenance that the South Walton Mosquito Control District has been performing things are under control.

We do need your help to continue monitoring your property for any standing water, the smallest amount of water in a bottle cap will produce an excellent place for mosquitoes to breed. If you are experiencing any problems on your property, please do not hesitate to contact our organization, we will be happy to come out and survey your property and help eliminate the problem. Remember an ounce of proportion is worth a ton of cure.

As always thank you for your help keeping South Walton safe for everyone.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Has anyone from mosquito control reached out to Waste Management about helping to reduce larva incubating pools? I understand they are hustling and moving fast to collect the trash, but, it seems to me that the simple act of leaving cans and lids that detach from them flat and face down on the ground so as to not become pools would make a huge difference. In our neighborhood, empty cans and lids left facing the sky seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

Magee

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2011
Miramar Beach Florida
Has anyone from mosquito control reached out to Waste Management about helping to reduce larva incubating pools? I understand they are hustling and moving fast to collect the trash, but, it seems to me that the simple act of leaving cans and lids that detach from them flat and face down on the ground so as to not become pools would make a huge difference. In our neighborhood, empty cans and lids left facing the sky seems to be the rule rather than the exception.

Thank you for the question. Obviously, we cannot control the actions of waste management, although they try to do the best job they can in a limited timeframe. As for garbage cans the way I solve this problem is I drill holes in the bottom of my can so that it always drains and does not accumulate pools of water to produce mosquitoes. This is an action that every property owner can do. On a short note, we do survey all commercial dumpsters, ensuring that there are no long-standing pools of water, if there are, we treat them.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
Thank you for the question. Obviously, we cannot control the actions of waste management, although they try to do the best job they can in a limited timeframe. As for garbage cans the way I solve this problem is I drill holes in the bottom of my can so that it always drains and does not accumulate pools of water to produce mosquitoes. This is an action that every property owner can do. On a short note, we do survey all commercial dumpsters, ensuring that there are no long-standing pools of water, if there are, we treat them.
Whoa wait a second, that’s too easy. Do have any ideas that are more complex and require advanced skills?

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
Can mosquito control do anything about the dog flies on the beach? It'd be great if we could cancel the annual dog fly festival this year!!!

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Can mosquito control do anything about the dog flies on the beach? It'd be great if we could cancel the annual dog fly festival this year!!!
NO! They used to spray from giant tanker planes. Doubt it did anything excpet poison ourselves. Dog flies are a minor nuisance for brief times. If they are biting you, go somewhere else!

Magee

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2011
Miramar Beach Florida

Mosquito Control basically has never sprayed for dog flies. Years ago, the state would spray along the coast, mosquito control would provide surveillance for the state. The South Walton Mosquito Control is only allowed to spray for mosquitoes that carry disease. Our friends the dog flies are visitors from Alabama and Georgia, a strong north wind blows them down to our beaches. Other than being a nuisance they do not convey any type of diseases eliminating the ability for the South Walton Mosquito Control to provide services.

The state discontinued the spring for dog flies during the Charlie Chris administration. The reason was that it was too expensive to maintain the plane which was outdated for its time.

I wish I had a better answer for you.