• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Does anyone on either side of the public vs private beach debate agree to a community fish fry? If we care about civility what better way to get to know each other than an old fashioned mullet and grits fish fry like they do up there in Niceville. Reggie, FBB, Bmbv, SCJ, AF, Kathryn and all the private beach supporters along with all the public beach supporters like myself should all put our faces with our words, smile and shake hands human to human. We can let each side have equal time on stage to voice their thoughts and respectful opinions. You know like a community that cares about more than just being right but is trying to find peace and civility with their neighbors. Listen if we can't do something like this we have a bigger problem than public vs private beach. The court will decide the legal stuff so why not let the court do it's job while all of us in the community do our job at being neighborly!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Does anyone on either side of the public vs private beach debate agree to a community fish fry? If we care about civility what better way to get to know each other than an old fashioned mullet and grits fish fry like they do up there in Niceville. Reggie, FBB, Bmbv, SCJ, AF, Kathryn and all the private beach supporters along with all the public beach supporters like myself should all put our faces with our words, smile and shake hands human to human. We can let each side have equal time on stage to voice their thoughts and respectful opinions. You know like a community that cares about more than just being right but is trying to find peace and civility with their neighbors. Listen if we can't do something like this we have a bigger problem than public vs private beach. The court will decide the legal stuff so why not let the court do it's job while all of us in the community do our job at being neighborly!
In fairness, I personally believe it has gone to far with all that has been said to really think people would be able to meet without it getting heated.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Bob, it is truly unfortunate but you are probably right and the cause of this division speaks to both sides. In the old days I think we were able to manage a fish fry for gods sake. What is wrong with us? Apparently we do not value respect and civility as much as we do our principles. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of my principle... I guess happiness in over-rated huh?

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
Bob, it is truly unfortunate but you are probably right and the cause of this division speaks to both sides. In the old days I think we were able to manage a fish fry for gods sake. What is wrong with us? Apparently we do not value respect and civility as much as we do our principles. Life, Liberty and the pursuit of my principle... I guess happiness in over-rated huh?

I’ll organize and pay for the fish fry as soon as our beaches are reaffirmed for customary use and no person may be excluded from any beach in Florida. It might take a long time but then again it might not but in either case it’ll be worth the wait.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
What is wrong with us? Apparently we do not value respect and civility as much as we do our principles.
....says the pot to the kettle.

I’ll organize and pay for the fish fry as soon as our beaches are reaffirmed for customary use and no person may be excluded from any beach in Florida. It might take a long time but then again it might not but in either case it’ll be worth the wait.
BTW, that’s “ACKNOWLEDGMENT” enough for me along with your obviously implied answer of NO to Reggie’s invitation.

Oh Dave, you do know that you have followers on your FBFA Facebook that STILL BELIEVE (very recent comment) that public beach was converted to private beach via quiet title. You nor any of the others made absolutely no attempt to correct that propagated lie. IMHO, your FBFA Facebook page is a sham as I don’t see one dissenting opinion on there unlike here on SoWal. Oh yeah, how could there be? You guys are always right. Bet it feels good to be in control...being able to delete any follower that doesn’t meet your expectations. Talking about war time propaganda.

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB

For the last 100+ years, prior to 2016, the ancient customary use was not use private property over the objection of the property owner. This was the same for every single private property in Walton County, and indeed the State of Florida. Prior to 2016 the BCC NEVER said, or implied, that property rights (right of exclusion) no longer apply in Walton County. Never happened. Just like the FBFA promotion that Public Property was purchased for $400 Quiet Title. Never happened. Or that FBFA promotion that Vizcaya was Public Property that was made Private by HB 631 in 2016. Never happened.

Is there ANY evidence that property rights (in particular the right of exclusion) somehow never existed in Walton County prior to 2016?

Dave, don’t be intimated or embarrassed, The People want to know why Walton county is spending millions of dollars on your battle cry of No Compromise No exceptions. They want to know why you threw Bill Fletcher under the bus, a man who has given so much to Walton County, without the expectation of a financial business reward.

Dave, do you think the county has proved (are even answered the questions) that removing property rights (right of exclusion) is reasonable, without interruption, and without dispute?

Note: That does not mean anyone is getting kicked off the beach. That means it is up the property owner who or how many are allowed on their private property, just like it was for 100+ years prior to 2016.

The easy “compromise” is to buy private property and donate it to the State and make your own rules as part of the donation. Did you ever wonder why cars are allowed on Grayton State Park beach and not Topsail? Or the county can purchase property and turn into public beach (not recommended since IMHO the county currently is not able to manage or protect the unique ecosystem and will turn it into a free for all driven by development dollars). Or we can rally as a community and support purchase of the land like we did with Topsail. The State will protect the ecosystem and manage the density. Or we can continue like we have the 100+ years prior to 2016 and people can use private property with the approval of the owner, or they can go to a public beach, or they can go to a State Park, just like Walton County has been doing for 100+ years.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
FBB, remember there is a lawsuit that will handle the legalities regarding public beach vs private beach. From what I read on this thread there is no compromise on beach exclusion by the BPO's. BTW this forum is social media and ALL of us are posting beliefs or opinions. Our opinions and beliefs of law are irrelevant and subordinate to the court. It does not matter if we are lawyers or brick layers. So, what is relevant in terms of the 30A legacy. First thing that comes to mind is that we now hardly see the beaches because of buildings that are standing where entire ecosystems of sand dunes and beach vegetation. The old 30A had a few single story block buildings and many homes on pilings. These older buildings did not limit access compared to these huge mansions now being built. Therefore a more relevant discussion would involve the laws of nature which is a generalized observation of natural processes? I submit to you the court of public opinion. Your buildings block access, destroy natural processes and the occupants demand exclusive use of the natural resource. Even if you win in court you will lose in the court of public opinion. Why would you choose this path? Common sense would dictate a different path where you have your mansions with exclusive views and share the beach. Your arguments have never made sense to me because this is not a court of law and the thread title only referenced the words "destroy" and "30A" community which are both about natural law.

Stone Cold J

Beach Lover
Jun 6, 2019
SRB
there is no compromise on beach exclusion by the BPO's

Mputnal, there is a compromise, just because 1 of the 1194 private property parcels owners decide to use their private property rights (#3, the right of exclusion) to limit to friends, family, and renters, doesn’t mean that the other 1193 parcels owners are going to do the same. Each parcel owner is free do determine their own parameters of use (and control density management).The same as it has been for last 100+ years prior to the 2016 Beach Ordinance, which is the FIRST EVER to claim private property rights don't apply in Walton County. You can purchase private property and can determine your own parameters or even donate it to the State of Florida.

this is not a court of law and the thread title only referenced the words "destroy" and "30A" community

You are correct, this thread is not a court of law, but the BCC and FBFA (as co-Planfiff) are suing 1194 parcel owner IN A COURT OF LAW, which has cost $2 Million dollars so far, to remove private property rights (right of exclusion). Since Dave refuses to answer the $50 Million Dollar question, how about you? Has the county proven, or even provided any evidence, that the removal of property rights (right of exclusion) is reasonable, without interruption, or without dispute?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
In fairness, I personally believe it has gone to far with all that has been said to really think people would be able to meet without it getting heated.

Even if you win in court you will lose in the court of public opinion.

1 + 1 + 1 = CU Will Destroy Our 30A Legacy.

Already occurred, IMHO.

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
FBB, remember there is a lawsuit that will handle the legalities regarding public beach vs private beach. From what I read on this thread there is no compromise on beach exclusion by the BPO's. BTW this forum is social media and ALL of us are posting beliefs or opinions. Our opinions and beliefs of law are irrelevant and subordinate to the court. It does not matter if we are lawyers or brick layers. So, what is relevant in terms of the 30A legacy. First thing that comes to mind is that we now hardly see the beaches because of buildings that are standing where entire ecosystems of sand dunes and beach vegetation. The old 30A had a few single story block buildings and many homes on pilings. These older buildings did not limit access compared to these huge mansions now being built. Therefore a more relevant discussion would involve the laws of nature which is a generalized observation of natural processes? I submit to you the court of public opinion. Your buildings block access, destroy natural processes and the occupants demand exclusive use of the natural resource. Even if you win in court you will lose in the court of public opinion. Why would you choose this path? Common sense would dictate a different path where you have your mansions with exclusive views and share the beach. Your arguments have never made sense to me because this is not a court of law and the thread title only referenced the words "destroy" and "30A" community which are both about natural law.
Somehow, I get the feeling that surfer dude doesn't see himself as someone who's posting beliefs and opinions.