• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
So rehashing the issue at Edgewater Condos
From above article:
A motion provided with the letter states that Walton County “acknowledged (in the 2009 settlement agreement) that Edgewater’s beachfront property has been historically at all times for the exclusive, private use of Edgewater’s owners and guests.”

So what actually differentiates Edgewater from any other private property in all of Walton County regarding a “property” that has been historically at all times for the exclusive, private use of “property’s owner(s) and guests?

I just find it curious that it took another lawsuit back in 2009 for the county, itself, to actually state what should be already factually legal. However, it appears that Edgewater will shut down CU in court at least on their beach because of this additional affirmation by the county that private property is indeed private.

IMO, if Edgewater does prevail, it surely would open the line of questioning and legal challenges... “Why would Edgewater‘s property be any more private than any other private property in Walton County?” It would be a precedent against CU if Edgewater wins, IMHO.

Last edited:

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
My parents used to own a condo on 30a. Not on the beach but there was a beach access across the road. It was our happy place when I was a lot younger but as South Walton became the hot spot for folks in Atlanta and other places and it became more crowded, it became another world. The last time I went to the beach in South Walton, it wasn't fun because there were so many people and later in the day there was so much trash on the beach left by "the people" on "The People's Beach". A couple of months ago, a friend asked me to go with her to Seaside to see some of her friends who were there on vacation. I couldn't believe the crowds and traffic. We couldn't even find a place to park. What on earth is the allure of South Walton to be the subject of such division?

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Kathryn, you make an excellent point with your philosophical question. One answer is that society has changed from placing more value on the individual than on the community. Some may call this a Western Philosophy or Culture. We are all a part of this culture but some have taken it to a new level. After reading much of what Reggie and others have written in this thread I became aware of just how far people will go to justify their individual success by putting people in two categories: winners and losers. Reggie's message is that we should all be ashamed of being losers if we support public beaches. It was not enough for people like Reggie to build on a sand dune which destroys habitat and blocks views and access of the resource. Exclusive use in property ownership is a very important principle that allows all of us protections BUT this is about the BEACH which is part of the resource that attracts people to South Walton. Reggie believes he owns the beach. Others believe The People own the beach. I have always been in the middle and desire to have a civil society where we compromise our principles. Now that we are in a lawsuit (all of us) there can be no compromise. Since compromise is off the table this thread has become a means of dispensing fear. It is not about solving the problems of crowds and traffic and beach behavior. It has become about winning and losing. Fear has been tossed around like a cheap emotion. We had an opportunity to put our principles aside and solve issues like you refer to. But, now we are divided and must choose a side. Reggie helped me decide. Public beaches must win this for future generations to have access to the South Walton Beaches.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
My parents used to own a condo on 30a. Not on the beach but there was a beach access across the road. It was our happy place when I was a lot younger but as South Walton became the hot spot for folks in Atlanta and other places and it became more crowded, it became another world. The last time I went to the beach in South Walton, it wasn't fun because there were so many people and later in the day there was so much trash on the beach left by "the people" on "The People's Beach". A couple of months ago, a friend asked me to go with her to Seaside to see some of her friends who were there on vacation. I couldn't believe the crowds and traffic. We couldn't even find a place to park. What on earth is the allure of South Walton to be the subject of such division?
This should have been your first post. (Seaside is not the place to judge anything except the current fashions and morals of Atlanta)

The people who own across the street are the ones who suffer greatly from "private" beaches. Often they go to the nearesst access and only have 50 feet of beach. And it is often overcrowded. Surely in the summer. Locals and visitors have issues in the summer months, and Spring Break. Most locals don't go then.

Overcrowding of Florida communities has been happening for more than a century. SoWal is one of the last coastal communities in Florida (actually The US) to see development. It was fun while it lasted but rather than get angry at progress you have to learn to roll with it, or move. Or your life will be miserable.

It's each persons choice, but if things that are inevitable and beyond your control get you upset then you have to change yourself. If you are unwilling or unable to change then you will not be happy and that is a shame because life is fleeting.

In my experience if you're a beach bum at heart, you are able to change. If your life is ruled by deeds and dollars, you want others to change, which is an endless source of frustration and disappointment.

Thus endeth the lesson. :wave:

Last edited by a moderator:

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Truman, that is a very good lesson! We may all know this to be a truth but it never hurts to be reminded so thank you! Blaming and shaming is not productive. Places change. People change. Life is short. Adaptation is our means of survival. If we had leaders who would lead us into the future instead of remaining in the past it would certainly help...

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Just out of curiosity, what would you do if you knew the real names behind the pseudonyms? Would you thank them for their honesty? Would you suddenly give more credence to their words? Would you defend their right to express their opinion without being demeaned or villainized for their views? What would you do if someone proposed a collective sit in on their property?

I have a pseudonym because when I joined several years ago, it seemed that most people had one. I followed suit. If you go back and look, I think you'll find that I don't use my anonymity to make personal attacks, call names, or demean people. I own my words, regardless of the name by which I am known. Seems that all this focus on names is a diversion from sticking to the facts of the topic.

Last edited:

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
"I wish we would all devote the time and energy that goes into bickering and fighting into a campaign for beach etiquette and education for protecting our beach ecosystems and wildlife." (from my comment above).
Interesting that focusing our energies on improving behaviors, educating, and enforcement instead of arguing about what is going to be determined in court doesn't get much traction. Does that mean that working on behaviors and density that caused the issues in the first place is not worth our time and energy? Credit is due to the people who DO try to educate, lead by example, and enforce what they can, but for the people who love to complain and stir up conflict, but not help, no pass for you. For the ones who spread mistruths when you don't even go to the beach or you've only read, but not experienced problems on the beach, no pass for you. For the ones who create animosity and conflict when there isn't any in a number of places on the beach, no pass for you either. If you, personally, have not had a problem, don't assume that what you hear and read is even true or includes all the pertinent facts.

How many of you actually participate in trying to improve the situation? Attend meetings pertaining to vending, beach activities, and other matters that affect our beaches and our community? Make suggestions in writing (email counts) to the BCC (the buck stops with them)? Set a good example on the beach? Encourage others to be aware of their surroundings and be courteous to others on the beach? R-E-S-P-E-C-T is the key word. Respect for our beaches, our environment, our wildlife, and other people on the beach, both residents and visitors.

We're better than this animosity and conflict as a steady diet. At least I'd like to think so.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
FOF, speaking for myself I appreciate and respect the honesty of people using their real names. I also agree with you that it makes little difference if there are no personal attacks, no blaming others, no shaming others, no demeaning others and no repetitive quoting of the same facts. I have read many of your posts and I do not feel that you do any of those things and are able to disagree with others without personally attacking or bullying. The general answers to your questions are yes. However when you hide your identity and then go on the attack you lose all credibility. Being kind is our mission in life. It is just too easy to go off mission when you hide behind a fake name.

Reggie talks about linear thinking which is a straight line from a point (property rights) to a point (exclusive use of the beach). I believe it misses the point of life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness for ALL people as it relates to our beaches. I believe it benefits Reggie to use linear thought but not so much for us losers (his word). I understand why it is necessary for the structure and order of linear thought but "life" has multiple starting points and ending points. Non linear thinking is necessary to expand the search for truth especially when linear thinking only solves the problem for a few. You prefer to talk about "sticking to the facts of the topic" as long as we all agree on the starting point and ending point. But, we do not agree. IMO this is not a straight line topic which benefits a few at the expense of many. If you believe that this topic exists in a neat little box of constitutional rights then I would disagree. Reggie believes that economic fairness and human equality is a fantasy and that he has earned the privilege of his personal private beach. He did not stop there as he expanded the topic into people just wanting something for nothing. This is why linear thinking does not work for this topic. Once he expanded the topic it is now expanded into non linear thinking. Now please answer my question: do you believe in exclusive use of our beaches and why?