• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
As many know, the county bought the old Sandcastles building on 331 to move the visitor center and offices to. It was determined that the old building would be demolished and a new building built.

from TDC:
During their Dec. 9 meeting, the TDC Advisory Council voted to accept conceptual plans for the new Walton County Tourist Development Council discovery center located at 24604 U.S. Highway 331 South in Santa Rosa Beach.

The new facility will serve as the TDC's administrative offices, as well as an expanded discovery center where visitors and locals alike can not only learn more about South Walton, but experience what makes Walton County special. In addition to having a retail space, the new building will also have expanded meeting and event spaces.

As an upscale destination, the TDC's goal is to create a facility that will be a true reflection of South Walton and a space the entire community can be proud of, all while allowing for future growth.

Please us this thread to post info and updates...

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
The plan for the TDC building has been approved. It is a significant project and will be one of the largest buildings in the area. I hope that the public will be able to use some of the space for meetings and gatherings as they do at the library.

See blueprints - https://walton.civicweb.net/document/59099/Presentation and request approval of conceptual.pdf?handle=198BADE4BF184F5F8DA0CD80EADDE188

New Discovery Center&Administrative Offices WaltonCounty Tourist Development Council Walton County, Florida

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Do we know what the TDC will do with the current building in the NE corner of 331 and 98?
Building over the retention pond was a cool idea but not a good one as the moisture caused problems over time. They did some renovations which helped but I don't know if it was a permanent solution or if the building will remain. A dedicated right turn lane north on to 331 would be a good idea but not sure if there is room without demolition and filling the pond.

The land may revert back to State Forest? Would be nice to see it to return it to natural. Maybe build a replica of Coleman Pavilion on the corner, with low impact lighting with different colors on holidays.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Building over the retention pond was a cool idea but not a good one as the moisture caused problems over time. They did some renovations which helped but I don't know if it was a permanent solution or if the building will remain. A dedicated right turn lane north on to 331 would be a good idea but not sure if there is room without demolition and filling the pond.

The land may revert back to State Forest? Would be nice to see it to return it to natural. Maybe build a replica of Coleman Pavilion on the corner, with low impact lighting with different colors on holidays.

It will revert back to state forest, in a few years you won't be able to tell there was anything there.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
I remember the ribbon-cutting for the new building at 331/98. The small one-room visitor center was there previously, but the TDC's administrative office was in Emerald Coast Plaza. I was just thinking to myself, all that money to build that new, beautiful building...and then I remember that was between 20 and 25 years ago. :hmm:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
It will revert back to state forest, in a few years you won't be able to tell there was anything there.
The article states that the county will keep the lease and the intent is for the old building to be used for combined code enforcement offices. Not sure if that is approved yet.