• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
This certainly an interesting approach and has some merit.

1. It will eliminate the unlimited occupation with unlimited equipment for conservation purposes
2. It will protect the turtle nesting area and other wildlife habitat and conserve the beach for future generations
3. It will permit use by the homeowner

It does not meet the 2016 BBC special meeting objective of turning our beach into a free for all to chase billions of tourists dollars, but that is a good thing since chasing billions of tourthat would be at the expense of our sensitive and unique ecosystem
Sounds great!

Except I imagine there will need to be specifics on what equipment is allowed. Pounds per person? By color? Material?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
But if you read the statute it says it can be for "recreation" also. That word covers alot. The way I read it it would put more of an encumbrance on the property owner while making sure that the property would be available to the owner of the easement (the county) from now on. It would prohibit any signs, dumping of sand to "create" dunes so you can build on "un-buildable " lots.
(3) Conservation easements may be acquired by any governmental body or agency or by a charitable corporation or trust whose purposes include protecting natural, scenic, or open space values of real property, assuring its availability for agricultural, forest, recreational, or open space use, protecting natural resources, maintaining or enhancing air or water quality, or preserving sites or properties of historical, architectural, archaeological, or cultural significance.
(13) A conservation easement agreement may include provisions which allow agricultural activities, including, but not limited to, silviculture, forestry management, and livestock grazing, if such activity is a current or historic use of the land placed under easement.
Sounds like it would even allow for the current use of "day camping" and the public "recreating" on the dry sand portion of the beach.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
A conservation easement owned by the County for the purpose of public recreational use and habitat protection is an excellent idea. Something like this could save millions of dollars in lawsuits. However most of the power brokers will probably not go for it because they have money to burn for lawsuits. The power brokers simply do not want to share the beach with the public under any circumstances. They want the power to exclude. Since it is a voluntary program it would take a miracle. Trust me those with money and power know the tax benefits of a conservation easement but it is not as desirable to them compared to the power to exclude the public from the beach. They can prove me wrong of course and I hope they do.