• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

St Lou Cat

Beach Crab
Feb 8, 2020
Missouri
Hey SoWal! don't know if this site is frequented more by locals or visitors, but looking for some guidance. Coming down with several other couples and staying in Topsail Park in cottage and RVs. First time, usually head further south. We know it is not going to be Naples/Miami weather, but wondering how we SHOULD pack for a visit the 3rd week in February. I envision walking the beach, biking and sightseeing and know I am not going to be in shorts and tank tops, but wondering how many layers I am going to need? Also, can anyone recommend some fun things to do/see within an hour drive? Also, are there any restaurants loved by the locals? DDD worthy (diners, drive-ins and dives that is)?

We are obviously coming for your beautiful shore, to relax and spend time together, but too much togetherness may test our patience so we want to be able to "roll and stroll" a few days.

What should we not miss? Thanks for any help you can provide...

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Today was a beautiful day with a high of about 65.Our spring is early but we could get a bit of a cold snap but rarely cooler than 50 with seventies possible. Figure on long sleeve or sweater weather. Drive east on 30A from Topsail and you will have a huge selection of great dining and shopping and natural wonders. Topsail itself is a wonderland with great walking and biking, and plenty of boating in the area.

Xopher

Beach Comber
Oct 22, 2019
Chicago
Hey SoWal! don't know if this site is frequented more by locals or visitors, but looking for some guidance. Coming down with several other couples and staying in Topsail Park in cottage and RVs. First time, usually head further south. We know it is not going to be Naples/Miami weather, but wondering how we SHOULD pack for a visit the 3rd week in February. I envision walking the beach, biking and sightseeing and know I am not going to be in shorts and tank tops, but wondering how many layers I am going to need? Also, can anyone recommend some fun things to do/see within an hour drive? Also, are there any restaurants loved by the locals? DDD worthy (diners, drive-ins and dives that is)?

We are obviously coming for your beautiful shore, to relax and spend time together, but too much togetherness may test our patience so we want to be able to "roll and stroll" a few days.

Hi St Lou Cat,
I’m a Chicago native but own a condo just down the road (30A) from Top Sail, at Sanctuary At Redfish. While I’m not the most qualified to comment on the weather there during February, I agree with Truman. We’ve been there in February and it’s been reasonable weather with the potential to get a little chilly, particularly at night. Shorts during the day is not an unreasonable possibility either. You’ll need to pack a little of everything but leave the heaviest stuff at home. You won’t be swimming in the Gulf this time of year but you can have walks on some of the prettiest beaches in the world. You’ll likely have them nearly all to yourselves.

Make sure you go to Shunk Gulley Oyster Bar. Great atmosphere and food. If you enjoy oysters this place won’t disappoint and they have a lot of other good selections as well.

Enjoy your time and safe travels.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005

You'll be close to Stinky's Fish Camp - great food on the lake across from the gulf and occasional live music.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Elmo's is open for the season down that way on 30A. A very casual seafood joint popular with visitors and locals.

Many other great restaurants on the west side. Check out Local Catch. Basmatis Asian Cuisine for a special night out. Stinky's Fish Camp always a great time. You'll be close to Grand Boulevard on HWY 98 with many shop and dine spots. Or Louis Louis on HWY 98. La Playa at Gulf Place is a casual taco spot with a great spot just across the street from the Gulf.

Ocean Club restaurant is nearby at Topsl Resort. A very nice place for dinner.

The weather has been very mild so far with a few cold snaps. Enjoy your time at Topsail Hill Preserve State Park and let us know what you discover!

Xopher

Beach Comber
Oct 22, 2019
Chicago
I wanted to expand a little on my previous response because I really didn’t do the area justice. There are so many fantastic restaurants and bars. I will give you a list of our favorites in the area you’ll be staying but it is by no means a comprehensive list. I also wanted to give you a brief description of the little stretch of paradise known as “30-A”.

30A is nestled in between Destin and Panama City Beach. They are both “touristy” cities (think miniature golf, go carts and souvenir shops).

Scenic Hwy. 30-A is a collection of beach neighborhoods with unique restaurants, art galleries and cafes. 30-A has a much more laid back and authentic feel than it’s bookend parent cities to the east and west.

There’s a bike path along the entire length of 30-A and bike rental places peppered throughout nearly every neighborhood. Fat Daddy’s Bike shop is fairly close if you’re in the market to rent.

There are several state parks in the area with Point Washington being the largest and basically encompassing much of the north side of 30-A

Many of the larger and more popular neighborhoods are on the east side of 30-A. Seaside, Alys, Rosemary Beach etc. Each have their own distinctive look and attractions. It’s fun to sight see and stop in the shops, bars and cafes etc.

Some of our personal favorite places to eat or grab a beverage of choice (most are very close to where you’ll be staying)

The Donut Hole on Hwy 98. (Great breakfast place)
Shunk Gulley (they have good oysters and a nice vibe)
Stinky’s Fish Camp (good seafood)
The Bay (favorite place for dinner)
The food trailers in Seaside (“The Meldown” is a favorite)
Pickles
The Great Southern Cafe in Seaside (the key lime pie is divine)
The Craft Bar in Destin (the hush puppies with the raspberry/habenaro sauce and strawberry butter is ridiculously good).

Last but not least...Shrimpers Seafood Market. It’s not a restaurant but you can order their shrimp (very large, very fresh shrimp by the way) and they will season them and steam them while you wait. You can them take them home or where ever you want to enjoy.

Okay, I’ll shut up now. I hope these Suggestions work for you all...sorry...”Y’all”. Im envious. I can’t wait to get back down there myself.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
I wanted to expand a little on my previous response because I really didn’t do the area justice. There are so many fantastic restaurants and bars. I will give you a list of our favorites in the area you’ll be staying but it is by no means a comprehensive list. I also wanted to give you a brief description of the little stretch of paradise known as “30-A”.

30A is nestled in between Destin and Panama City Beach. They are both “touristy” cities (think miniature golf, go carts and souvenir shops).

Scenic Hwy. 30-A is a collection of beach neighborhoods with unique restaurants, art galleries and cafes. 30-A has a much more laid back and authentic feel than it’s bookend parent cities to the east and west.

There’s a bike path along the entire length of 30-A and bike rental places peppered throughout nearly every neighborhood. Fat Daddy’s Bike shop is fairly close if you’re in the market to rent.

There are several state parks in the area with Point Washington being the largest and basically encompassing much of the north side of 30-A

Many of the larger and more popular neighborhoods are on the east side of 30-A. Seaside, Alys, Rosemary Beach etc. Each have their own distinctive look and attractions. It’s fun to site see and stop in the shops, bars and cafes etc.

Some of our personal favorite places to eat or grab a beverage of choice (most are very close to where you’ll be staying)

Pickles
The Craft Bar in Destin (the hush puppies with the raspberry/habenaro sauce and strawberry butter is ridiculously good).

Last but not least...Shrimpers Seafood Market. It’s not a restaurant but you can order their shrimp (very large, very fresh shrimp by the way) and they will season them and steam them while you wait. You can them take them home or where ever you want to enjoy.

Okay, I’ll shut up now. I hope these Suggestions work for you all...sorry...”Y’all”. Im envious. I can’t wait to get back down there myself.
Excellent suggestions. We love all of your places. Just a little tip though - you have it mostly right but locals call what you describe as South Walton or SoWal - 30A is a road. As you said, a scenic highway. You can stay along 30A, near 30A, off 30A, etc but you can't be "in" 30A. It's actually more of a brand and we don't like being a brand. We are a community that existed long before the brand.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com

Many of the larger and more popular neighborhoods are on the east side of 30-A. Seaside, Alys, Rosemary Beach etc. Each have their own distinctive look and attractions. It’s fun to sight see and stop in the shops, bars and cafes etc.

Pickles

Good overview!

30A is a scenic highway that runs along the Gulf of Mexico in South Walton. South Walton is the south part of Walton County Florida, south of the bay and between Bay County and Okaloosa County. Our beach towns are definitely worth visiting from Inlet Beach to Miramar Beach and from beach to bay! See Eden Gardens State Park in Point Washington, bayside.

Other state parks worth visiting: Deer Lake State Park and Grayton Beach State Park.

Xopher

Beach Comber
Oct 22, 2019
Chicago
Excellent suggestions. We love all of your places. Just a little tip though - you have it mostly right but locals call what you describe as South Walton or SoWal - 30A is a road. As you said, a scenic highway. You can stay along 30A, near 30A, off 30A, etc but you can't be "in" 30A. It's actually more of a brand and we don't like being a brand. We are a community that existed long before the brand.
Apologies, I already knew what you’ve outlined in your thread and I certainly get it. I just didn’t word it very well (maybe the 30-A branding has me a little brainwashed as well). So I will amend my comment to say “the little stretch of paradise ALONG scenic highway 30-A”

Forgive me for I am but a silly northerner.