• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
This gulf front cottage in Blue Mountain Beach looks like it's about to be moved. Anyone know the destination? I'm glad it's being saved, so many are going in to the landfill.

200329-blue-mountain-005-sowal-2000.jpg

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
A Seaside resident claims he was going to have his 2 Seaside homes moved, but then tore them down. I guess moving is a big production. Also, there have been other Seaside houses torn down and rebuilt. 10 years from now, will we still recognize it? Grayton is the biggest change.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
A Seaside resident claims he was going to have his 2 Seaside homes moved, but then tore them down. I guess moving is a big production. Also, there have been other Seaside houses torn down and rebuilt. 10 years from now, will we still recognize it? Grayton is the biggest change.
It is a big production and is about $50k minimum for a single trailer, short move. Paige and Mark Schnell recently moved a cottage to Pine Street in Grayton Beach and are renovating it. It doesn't happen very often and is a labor of love and love of old homes.

Many of the old cottages in Grayton Beach were moved there from Point Washington. They were originally workers' homes at the sawmill that operated in Point Washington a hundred years ago.

My favorite cottage story is the "Smith House" that used to be across from the Red Bar and was moved up the street after a hurricane washed it off its foundation in 95. Tuffy Smith of DeFuniak Springs built it from cypress lumber that washed up on the beach from a barge that caught fire in the Gulf.

We used to stay in it at its old location before it had air conditioning!

ts.jpg

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
It is a big production and is about $50k minimum for a single trailer, short move. Paige and Mark Schnell recently moved a cottage to Pine Street in Grayton Beach and are renovating it. It doesn't happen very often and is a labor of love and love of old homes.

Many of the old cottages in Grayton Beach were moved there from Point Washington. They were originally workers' homes at the sawmill that operated in Point Washington a hundred years ago.

My favorite cottage story is the "Smith House" that used to be across from the Red Bar and was moved up the street after a hurricane washed it off its foundation in 95. Tuffy Smith of DeFuniak Springs built it from cypress lumber that washed up on the beach from a barge that caught fire in the Gulf.

We used to stay in it at its old location before it had air conditioning!

View attachment 82570

I knew it would be a challenge to move a fairly big 2 story house plus another one with a loft. Plus the porches. Would have had to be dismantled. We are counting down to our May vacation, but I have a feeling it will be May, 2021 instead. Hoping rescheduling will still be an option.