• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
Headland Avenue Access disappeared. It appears that the homeowners in the area are suing and strong arming the county into actions that are not good for the rest of us.

This photo is the Headland access. They just covered it up and hid it.

headland.jpg

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
What map are you looking at that got rid of Montigo
It may still show as an access on some maps but it is gated now.

It was designated an undeveloped county access. Now I'm told it is no longer a county owned access.

Walton County TDC Beach Operations Department
924 South County Hwy 83
Santa Rosa Beach, FL 32459
(850) 267-4578

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch

By DOTTY NIST

A lawsuit settlement approved by Walton County in fall 2021 is bringing changes to the Gulf Shore Manor subdivision, including the relocation of the public dune walkover and residential development expected at two beach access points.

The Gulf Shore Manor subdivision

The Gulf Shore Manor subdivision is a historic gulf front community established in 1925 and located along CR-30A in the Seagrove area. The 142-acre subdivision is bordered by Pelayo Avenue on the east and Barcelona Avenue to the west, and the northern boundary abuts Point Washington State Forest.

At the south end of the subdivision’s five platted north-south right-of-ways are access points to the beach, four of those being the Santa Clara Regional Beach Access and the San Juan, Pelayo, and Barcelona Avenue/Dothan Street neighborhood public beach accesses. A beach access point at the south end of Montigo Avenue is undeveloped with just a sandy path leading to the gulf that is used by beachgoers.

Improvements constructed by the county are present at four of the subdivision beach access points. The neighborhood public beach accesses at Pelayo Avenue, Barcelona Avenue/Dothan Avenue, and San Juan Avenue have county-maintained dune walkovers. The Santa Clara Regional Beach Access also has a walkover, plus a large parking area, restrooms, and other public amenities.

Portions of the subdivision’s platted right-of-ways are undeveloped.

Read More >

Last edited by a moderator:

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
Not sure about the thread title, the Gulf Shore Manor Property Owners Association is in favor of public beach access and use, from what I understand. Maybe they are "fighting for" beach access.
I'm sure the article is accurate I just get tripped up by legaleze and subterfuge. I always assume when the county gets sued over beach access or development that it's a home owner or group wanting to build or close off the beach to the public. Is this all about closing beaches or some owner(s) wanting to build? Is that why the county is having to move our access? They get threatened with a $25 million dollar lawsuit and the "settlement" is to move the access so they can squeeze another house in?

Who is SHH Investments, L.L.C.?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
They were after a lot more, but what they got were eight parcels in the subdivision, including three that used to be considered neighborhood beach access property and others that were undeveloped platted roads.