• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
If my backyard or frontyard were to become a hotbed of tourism activity and the county decided to close it for the general welfare of the citizens and to discourage tourism and the spread of this virus, then so be it.

Bob, hope you're enjoying retirement. I'm sure its nice to know you have a check coming in regardless of the complete shutdown of the economy in our area. But I digress.

I think you completely missed my point regarding the actual beach density BEFORE the BCC took the EXTRA step of excluding private property owners from their own property.

Once again, the beaches were practically EMPTY after the public beaches were closed and after the short term rental ban. THEN the BCC shutdown privately owned beaches just for the hell of it. Over 99% of the desired result for reducing the number of people on the beach was achieved BEFORE the private beach shutdown. Now, if you disagree with that observation show me some consistent proof. The live camera feeds that I saw FULLY support my position along with comments from on social media.

Now, after all these years, I know the majority of everybody here on SoWal disagree with every comment I make.

You have been relatively reasonable through the years even though we disagree on customary use as well as the drowning in Grayton Beach (lack of info dissemination) on July 3rd, 2018. I just wish that once, just once, you could be respectful with the very valid point that I made regarding the core issue at hand - extremely low beach density BEFORE the BCC closed our private property. BTW I'm not asking you to take a side on customary use and the subject at hand has absolutely nothing to do CU.

Mark my words, the next major controversy (much sooner than later) will be how soon the beaches will open back up. I can't imagine being in the service industry....the ABSOLUTE attitude that nobody should be in South Walton except locals is causing such economic damage to all, especially those in the service industry who have little to no financial reserves. And the point of private beach usage by owners will seem so insignificant and petty. And again the point is a few extra private property owners using the beach would not change the pandemic in the least.

Of course this assumes that the highly dense private properties (Seaside, Rosemary) would voluntarily stay closed as they did BEFORE the BCC closed all private beaches, even single homes.

Stay well and I truly hope retirement agrees with you.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob, hope you're enjoying retirement. I'm sure its nice to know you have a check coming in regardless of the complete shutdown of the economy in our area. But I digress.

I think you completely missed my point regarding the actual beach density BEFORE the BCC took the EXTRA step of excluding private property owners from their own property.

Once again, the beaches were practically EMPTY after the public beaches were closed and after the short term rental ban. THEN the BCC shutdown privately owned beaches just for the hell of it. Over 99% of the desired result for reducing the number of people on the beach was achieved BEFORE the private beach shutdown. Now, if you disagree with that observation show me some consistent proof. The live camera feeds that I saw FULLY support my position along with comments from on social media.

Now, after all these years, I know the majority of everybody here on SoWal disagree with every comment I make.

You have been relatively reasonable through the years even though we disagree on customary use as well as the drowning in Grayton Beach (lack of info dissemination) on July 3rd, 2018. I just wish that once, just once, you could be respectful with the very valid point that I made regarding the core issue at hand - extremely low beach density BEFORE the BCC closed our private property. BTW I'm not asking you to take a side on customary use and the subject at hand has absolutely nothing to do CU.

Mark my words, the next major controversy (much sooner than later) will be how soon the beaches will open back up. I can't imagine being in the service industry....the ABSOLUTE attitude that nobody should be in South Walton except locals is causing such economic damage to all, especially those in the service industry who have little to no financial reserves. And the point of private beach usage by owners will seem so insignificant and petty. And again the point is a few extra private property owners using the beach would not change the pandemic in the least.

Of course this assumes that the highly dense private properties (Seaside, Rosemary) would voluntarily stay closed as they did BEFORE the BCC closed all private beaches, even single homes.

Stay well and I truly hope retirement agrees with you.
Retirement didn't agree with me and am working at a different agency. I am pro customary use and that hasn't changed. This issue here is different for me than that. Let me be clear, I don't want folks to get Covid 19, period. I don't want them to congregate on the beach behind your house or Huckabees. I don't want renters or a large family gathering deciding they want a family reunion. I do think outside of customary use, the health and wellbeing of the community is important, period. I have pretty much kept my mouth shut as to the customary use issue because it is in the courts and they will decide it. Government has a responsibility and personally I think it did the right thing.
As an aside, when folks want to call me out with snarky remarks, I am at least a person of integrity who will say what I believe and put my name on it. I participate in this community and at least attempt a certain modicum of respect even when I disagree. I owe that to most everyone I meet, even those who use screen names. I don't ask you to agree with me, hell I don't even want to change your mind. As I tell myself and others, opinions are like assholes, everyone has one.

One last thing, I have encouraged you to find out about the "Grayton Beach Drowning" by asking someone who has the info they could disseminate. You for whatever reason have failed to do it. Take the tinfoil hat off and go talk to David Vaughn 2671090.

Last edited:

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
To go along with your wishes that nobody gets the virus is shared by everyone, including me.

Now to the point, you COMPLETELY ignored my reference to the fact that the private beaches were practically empty before the BCC decided to trample on private property rights. It absolutely was not necessary to close these basically unused private properties as there was no threat to the “public” whatsoever. Please reread my last post and I think I made that point perfectly clear. You make it sound like parties were taking place, but they weren’t.

And just because Judge Vinson ruled for the county against private property rights, doesn’t necessarily make his decision right (appeal on the horizon?). EVERYBODY was surprised by it, including the county attorney. It still is private property regardless.

The inconvenient truth of the matter is the BCC shut down private beaches because they can pass any ordinance / order they want. Yes, that’s right….just like they did when they declared private beach public with NO DUE PROCESS (the state then had to spank them hard and void that customary use ordinance). The county doesn’t always do the right thing – that may surprise some. So it’s typically up to the harmed citizen to file suit / defend against the county at considerable expense, time, effort and emotional distress.

Let’s get down to brass tacks…..
The real reason, IMHO, the county shut down private beaches was because of optics. I’m confident they were flooded with complaints from those who were not able to go to the beach because public beaches were already closed. To appease the masses, they decided to shut down private beaches as well to make their constituents happy as there was no “clear and present danger” of crowds descending on those private beaches.

Now, if the BCC had not had a horrible track record of infringing on private property rights regarding the initial customary use ordinance, I sincerely believe “we” would have looked the other way when they closed the private beaches considering the pandemic and what we were being told by CDC (in general).

And now just a couple weeks after the decision, Jacksonville beaches have opened up. Georgia beaches are open. Georgia is lifting other bans. The rest of Florida is probably in line.

To me, closing of private beaches was an overreaction by the BCC for questionable reasons.

“……As an aside, when folks want to call me out with snarky remarks, I am at least a person of integrity who will say what I believe and put my name on it.”.
So are you inferring that I’m not a person of integrity? BTW, I reread my post to you and found it respectful with no snarky remarks whatsoever – just trying to state my position; not unless my pointing out that we disagree on the two issues offended you.

“…..Take the tinfoil hat off…”
Would your statement be considered snarky????

Regarding the drowning in Grayton Beach on July 3rd, 2018, I don’t need to call David Vaughn to find out what happened. I didn’t mean for us to rehash all that but merely pointed it out as one of two things we disagreed on as to how it was handled by the county.

But since you are instructing me to take the tinfoil hat off and make calls, you seem to be bothered with my understanding of the events of the drowning. In my opinion your comment was rude and condescending. But that’s OK. Admins, please don’t delete his post – I can handle it, really.

I spoke first hand to the people that were at the beach including the brave man from Fort Walton who saved the kid but couldn’t save the great uncle of the kid who was trying to save the kid and ended up drowning. By the way, the brave man got ZIP recognition for his VERY HEROIC ACT from the county. For others, the link to the thread is here:
SWFD June Activity Report

And one critical point to add to the event, only yellow flags were flying that day when the weather service was issuing riptide WARNINGS all day long. Okaloosa changed their yellow flag to red on the SAME AFTERNOON that the drowning took place. That combined with the deafening silence by Walton County of the drowning is why I get "worked up" about this event. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Looking forward to some semblance of normalcy in Santa Rosa Beach and when we can all get along.

leeboy

Beach Lover
Aug 19, 2015
To go along with your wishes that nobody gets the virus is shared by everyone, including me.

Now to the point, you COMPLETELY ignored my reference to the fact that the private beaches were practically empty before the BCC decided to trample on private property rights. It absolutely was not necessary to close these basically unused private properties as there was no threat to the “public” whatsoever. Please reread my last post and I think I made that point perfectly clear. You make it sound like parties were taking place, but they weren’t.

And just because Judge Vinson ruled for the county against private property rights, doesn’t necessarily make his decision right (appeal on the horizon?). EVERYBODY was surprised by it, including the county attorney. It still is private property regardless.

The inconvenient truth of the matter is the BCC shut down private beaches because they can pass any ordinance / order they want. Yes, that’s right….just like they did when they declared private beach public with NO DUE PROCESS (the state then had to spank them hard and void that customary use ordinance). The county doesn’t always do the right thing – that may surprise some. So it’s typically up to the harmed citizen to file suit / defend against the county at considerable expense, time, effort and emotional distress.

Let’s get down to brass tacks…..
The real reason, IMHO, the county shut down private beaches was because of optics. I’m confident they were flooded with complaints from those who were not able to go to the beach because public beaches were already closed. To appease the masses, they decided to shut down private beaches as well to make their constituents happy as there was no “clear and present danger” of crowds descending on those private beaches.

Now, if the BCC had not had a horrible track record of infringing on private property rights regarding the initial customary use ordinance, I sincerely believe “we” would have looked the other way when they closed the private beaches considering the pandemic and what we were being told by CDC (in general).

And now just a couple weeks after the decision, Jacksonville beaches have opened up. Georgia beaches are open. Georgia is lifting other bans. The rest of Florida is probably in line.

To me, closing of private beaches was an overreaction by the BCC for questionable reasons.

“……As an aside, when folks want to call me out with snarky remarks, I am at least a person of integrity who will say what I believe and put my name on it.”.
So are you inferring that I’m not a person of integrity? BTW, I reread my post to you and found it respectful with no snarky remarks whatsoever – just trying to state my position; not unless my pointing out that we disagree on the two issues offended you.

“…..Take the tinfoil hat off…”
Would your statement be considered snarky????

Regarding the drowning in Grayton Beach on July 3rd, 2018, I don’t need to call David Vaughn to find out what happened. I didn’t mean for us to rehash all that but merely pointed it out as one of two things we disagreed on as to how it was handled by the county.

But since you are instructing me to take the tinfoil hat off and make calls, you seem to be bothered with my understanding of the events of the drowning. In my opinion your comment was rude and condescending. But that’s OK. Admins, please don’t delete his post – I can handle it, really.

I spoke first hand to the people that were at the beach including the brave man from Fort Walton who saved the kid but couldn’t save the great uncle of the kid who was trying to save the kid and ended up drowning. By the way, the brave man got ZIP recognition for his VERY HEROIC ACT from the county. For others, the link to the thread is here:
SWFD June Activity Report

And one critical point to add to the event, only yellow flags were flying that day when the weather service was issuing riptide WARNINGS all day long. Okaloosa changed their yellow flag to red on the SAME AFTERNOON that the drowning took place. That combined with the deafening silence by Walton County of the drowning is why I get "worked up" about this event. If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck.....

Looking forward to some semblance of normalcy in Santa Rosa Beach and when we can all get along.
I think you should check your priorities and start losing your shyt instead because the BCCallows people to level dunes and put up buildings in their place. Could you get behind the ordinance?

SUP View

Beach Lover
Jul 22, 2019
Above Water
SUP View said:
Thanks.

Can't think of a time when a family visit would not be "essential".

Even to the crazy aunt or uncle.

You know, if you're wanting them to live.

Straight from the SJW-morally superior-"we know better than you" playbook of replies.

Must take quite an effort to reach that level of misery.