• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
So May 1st, the first day of a month, is a magical date when it’s suddenly safe to open beaches? If it’s safe now just open them right now. If it’s not, what is so magical about the start of May? This is what causes doubt in public policy, when the days of the month are used to make determinations instead of a data driven response. Millions of dollars are lost everyday with these closures, give the confidence to believe you are operating out of safety not convenient dates.
Don't be deluded into thinking they are setting this date based on it being safe. They have absolutely no data to make this decision based on safety. Think about it: how in the world would they know the level of contamination from every source these visitors are coming from? This decision is so shortsighted, it borders on criminal. I have no idea why people can't understand that the problem is not social distancing on the beach. You can stay away each other there to a certain extent. The problem is when these visitors go to the convenience stores and grocery stores, and restaurants, if they are allowed to open. Just picture a typical scene of the masses packed into Publix on a typical Memorial Day. Does that seem safe to you?

Mark Edmonds

Beach Crab
Apr 19, 2020
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
The point is they are not making any decisions based on safety. By picking a date to open instead of saying “based on the data and recommendations from medical professionals...” it shows just how pointless all of this is. If you are making decisions based on safety then fine, leave it locked down until the data shows it is safe. But when you act like there is some magical day like May 1st, you prove that it is pointless to be shutdown over the next week. If you are going to disregard public safety then just open today. Why should restaurants, renters and every other business and local suffer for a single extra day? There is no difference between May 1st and April 24th other than lost revenue with no increase in public health.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
How about an emergency meeting to decide how to aid the residents and small businesses of Walton County? I see other counties and cities providing monetary aid. Walton County is one of the richest areas on the planet. The people of this county have protected the environment and worked hard to create the wealth. It is time to give some back to the hard working people who created the golden goose economy.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The point is they are not making any decisions based on safety. By picking a date to open instead of saying “based on the data and recommendations from medical professionals...” it shows just how pointless all of this is. If you are making decisions based on safety then fine, leave it locked down until the data shows it is safe. But when you act like there is some magical day like May 1st, you prove that it is pointless to be shutdown over the next week. If you are going to disregard public safety then just open today. Why should restaurants, renters and every other business and local suffer for a single extra day? There is no difference between May 1st and April 24th other than lost revenue with no increase in public health.
The governor will determine what happens and when regarding restaurants and rentals. I would think the county could just wait for these decisions. But they are watching our neighbors open beaches for locals and I guess they are trying to do something similar. As far as the date, I think it gives them and Sheriff and South Walton Fire a few days to prepare for beach patrol, enforcement, etc.

I am proud of Walton County to have closed the beaches in mid March when things were crazy crowded. They acted to protect the community. I would like to see them wait a while longer to open up the beaches for many reasons. Groups of 10 is safe social distancing? I don't think so. People are still visiting. And now more will come.

Poppaj

SoWal Insider
Oct 9, 2015
How about an emergency meeting to decide how to aid the residents and small businesses of Walton County? I see other counties and cities providing monetary aid. Walton County is one of the richest areas on the planet. The people of this county have protected the environment and worked hard to create the wealth. It is time to give some back to the hard working people who created the golden goose economy.
In addition it would help if our governor would get the unemployment benefits to the people who are suffering. Florida ranks at the bottom in processing claims.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Just a reminder: Memorial Day happens in May. Good luck.

Ty Webb

Beach Lover
Jan 19, 2020
Miramar Beach
Don't be deluded into thinking they are setting this date based on it being safe. They have absolutely no data to make this decision based on safety. Think about it: how in the world would they know the level of contamination from every source these visitors are coming from? This decision is so shortsighted, it borders on criminal. I have no idea why people can't understand that the problem is not social distancing on the beach. You can stay away each other there to a certain extent. The problem is when these visitors go to the convenience stores and grocery stores, and restaurants, if they are allowed to open. Just picture a typical scene of the masses packed into Publix on a typical Memorial Day. Does that seem safe to you?

YOU stay inside with your curtains drawn and with your mask on. Problem solved.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
In addition it would help if our governor would get the unemployment benefits to the people who are suffering. Florida ranks at the bottom in processing claims.

In ky the department handling the claims had to hire up to 1200 people to answer the phones. Normally it would be 10 or 12 people. Huge amount of claims to work through in most states. (But we do have the most popular governor.) Ellen