• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Boy

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2013
It is very difficult in my line of work to plan a vacation. Wife and I had a trip planned for June 25-30 for months now only to have it evaporate due to the coronavirus. We are now thinking about a trip to 30A. I know that nobody can predict for sure when or if the suspension on vacation rentals will end by our dates, however any information on the likelihood that might happen by the above dates would be greatly appreciated. If we can't take a vacation on the above dates, it will be quite a while before we can plan another. TIA.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
You're right there is no easy answer.

There will be enormous pressure on state govt to open rentals and they would like nothing better than to do so. I guess it will come down to numbers of infected in local areas and our drive markets. A big question in my mind is whether they do it by region. If SoWal is open and Orlando isn't then more people would come here and Orlando would be hopping mad.

Political pressure will keep rising and without clear direction from leadership it is all up in the air. We are going to likely see numbers rise with the openings and reopenings here and in our drive markets. A rise in GA and FLA infections may delay rentals.

I keep an eye on a lot of sites like
ArcGIS Dashboards

However FLA has stopped reporting deaths so keep that in mind when looking at it.

BeachKrab

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2018
Seagrove
Considering the home rental market comprises about 17% of the Florida hotel/resort market It makes no sense why either everything isn’t shut down or that home rentals are especially allowed given they are way more safe compared to a high concentration hotel. Guess the lobbyists for the hotels are much stronger and more organized than individual home renter-owners could ever hope to be.

T-Boy

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2013
Well the owner I'm dealing with is telling me he is "hearing" mid to end of May is when the ban is likely to be lifted and he will refund if its not. Which I understand is what most owners are agreeing to.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I have been watching the governors updates daily and I have not heard him give any hints as to when he might open them. As for the home vs. resort/hotels......I personally dont see any difference and think they should ALL be included in the short term rental ban. I do not however think homes are safer. The amount of time it takes to clean/sanitize a small 2 bed hotel room is nothing compared to a 4-6 BR home. You cant even get all the linens washed, much less all the surfaces sanitized. I wouldnt want to sleep in a house, in a bed, that a possibly infected family was sleeping in less that 3 hours before.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I have been watching the governors updates daily and I have not heard him give any hints as to when he might open them. As for the home vs. resort/hotels......I personally dont see any difference and think they should ALL be included in the short term rental ban. I do not however think homes are safer. The amount of time it takes to clean/sanitize a small 2 bed hotel room is nothing compared to a 4-6 BR home. You cant even get all the linens washed, much less all the surfaces sanitized. I wouldnt want to sleep in a house, in a bed, that a possibly infected family was sleeping in less that 3 hours before.
Even when rentals return.. there will be a 72 Hour wait before new guess can check end... so rental periods will not be every Sat.-Sat.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Spoiler Alert: You want be happy with this...

Florida Phase 2 Rentals
If the governor agrees with the task force recommendations for Phase 2, though, vacation rentals will be allowed to begin limited operations. According to the task force report, that would include:

Open but operating for in-state reservations only (i.e. only Florida residents)
Rentals to visitors traveling internationally – or from a state or locality with a substantial community spread of COVID-19 – are specifically banned

A mandatory 72-hour hiatus between guest check-ins during which time the rental will be effectively cleaned and disinfected.

Short-term rental units would be required to have signage in all units detailing the cleaning and sanitation procedures

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I think that "Florida residents only" thing will work about as well as the current ban has been..... but I will give it another week and see how the numbers look ...

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
And keep in mind the task force suggestions can be ignored or changed by the Governor.

RL41

Beach Lover
Mar 8, 2019
30A
My understanding is that mid May is the *very earliest* that the rental ban may be modified, more likely end of May, early June. Remember, it is covered under Phase 1 of the re-opening, which only began *2 days ago*.

Status
Not open for further replies.