• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
Dawn, that you are offended does not make you right. And your moral superiority complex is showing. You are consistently partisan. Those who post on such blogs as this almost always are. Some are intellectually honest about it. Others less so. I'm libertarian philosophically, and I think a look at how Walton County is governed is a microcosmic example of why.

One does not need to be a partisan to read and interpret numbers, and the numbers and the actions of the two governors clearly indicate that DeSantis has done a better job than Cuomo. Your rationalization blanket statement excusing NYC as a whole different animal strikes me as reflexive partisanship. When the facts are on your side, argue the facts. When not, pound the table, and you have.

Is Cuomo to blame for Coronavirus in NY and NYC? No. Could he have done a better job? It appears to me that he certainly could have.

Is DeSantis to blame for Coronavirus in FL? No. Could he have done a better job? I think so. Did he do a better job and make better choices than Cuomo? I think so, and the results to date are supportive of that proposition.

That said, I think, in distinct contrast to you and the majority usually posting on this board that both, indeed, nearly all, governors have over-reacted and violated our fundamental rights under our system of law and government.

We have faced and will continue to face old and new infectious diseases that will kill many. They always have, and they always will. Shutdowns are largely tinkering at the margins in the long run health-wise, but they are harbingers of doom economically.

We have faced and will continue to face governments at all levels populated, read as dominated, by people seeking power and using crises to acquire more of it. Funny thing how many crises are directly caused by the actions of government. And they never let a good crisis go to waste.

Be careful what you wish for. You may have read of The Great Depression, but you are likely too young to have had much interaction with people whose lives were profoundly impacted by it. I'm insufficiently young and have had lots of such interactions. Those living through it didn't have much good to say about the experience or the aftermath for many of those survivors.

I sincerely hope you don't have occasion to experience another Great Depression, but I would not bet the rent money against one. If guys like Cuomo can mandate sending known active Covid cases to nursing homes, just how much arrogant stupidity are they capable of?
You lost me at libertarian and microcosmic.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
The Republican governors of three states—Georgia, Texas and Florida—that pushed their states to reopen quickly face low marks in their handling of the outbreak, a new poll finds, while governors from both parties that took a more cautious approach to easing restrictions have won praise.

The poll, conducted by the Washington Post and Ipsos in a survey of over 8,000 adults, shows that a governor’s approach to reopening transcends politics, despite the partisan politics playing out over President Trump’s handling of the virus.

The poll found Georgia Governor Brian Kemp, who was slow to shut down his state and one of the first to reopen, with the lowest approval rating at 39%, while Texas Governor Greg Abbott and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis earned the second- and third-lowest marks at 57% and 60%, respectively.

The highest mark was given to Ohio Republican Governor Mike DeWine at 87% approval, who has been heralded for his measured approach to opening the state; New York Governor Andrew Cuomo and California Governor Gavin Newsom, both Democrats, earned the next highest approval with approval from about eight in ten adults.

Forbes May 12
GOP Governors Who Reopened Quickly Met With Low Approval Ratings, New Poll Finds

sleepswithdogs

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2018
Southeast
We have had a lot of “movement” in the homes that are in our community. I know who my neighbors are for the most part. Can someone catch me up to speed bc apparently the reps at Vacasa are saying they are currently allowed to rent to Florida residents? Then someone else mentioned that the rental ban has been extended another 60 days...... ????

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
We have had a lot of “movement” in the homes that are in our community. I know who my neighbors are for the most part. Can someone catch me up to speed bc apparently the reps at Vacasa are saying they are currently allowed to rent to Florida residents? Then someone else mentioned that the rental ban has been extended another 60 days...... ????
No they arent allowed to rent to FL residents yet. The governor said that WHEN he opens the rentals up (possibly in Phase 2) that it MAY only be to FL residents. The rental ban has a date of "indefinite" right now. So they are breaking the law and can be reported to the sheriffs office and he will come make sure the persons there are LEGALLY there or else they will be asked to leave. If they are from certain states they will be made to isolate or leave.

Status
Not open for further replies.