• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I am wondering if our county "lobbyist" has spoken to any of the cleaning companies that clean these rentals and found out how much is involved in "sanitizing" a mega mansion that sleeps 20? Are all the homeowners ready for that bill when it hits? And what if it isnt properly done and someone gets sick (and even worse dies) and it can get traced back to said rental? Are they ready for that lawsuit (coz you know how people like to sue around here) or have they drawn up a new contract with renters that say "rent at your own risk"? How many small business cleaning company owners can handle that lawsuit when the homeowner blames it on them? Those cleaning folks might want to drawn up a new contract as well. Just a few questions that might come up while our county is in a hurry to rush this opening thru as fast as possible.

Petermoh

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach
I am wondering who at our county level is responding to the govs request, it is a mixed group of opinions and expertise?

Last edited:

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I am wondering who at our county level is responding to the gods request, it is a mixed group of opinions and expertise?
I am thinking its probably more of a "copy/paste" of the CDC guidelines...

Petermoh

Beach Comber
Oct 17, 2019
Santa Rosa Beach
I am thinking its probably more of a "copy/paste" of the CDC guidelines...
It needs more fore thought than just a copy and paste. It needs to be founded on science not emotion. the big players need an input and the vrbo folks must comply as well. What can the rental managers live with? I have heard of three days off between rentals. Is that doable? I have read about the lack of cleaning supplies. etc etc. An entire new business entity has emerged as we start short term rentals. Sensitization vs disinfecting? I am not sure if the staffing or training exists today. Regulation vs enforcement. right, definitely more than a copy and paste.

Last edited:

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Domestic Travel

CDC recommends you stay home as much as possible and practice social distancing. Traveling to visit friends and family increases your chances of getting and spreading COVID-19. It is possible for someone to have COVID-19 and spread it to others, even if they have no symptoms. Getting infected may be especially dangerous if you or your loved ones are at higher risk for severe complications from COVID-19. People at higher risk for complications need to take extra precautions.

Although it can be hard to remain apart from loved ones during challenging or stressful times, try to connect with them in other ways, using video chats or phone calls.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
It needs more fore thought than just a copy and paste. What can the rental managers live with? I have heard of three days off between rentals. Is that doable? I have read about the lack of cleaning supplies. etc etc. An entire new business entity has emerged as we start short term rentals. Sensitization vs disinfecting? I am not sure if the staffing or training exists today. Regulation vs enforcement. right, definitely more than a copy and paste.
I agree. There is ALOT more that is going to be discussed with the affected businesses but after reading post #16 I am not so sure they are doing more than that. Or are they just going to go to the FDPR/Gov. with a plan that looks good on paper and then leave it up to the owners/management companies/cleaning companies to implement it. Seems like they are more worried about getting them open and giving in to owners that probably havent really thought it thru either. I know of a hairdresser that was complaining for weeks about them opening salons but when it finally happened they were freaking out and couldnt take clients for at least 2 weeks because they didnt have a plan on how to safely reopen. Its one thing to push to open and another to have a viable plan to open.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Just mylmy opinion.... We're less than two weeks into phase 1. Too soon to know the effects and now they want to open STR and pretend there is no pandemic. Not only is this risky for health reasons, it's also risky from an infrastructure and supply chain perspective. I don't think our stores and other businesses are ready for the number of people that opening STR will bring to our area. We're barely keeping up with the folks that are currently here.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Talk of lawsuits is going too far. The governor is moving fast and people will keep coming and we have to work together and do the best we can to keep our community and visitors safe. Sooner rather than later vacation rentals will be open and we will have a lot of people here.

As our COVID-19 situation in South Walton continues to evolve we'll posting news and updates from our partners and friends on their procedures and operations, in particular what they are doing to keep clean and safe to protect guests and patrons. Please be extra patient and understanding as safe procedures and cleaning will take extra work and more time.

I am encouraged by the fact that we have been partially open (quite a lot of people and activity) for two weeks and no new cases in SoWal recorded. I was afraid we would see new cases among restaurant, retail, service workers, etc. If we have none or very few over the next two weeks that will be very good news.

Think for a moment about our construction sites and workers. They have not slowed down. The interaction on job sites, lunch sites, family life, suppliers, deliveries, etc has been non-stop. And yet no cases, and even if there are some unrecorded it is not spreading.

It appears if large gatherings like church, parties, nightclubs, etc are not happening then spreading is minimized and easier to isolate. We should hold off on group events and gatherings. Our restaurants will likely be the places with the most people together.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
As one whose husband is in the construction industry, I can say that the majority of those workers are coming from the north end of the county and that is where the most recent cases have been. I also know of some that are sick and not going to the doctor/hospitals due to their immigration status. Sowal as a whole depends on most of their workforce coming from the north end of the county.